PDA

View Full Version : Sandbach Canyon - Eiger North Face

Iceaxe
12-24-2011, 08:50 AM
This is impressive and worth 15 minutes of your cyber canyoneering life.

:popcorn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fH6WIdxDVE

jumar
12-26-2011, 01:45 PM
:2thumbs:

ratagonia
12-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Pretty awesome stuff!!!!

T :moses:

Felicia
12-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Wow! What a beautiful place. :2thumbs:

peakbaggers
12-27-2011, 06:43 AM
Who woulda thunk - canyoning on the north face of the Eiger! Never would have occurred to me to look there. Was almost as much a spelunking adventure as a canyoning one. Noticed a few similarities in equipment - piranha's & 5.10 boots, but they shoulda had an Imlay pack! Looks like there's a new market for you, Tom. :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
12-27-2011, 09:32 AM
The one thing I kept thinking while watching the video... there is not a lot of margin for error with that ice cold water.

I also assume the canyon is somewhat like Echo in regards to snow and ice in that what you experience this year might be totally different next year.

While watching the video I was also saddened by the fact that Echo is now closed in the winter and spring so most canyoneers will never get the chance to experience the snow and ice conditions that create a unique wonderland. Maybe getting Echo opened back up in the spring is a job the new American Canyoneers could work on once they get rolling full steam ahead. It would be great if the park opened the canyon back up to those qualified and proper equipped.

restrac2000
12-27-2011, 09:51 AM
The acoustic Metallica and Red Hot Chili Peppers was an interesting choice of music. Wild conditions.

Phillip

ratagonia
12-27-2011, 10:22 AM
The one thing I kept thinking while watching the video... there is not a lot of margin for error with that ice cold water.

I also assume the canyon is somewhat like Echo in regards to snow and ice in that what you experience this year might be totally different next year.

While watching the video I was also saddened by the fact that Echo is now closed in the winter and spring so most canyoneers will never get the chance to experience the snow and ice conditions that create a unique wonderland. Maybe getting Echo opened back up in the spring is a job the new American Canyoneers could work on once they get rolling full steam ahead. It would be great if the park opened the canyon back up to those qualified and proper equipped.

Echo's closed? Now? I think not.

Tom

Iceaxe
12-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Echo's closed? Now? I think not.

:roll:

It will be closed soon as the conditions progress beyond the skill level of rap-n-swim kiddie canyoneer.... same as it is every year when the conditions become more challenging/entertaining (and yes, I'm aware occationally we don't get those years).

:cool2:

And after last year I'm afraid this might also become standard practice for the Subway...

:cry1:

Sun Dance
12-27-2011, 11:32 AM
The acoustic Metallica and Red Hot Chili Peppers was an interesting choice of music. Wild conditions.

Phillip

Isn't that Nirvana?

Cirrus2000
12-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Fun video - thanks for passing that along, Shane. Interesting watching them "drill, baby, drill" - wonder how many other options there were, if any.

Yes, Oasis (Wonderwall), Nirvana (Come as you are), and RHCP (Otherside) were the 3 I recognized. RHCP drove me nuts trying to name it. I like the idea of just taking basic chord changes, done through some simple music program, and looping/improvising with them for the soundtrack. Less likely to get snagged by YouTube that way.

restrac2000
12-27-2011, 05:14 PM
wearing headphones helped. Not sure how I confused the Nirvana riff with Metallica. RHCP stood out to me for some reason.

Phillip