PDA

View Full Version : Help First time dSLR advice

skiclimb3287
12-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Carrie and I have been saving up to purchase our first dSLR camera and would love some advice from all the phenomenal photographers around here. We decided that with all the places we visit, it is about time we get a good camera. After quite a bit of research, it seems to us the the best camera in our price range is the Canon EOS Rebel T3i. After Christmas, we will have $1050 saved (including the money we each chip in as our "gift to ourselves").

Our thoughts right now are that we want the camera with a good all purpose lens (the kit lens?) and also a good telephoto. We figure that is the best way to spend the money. What can we actually get for our money that is worthwhile? I don't want to buy a lens that I feel I need to replace in the next year or two.

To give you an idea of our intended use: we spend a lot of time car camping in the desert, canyoneering, hiking, etc. A few backpacking trips a year, but nothing where we are too concerned about weight. Lots of petroglyph and ruins hunting (OK, well not lots compared to others here...)

Thanks in advance for the help !!!! :hail2thechief:
Ryan

Deadeye008
12-08-2011, 02:02 PM
I have the Canon T2i. I bought it just after the T3i was released and got the body for $650 because I already have a selection of lenses. In my opinion the features of the T3i vs T2i do not justify the added cost. I'm not sure what you can pick up a T2i for not but I imagine it is at least a couple hundred less than the T3i. The kit lens is an ok lens except when you are shooting in low light, then it suffers. I would recommend not getting the kit lens but instead getting the Tamron 17-50 2.8. Get the first version, which is the version without the image stabilization technology. It is not very useful on a wide lens like that and it will cost you less. The tamron is a steller lens. Very sharp at all apertures and is great in low light. As far as a telephoto lens. I have heard very good things about the Canon 55-250. The only lower end telephoto lens I have experience with is the Canon 100-300. It is a decent lens but again will not be very good in low light. You might also want to look at finding a used Canon 70-200 F4 lens. You can usually find a used non-IS one for around $400. I owned one before I upgraded to the 2.8 IS version and it is a great lens.

Deadeye008
12-08-2011, 02:17 PM
This looks like a good deal and well within your budget. You can always upgrade to the Tamron afterwards if you don't like the kit lens. My opinions might be biased about the kit lens because I have been spoiled by being able to use higher quality lenses. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-18-55mm-55-250mm-Telephoto/dp/B005Z3DWHK/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323382628&sr=1-10

RedSpecialized
12-08-2011, 04:02 PM
I don't claim to be an expert in photography, but for a consumer camera the Panasonic DMC-GH2H is what id get. I have a step sown the g2. The gh2h will shoot 1080p wth auto focus and it is smaller than most dslrs. I love mine. Look it up on web has great reviews.

oldno7
12-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Maybe not what your looking for, but I have this kit for sale on a photography forum.

I'll sell it here for $475

Includes:

XSi body
18-55is lens, front and rear caps, hood
58mm canon UV filter
remote trigger(on strap)
Canon soft case
battery
charger
original box,cd's

gnwatts
12-08-2011, 11:29 PM
I don't claim to be an expert in photography, but for a consumer camera the Panasonic DMC-GH2H is what id get. I have a step sown the g2. The gh2h will shoot 1080p wth auto focus and it is smaller than most dslrs. I love mine. Look it up on web has great reviews.

X2 on the Panasonic DMC GH2 . I have had 2 DMC's (the DMC-L1 is the best camera I ever owned).
I have not used a micro 4/3 camera, but this camera looks great, perfect size for a backpack. I have friends that love the micro 4/3's system (mirrorless), so it is smaller.
It has a good video function too.