PDA

View Full Version : Help Which are your favorite winter canyons?

Dan-wild
12-03-2011, 10:33 PM
I am new to canyoneering. I have descended five technical canyons in the North Wash area now, and I am looking to expand my horizons. Unfortunately I started at the end of the warm season, but I am not giving up hope just yet! If you have any ideas or previous experiences regarding mostly dry canyons with fun rappels I would appreciate suggestions. My friend is a baby and doesn't want to get wet. ;)

(The title of this tread should read "which are your favorite "WINTER" canyons?)

ratagonia
12-03-2011, 11:47 PM
I am new to canyoneering. I have descended five technical canyons in the North Wash area now, and I am looking to expand my horizons. Unfortunately I started at the end of the warm season, but I am not giving up hope just yet! If you have any ideas or previous experiences regarding mostly dry canyons with fun rappels I would appreciate suggestions. My friend is a baby and doesn't want to get wet. ;)

(The title of this tread should read "which are your favorite "WINTER" canyons?)

Welcome to the Group Dan, and to the obsession. Which 5 have you done in North Wash, and what did you think of them?

North Wash is one of the best places in winter and spring - with warmer weather more places become viable.

(You can change the title, but I am not sure how).

Tom

Iceaxe
12-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Moab is also excellent for winter canyoneering. For the most part the canyons are shorter, dry and beginner friendly, all of which makes for good winter slots.

As an added bonus rooms are normally really cheap in winter. Last week nice rooms could be had for $35 a night. And warm rooms and hot showers at night really improve winter canyoneering in my book.

Moab Canyoneering Routes (http://www.climb-utah.com/Moab/index.htm)

http://www.climb-utah.com/Moab/Files/granary1.jpg

spinesnaper
12-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Moab is also excellent for winter canyoneering. For the most part the canyons are shorter, dry and beginner friendly, all of which makes for good winter slots.

As an added bonus rooms are normally really cheap in winter. Last week nice rooms could be had for $35 a night. And warm rooms and hot showers at night really improve winter canyoneering in my book.

What do you mean Winter Canyoneering? The Desert Pearl is my preferred canyoneering base camp for Zion Canyons. Nothing like soaking in the hot tub by the pool after a long day canyoneering.:cool2:

Ken

Dan-wild
12-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Tom,

I have descended the east fork of leprechaun, the west fork of blarney, the east fork of shillelagh, morrocco canyon, and death canyon. They were all amazing, and I am hoping to do shenanigans, and monkey business sometime soon. I have been obsessed with canyons ever since, and I think I'll be doing many more next year! You're online canyoneering guide has been amazing, and helped me out a lot. Thanks for the amazing free resource!

CarpeyBiggs
12-04-2011, 08:43 PM
nice. if you've liked what you've seen so far in north wash, it only gets better, in my opinion. monkey business makes a pretty good winter canyon, as it is usually dry (but sometimes there is a neck deep pothole in it) as does middle leprechaun. i recommend middle lep before you go into shenanigans. the poison springs stuff typically is pretty dry, and also hog 1 and miss piggy (hog 4) are good winter canyons (all the hogs can be, but 2 has a swim, and 3 is a step up in risk exposure).

the mini-slots from wyodave have plenty of winter options also.

Dan-wild
12-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Iceaxe-

Thanks a lot for the resource. This actually helps me out a lot. I was trying to find more information on canyons in the Moab area and this is great! I've gotta get out there!

-Dan

Iceaxe
12-04-2011, 09:04 PM
The Desert Pearl is my preferred canyoneering base camp for Zion Canyons. Nothing like soaking in the hot tub by the pool after a long day canyoneering.:cool2:

Sweet :2thumbs:

In Zion we normally do margarita's around the pool before catching a late dinner. :nod:

Renatomic808
12-05-2011, 03:08 PM
What's winter?

Summit2Sea
12-07-2011, 03:09 PM
I like going south to the San Gabriel Mountains... When the waters flowin' the canyons are great!!!