PDA

View Full Version : Information Requisition #36-A, RE: Easy Hiking

yetigonecrazy
11-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Hello all.

I know this is the forum for hardcore men and women, and you don't like to be bothered by mere mortals asking questions about easy hiking in flat slots with no rappels. However, you all seem to be the best source of beta around for Utah and it's sinuous passages. So if you want to answer, thank you, I appreciate everything greatly! And if you don't want to, thanks for stopping by and have a great day.

My informational requests revolve around a number of canyons my family (mother and father, both 50ish, slot experience but no climbing), some friends and I are going to be poking around in next year. Just basically looking for access updates and updated beta. Target time will be April next year. On some canyons it will be all of us, so no rappels or super intense things. On some it will be myself and a friend or two, all of whom are experienced canyoneers, but we wont have rapping gear.

Cannonville Area:
+ Is Bob Ott (per M. Kelsey's 6th Ed Paria book) still the man to call for access to the Cannonville Entrada slots? Still the same number?
+ If water in Bull Valley: wetsuits? Last year when we were there BVG had as much water as Willis, and we were chased off because all we had was dry canyon gear.
+ Is Booker Slot worth it for two adept canyoneers in sprint mode? Gonna be at Round Valley anyway....

Kanab:
+ Red Canyon/Peek a Boo: Out and back? Or loop hike? Any new/changed obstructions? What about a long trip into the slot, down the wash to 89?

Orderville/Glendale:
+ Red Hollow/Spring Hollow/Red Cave/Elkhart Cliffs: What's the best bang for buck for the hiker? Will have the whole crowd here so looking for easiest/longest/most beautiful options.

East Zion:
+ Clear Creek: Looking for a route option that gets the most narrows, has access to better side narrows, and is still accessible via hiking to and from the road.

Also, whats access to Tantalus Flats/Lower Bowns Res between Boulder Mtn and Cap Reef to like in April? If it's been dry for a little while can you get up to the lake below via Pleasant Creek?

Again thank you for any information you are willing to share. I appreciate it greatly. Thanks and have a great day!

Iceaxe
11-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Welcome to Bogley :2thumbs: We were all noobs at one time or anther.

You should have Buckskin Gulch on your list (Just east of Kanab). Visit from Wire Pass as an out and back if you want the easy version.

IMHO - Wire Pass/Buckskin is better than many of the routes on your list and is beginner friendly. The through hike from Wire Pass to White House is probably the best slot canyon hike on the Colorado Plateau, but its a very long day. FWIW: Buckskin Gulch is often billed as the worlds longest slot canyon.

http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/buckskin.htm

http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/Files/buckskin1.jpg

maarten.1975
11-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Good evening, here some feedback from a not-yet-hardcore canyoneer. In my experience-level I am currently switching from non-technical canyon-hiking to

deathtointernet
11-25-2011, 02:20 PM
East Zion:
+ Clear Creek: Looking for a route option that gets the most narrows, has access to better side narrows, and is still accessible via hiking to and from the road.

Essentially all of Clear Creek is accessible from the road. In the upper section, between Parunuweap Pass Canyon (just west of Peak 5455 on the maps) and the east entrance, the narrows are fairly short, with essentially no obstacles to speak of whatsoever. The best section in my opinion is the stretch of narrows immediately downstream of Separation Canyon (the broad canyon east of Peak 6715). In the lower canyon it is essentially all good narrow sections from just upstream of Upper Pine Creek (the narrows just above the confluence with Upper Pine Creek has a neat little arch that shouldn't be missed) to Gifford Canyon. However these narrows are often blocked by pools of water... probably almost certain in April. Depends on the winter. This last winter Clear Creek was full of fast flowing freezing cold water in April. There are some minor boulders and whatnot to scramble down in these sections, nothing that would challenge any solid hiker except in swift water. If I was going to be hiking it just for the best narrows, and if it was a dry winter, I'd probably drop in around Cockeye Falls (the big falls a little bit east of the small tunnel) and hike to Gifford Canyon and back. This would get the best narrows plus allow access to Hidden Gardens and Cascading Falls. But be prepared for water in those narrows. If it was a snowy winter and the creek was flowing I'd check out a few of the slot sections both upstream and down from Many Pools and include a side trip to that tributary, which is extremely enjoyable when there's a lot of snowmelt). Hope that helps.

https://picasaweb.google.com/deathtointernet/ZionNationalPark111011ClearCreekAndPetroglyphCanyo n?authuser=0&feat=directlink

yetigonecrazy
11-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks everybody for the information so far, I appreciate it greatly!

Iceaxe, maarten.1975: Thanks for the tips on Buckskin and & LWH, we've actually done both of those several times apiece, so that's why we were looking for some more obscure canyons that we haven't been in yet. But I appreciate the enthusiasm! Iceaxe, you probably get this alot, but thanks for all the work you do on your website!! My dad and I are frequent visitors, your directions have taken us a lot of places in UT. Great stuff!!

@deathtointernet (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=18339) : Thanks for the Clear Creek info. If there is running water as you said, would wetsuits make it a more manageable experience? You mentioned some small obstacles, but nothing major, how much water are we talking? 5 CFS? 50 CFS? My folks would pass on that, but my buddies and I would eat that for breakfast if some wetsuits could be applied to ward off the cold.....

Thanks again for all the information so far. Gettin there!

deathtointernet
11-29-2011, 06:22 AM
In the lower sections of narrows there are some boulders to scramble over, and when I say scramble I'm talking about something I was considering taking a six year old kid on. The biggest one is like a four foot drop with a very obvious ledge to make the step down. Now flowing water will complicate it but only in a few spots because most of the canyon is fairly wide. It's just is going to depend a lot on how the meltoff of the snow is progressing. If we don't get much or if it warms up early, it could all be done before April and then it would just be pools. The water would be cold, what with it being snowmelt and all, but wetsuits could take care of that. Might even be quite fun as a simple way to get a 'slot canyon experience' without doing anything serious.

Clear Creek near Hidden Gardens in mid-March this year. Not a very strong flow but the meltoff wasn't nearly complete yet. The water was *extremely* cold. We actually waded this section without wetsuits, and despite being short and only shin-deep I could barely stand it.

Mid-April, this is water flowing over a drop in Pine Creek, so just downstream of Clear Creek. This is the melt-off in full swing, happening later than usual thanks to a big snow year. Just keep in mind there's no obstacles like this drop in Clear Creek, but the flow would be similar.

And this is the end of Clear Creek near Gifford Canyon at the end of April. Meltoff is complete, flow is gone. In the narrows there would be pools. Clear Creek changes frequently so tough to say how deep they would be.

yetigonecrazy
12-02-2011, 06:51 AM
stellar info! cant thank you enough man, this is just what i was lookin for.

is there a resource somewhere that has a map of all those little fingerling canyons along clear creek named? thanks again!

still lookin for other info, anybody? give yourself something to do on a cold n windy winter day, dig up some old pictures and send me some info. santa will put you on his "nice" list if you do.

deathtointernet
12-06-2011, 07:18 PM
is there a resource somewhere that has a map of all those little fingerling canyons along clear creek named? thanks again!

Never seen a map that really includes all the various canyons. I track what I do on Google Earth, so this is what I have:

That's just what I have done, not all there is. Probably easier to see if you download it and zoom in. Some of the names for the canyons I've explored I could find nothing on so I just made up my own, anyone feel free to correct me if there's an agreed upon name I'm missing. Good descriptions of many of these hikes can be found on Bo and Tanya's site at http://www.zionnational-park.com/ Of these hikes I have a few favorites. Many Pools is excellent if timed right when there's a lot of meltoff coming down it. No narrow sections but nice waterfalls, plus makes for a good (if a little brushy) scrambling route to Deertrap Mountain. Shelf Canyon right by the tunnel is very short but has a good narrow slot that's easy to reach. Petroglyph is of course popular if that's your thing. Lots of neat stuff can be assessed via Gifford Canyon but that starts to get fairly far afield from Clear Creek.

peakbaggers
12-07-2011, 07:09 AM
In the Escalante area, I certainly would not rule out Peek-A-Boo, Spooky and lower Brimstone. Even the access walk along Dry Fork Coyote to these is nice. Took our family there when the kids were young teenagers and they had as much fun as going to Disneyland. If you can still get down the first drop in Egypt 3 with just a handline, almost all of that canyon is doable until you get to the rappel near the end from the small arch, but you can easily exit there. There'd probably water in the pothole section that would be fairly cold still. In another part of the Escalante, there's Little Death Hollow, a non-technical but long day hike. Also, in the Swell, besides the Little Wildhorse-Bell loop there's also lower Chute, Crack and Ding/Dang. Upper Eardley is non-technical, but not really a slot. Nearby is also Moonshine Wash (about 25 miles south from Green River) While mostly a shallow canyon, has about 30 minutes of nice narrows with short drops.) In the Moab area, there are all kinds of good hikes on Shane's site. Though also not a slot, the hike up or down North Fork of Mill Creek just out of Moab is a beautiful canyon with high walls and with an inviting, flowing stream. That time of year, there will also be water flowing some in Rill Creek which intersects N. Fork Mill Creek.
In Zion, the hike up Hidden Canyon from the bottom is both spectacular & offers some fun scrambling the further back up canyon you go.
Don't know if any of these will fit your route & trip plan, but that's where we would send people looking for "family" fun.

yetigonecrazy
12-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Wow, that is quite a map! Thanks so much for posting thaat. My pops and I paired that with the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated "Zion" map and the recommended website, and it makkes quite the amount of beta for the area. Thanks everyone for the info and recommendations!

We've done Peek A Boo and Spooky; we're aiming to add Brimstone to our list next spring. We'd also like to do Little Death Hollow sometime but we've heard there is a bit of a hike in to actually reach the narrows so we haven't been in there yet. Never checked out anything in the Egypt but would like to get over there.

Done Crack and Ding/Dang, but not lower Chute. How is Upper Chute (from the top or bottom) for hikers?

Been in Reid Nielsen a couple of times, and have future plans for Straight Wash/Upper Eardley. We really enjoyed Reid Nielsen! Underrated gem there.

The waterfall outside of Moab is neat, but we generally eschew the Moab area because of the crowds.

Thanks again everyone for all the great info. Keep it coming! Now that we have the Clear Creek area covered,lets get some other info going. Still looking for lots of other info, Cannonville, Bull Valley, Booker, Elkhart/Red Canyon, Red Hollow, Capitol Reef, anything else is appreciated! Thanks!!

yetigonecrazy
01-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Just wanted to bump and see if I could get a little bit more info.

We've ruled out some canyons for our April trip, goodbyes got mailed to Bull Valley, Booker, and Capitol Reef.

RE: Mt C/Orderville/Glendale area- what is the best bang for buck among the canyons (Red Cave, Elkhart Cliffs, Sand Wash, Spring Wash) in that valley? Ive read the beta on Shane's site, and others, and know most of them are short, with some raps, but what are your personal recs? Any favorites? Any to skip?

As always, thanks for the great info! This is how a forum should work. Nice change from some boater and skier forums I am a member on.

ratagonia
01-24-2012, 09:04 PM
RE: Mt C/Orderville/Glendale area- what is the best bang for buck among the canyons (Red Cave, Elkhart Cliffs, Sand Wash, Spring Wash) in that valley? Ive read the beta on Shane's site, and others, and know most of them are short, with some raps, but what are your personal recs? Any favorites? Any to skip?

I recommend skipping them all. Worth the drive over to Zion to get a bit more bang for your buck.

Tom :moses:

Deathcricket
01-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Don't overlook Kanarraville canyon, it's very family friendly and has some gorgeous narrows. :2thumbs:

Branin
01-27-2012, 02:29 AM
I recommend skipping them all. Worth the drive over to Zion to get a bit more bang for your buck.

Tom :moses:
Zion is serious bang for your buck if you walk in, look up, and walk out, canyoneering aside. :mrgreen:
Me->50900<-Zion

Branin
01-27-2012, 02:30 AM
Don't overlook Kanarraville canyon, it's very family friendly and has some gorgeous narrows. :2thumbs:
Spring Creek just down the road is awfully pretty too.

yetigonecrazy
01-30-2012, 06:29 AM
thanks everyone for the input! i think people are missing my requests though....

yes....zion is incredible. thats why weve already been there fifty times. no, we will not be going in the main canyon. yes, its awe inspiring. but our awe has been inspired countrless times already, thats why we're trying to explore new areas of the park we havent seen.

our trip itinerary is fairly set, we know where we will be staying, and that is near Mt Carmel. so....if you have any info recent info about the Mt Carmel slots (Red Caves/Elkhart/Red Hollow) that is new from C-U and others, then I would love to hear it. If not, then thanks for looking and have a good day.

thanks for the tip on kanarra and spring canyons, theyre on my list down the road but unfortunately we wont be on that side of the park, so another time.

also....Bob Ott still the man in Cannonville? Thanks again to everyone for the info.