PDA

View Full Version : News Survival student rescued from quick sand

trackrunner
11-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Survival student rescued from quick sand in rural utah

By Janelle STecklein
The Salt Lake Tribune

A college student who was attempting to complete a wilderness survival expedition had to be rescued Thursday after he became trapped in quicksand.

Wayne County Sheriff

maarten.1975
11-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Hmmm, that must have sucked....... :naughty:
the muddy substance I mean.

Good to hear that he survived though, however I'm afraid he didn't pass the for the survival-expedition.

Felicia
11-24-2011, 11:09 PM
:eek2:

Coselmar
11-27-2011, 09:36 AM
My brother and I encountered quicksand in several places during our Lost Angel/Chambers trip in October. The "Full Meal Deal" route described in Climb-Utah.com required us to cross the Dirty Devil near the mouth of Bull Canyon. We also spent a lot of time walking in the river (to avoid bushwacking) en route to the canyon exit a couple of miles downstream. The quicksand seemed to be most prevalent at the mouths of side canyons. I sank thigh deep a couple of times and had some difficulty getting free. Be careful down there.

Iceaxe
11-28-2011, 12:50 PM
I few years back I encountered some serious quicksand in the subway section of Leprechaun. It had rained the night before and the canyon had flowed. The quicksand in the subway section was chest deep, which scared the crap outta me because I had my kids in tow and it would have been over there heads if they had of been running ahead as usual. It was difficult to get everyone safely across.

I've also encounter deep quicksand in Paria Canyon and Buckskin Gulch.

My observation is deep quicksand forms on the downstream side of an obstruction like a big rock or log. The rock or log might be buried under the sand and completely out of sight. As the water flows over the obstruction it does what I call "boil" and you get a mixture that isn't really water or sand. The dirty Devil would be ideal place for this boiling sand to occur and create deep quicksand.

Quicksand is not just a movie thing and can be a scary deal when you enounter a deep section.

BLUEberryBOB
11-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Lay on your back\side and wriggle your legs free don't try to fight it while standing!

Damn, 8hrs to be dug out holly cow!:eek2:

trackrunner
11-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Lay on your back\side and wriggle your legs free don't try to fight it while standing!

Damn, 8hrs to be dug out holly cow!:eek2:

laying down may help when one is not at risk of drowning from laying down. he was stuck in the dirty devil river.

different news account says he got stuck twice, freed by rescue crews then got stuck in the sand bar. total time 13 hours
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705394918/Man-rescued-after-being-trapped-in-quicksand-for-13-hours-in-rural-Utah.html

Scott Card
11-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Yikes...:eek2:

Candace66
11-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Deputies said someone with the Air Force in Florida alerted authorities that an emergency alert beacon had been activated and local officials dispatched a helicopter to the area. It wasn’t immediately clear if the man was affiliated with the Air Force.

No mystery... When a PLB is activated, the signal is picked up by SARSAT (Search and Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking) satellites, which are monitored by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center.

http://www.1af.acc.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=7497

Yikes...I do a lot of solo hiking. Hate to think about getting stuck that badly, and hoping a helicopter shows up before I drown (assuming I'm able to activate the PLB and it works)! :eek2:

DOSS
11-29-2011, 06:08 AM
This kid could have been as famous as good old Aaron R if he had just cut off his feet and swam to freedom...:crazy: