PDA

View Full Version : I'm surprised I haven't seen this in here already.

ilanimaka
11-22-2011, 09:27 PM
We'll have to see what happens in the Senate. Surprisingly, I don't necessarily agree with this bill but would like to be able to take my CCW on my travels.

WASHINGTON

double moo
11-23-2011, 06:40 AM
Maybe this will get our Utah Legislators to tighten up our CCP and require an element of training. During my course, by way of raising hands, there were only 3 of us out of 15 who had taken a hunter safety course. There were folks in there that admittedly had never handled a firearm - but were "planning" to buy one! Scary!!! Nevada revoked our reciprocal agreement for CCP last year - they do require brief training and range time to show basic proficiency - it's time Utah started.

Candace66
11-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Wow, this would really piss off California! They theoretically have CCW permits, but it's anything but a "shall issue" system. It's nearly impossible to get a permit, unless you're a celeb or otherwise well-connected. :roll: I expect their response would be to completely eliminate the permits.

ilanimaka
11-28-2011, 07:38 PM
I agree that Utah should have some type of training requirement. That aspect has always bothered me.

Sandstone Addiction
11-28-2011, 08:35 PM
The majority of concealed carry permit holders get the permit and really never use it except to be able to carry a loaded firearm in their vehicle or be able to carry a gun while bow hunting.

That said, I personally don't believe that training courses are necessary or practical for everyone. Mainly for the fact that the few people that actually carry on a regular basis are responsible citizens, fully aware of the need for training and practice for when that situation arises. There is something about being capable of using deadly force that persuades a person to practice and train on their own.

This will likely not be an issue in the future if Utah follows suit with Vermont, Alaska, Arizona and Wyoming and allows all law abiding citizens to carry concealed without a permit...:2thumbs:

As for reciprocity...i've got my fingers crossed, but it might be a while until it actually happens. It does seem to be building steam though. :nod:

Candace66
11-28-2011, 10:44 PM
I agree that Utah should have some type of training requirement. That aspect has always bothered me.

I'm confused...I thought some sort of class is required? Straight from the Utah DPS site:

"Weapon Familiarity Certification. Applicants must complete a firearms familiarity course certified by BCI. The course must be completed before you apply for a permit."
:ne_nau:

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/CFnewapp.html

Sandstone Addiction
11-29-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm confused...I thought some sort of class is required? Straight from the Utah DPS site:

"Weapon Familiarity Certification. Applicants must complete a firearms familiarity course certified by BCI. The course must be completed before you apply for a permit."
:ne_nau:

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/CFnewapp.html

A class is required, but it is not really training...I'm not sure of the curriculum nowadays, but when I took mine it was basically making sure that applicants were aware of the consequences of using deadly force, including lawsuits. They also highly recommended yearly training. Back then I did have to qualify with both a revolver and semi auto on the range, but we shot at maybe 5 yards--hard to miss, but we did have to prove that we knew how the firearm functioned.

Nowadays, I know the range certification is gone, but someone else would have to fill in the details of the current course. But I truly believe it is adequate. People that choose to carry concealed will most likely be prepared. We would be hearing more about it on the news if it weren't true.