PDA

View Full Version : The bogley Challenge

oldno7
11-16-2011, 11:32 AM
I saw an add on KSL.com for a 2007 atv. I was 90% sure it was a scam but I wanted to play along. I now know 100% it is a scam. I am posting "Lisa's" response.
As the most knowledgeable forum on the net---How can we scam the scammer?

Message as follows:

Hello again Kurt ,

Please give me a little time to explain you the process of this transaction:
As i told you in my first email, i divorced, i got a new job and moved to Chicago, IL. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with PayPal so my presence isn't necessary. The atv is located in Chicago at the shipping company, ready to be delivered. The shipping will take 3-5 working days. The shipping cost is included in the total price of the atv! You will have 5 days to test it and inspect the atv prior to make any purchase and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back on my cost. So if you want to start with this deal i need the following details from you:

The full name and address for shipping
phone #

After I will have all this details I will forward them to PayPal and I will proceed this transaction. PayPal will contact you with all the details that you need to complete this deal. The title is clear and as you can probably see from the photos, the atv is like new condition so the final price will be $2.100.00. I hope you understand and we can still have a deal!

Waiting your email with the requested details.
Regards,
Lisa

Deadeye008
11-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Give them a 1-900 number to call...

oldno7
11-16-2011, 11:47 AM
I think Lisa might also be "Peggy" on this commercial:haha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=yZXZAlfykpo

oldno7
11-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Heres Peggy's er, ah Lisa's photobucket pics:

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m513/ccsusan97/?action=view&current=15.jpg#!oZZ10QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1129 .photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fm513%2Fccsusan97%2F%3F action%3Dview%26current%3D2.jpg

Iceaxe
11-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Tell her you don't have a PayPal account, but you will be happy to send a check through the US mail.

Mail fraud is a felony and most scammers steer a wide circle around doing anything by mail. See what her response to working through the US mail is.

:popcorn:

Iceaxe
11-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Tell her you PayPaled the money and wanted to know if she recieved it?

Ask for a photo copy of the title?

Ask how much without shipping? tell her your brother-in-law will be in Chicago next week and will be happy to drop off the cash and take deliver.

oldno7
11-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Sent my reply:

Hi Lisa
Right now it is regrettable, but I never set up a paypal acct, never trusted them to hold my money.
But, as luck would have it, I have several relatives in the Chicago area. I called my cousin and he is willing to meet you and take delivery of the atv.
If you could give me the location, I will have him meet you at your convenience and he will give you cash. He was planing on coming out to Utah anyway and this gives him a little more incentive.
Since no shipping will be required on your end, I believe $2000 would be fair.
I have second thoughts about this transaction, as I feel like I'm taking unfair advantage of your situation(divorce).
But, if you are agreeable to this, give me your address and I'll arrange for him to take delivery.

Kurt

Sombeech
11-16-2011, 02:06 PM
If you can get "her" to agree to meet, which is doubtful....

I've seen scams play out where the "would be victim" found a traffic cam on a corner and arranged to meet the scammer there. He sat in his office thousands of miles away and watched the scammers sit and wait. He knew it was them because he had asked what they would be wearing so he could recognize them.

Offer more money because of the inconvenience without paypal. Maybe even offer a tint of shadiness to your story that you've received a Christmas bonus and would like to hand the cash over in person, to avoid any paperwork because your Ex is watching your bank account. For some reason, this makes your story more believable. :lol8:

hike2kolob
11-16-2011, 02:15 PM
This should be fun. :popcorn:

oldno7
11-16-2011, 02:24 PM
re-listed within the hour.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=18113461&cat=145&lpid=1&search=

0 day old acct.

Iceaxe
11-16-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm on it.... this just sent...

"If you haven't sold your ATV yet I'll take it."

oldno7
11-16-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm on it.... this just sent...

"If you haven't sold your ATV yet I'll take it."

She better not give you a better deal than me..........:lol8:

Sombeech
11-16-2011, 03:34 PM
List of some webcams to stake out a meeting place

http://cincystreet.com/webcams/chicago.html

Don
11-16-2011, 04:23 PM

trackrunner
11-16-2011, 06:36 PM
List of some webcams to stake out a meeting place

http://cincystreet.com/webcams/chicago.html

is this person really in chicago?

send on a safari
http://www.419eater.com/html/SkeletonCoast/

(http://www.419eater.com/html/SkeletonCoast/)

accadacca
11-16-2011, 07:28 PM

oldno7
11-16-2011, 07:53 PM
I wrote her yesterday and "she" replied at 5:00am today.

Looking for responses in the morning.

Iceaxe
11-17-2011, 07:28 AM
Hi Shane ,
First of all,thank you for your interest in purchasing my Quad. The Quad is a 2007 Honda Foreman TRX 500ES and is in great shape, no problems, damages or hidden defects. It was always garaged. Because of my divorce settlement, i own this atv and as a woman without driver`s license i don`t need it so i`m trying to get rid of it as soon as possible. I also got a new job and moved, and many other things have priority now, so, this atv has to go.
Please read bellow all the information about the Quad: ( I take all the info from the owners manual )

Price : $2.300.00
220 miles
Engine size : 500 cc
Drive train : 4-Wheel drive
26" ITP tires
Rear cargo box/seat
Warn 2500lb winch
Warn 60" plow with rubber snow foil
Electronic Shift package
Selectable 4x4 or 2x2
Digital display
For more photos please check the link below :
http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m513/ccsusan97/

I will wait your e-mail if you are still interested.
Thank you.
Lisa

I'll buy it, I took the cash out of the bank this morning. Just tell me where I can pick up the atv and pay you. Please don't sell it to anyone else. I'll bring the cash over immediately. I assume you have the a clear title?

Shane

oldno7
11-17-2011, 07:35 AM
E-mail I got yesterday.:

Hi Kurt ,

First of all,thank you for your interest in purchasing my Quad. The Quad is a 2007 Honda Foreman TRX 500ES and is in great shape, no problems, damages or hidden defects. It was always garaged. Because of my divorce settlement, i own this atv and as a woman without driver`s license i don`t need it so i`m trying to get rid of it as soon as possible. I also got a new job and moved, and many other things have priority now, so, this atv has to go.

Please read bellow all the information about the Quad: ( I take all the info from the owners manual )

Price : $2.300.00
220 miles
Engine size : 500 cc
Drive train : 4-Wheel drive
26" ITP tires
Rear cargo box/seat
Warn 2500lb winch
Warn 60" plow with rubber snow foil
Electronic Shift package
Selectable 4x4 or 2x2
Digital display

For more photos please check the link below :

I will wait your e-mail if you are still interested.
Thank you.
Lisa

oldno7
11-17-2011, 09:12 AM
If Shane gets to go to Nigeria and pick this up, I'm going to be jealous.

trackrunner
11-17-2011, 09:23 AM

how much does she want for the dog?

Scott Card
11-17-2011, 09:35 AM
:popcorn: This thread has all kinds of potential win. :haha:

accadacca
11-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Its a fight! Who can hook the sucker first! :roflol: :popcorn:

rockgremlin
11-17-2011, 11:08 AM
"She's a woman without a driver's license...and recently got a new job..."

1. Thank the Gods about the first part.

2. Secondly, she just got a new job but doesn't have a driver's license. Ummm...how is that? I'm pretty sure ANY would-be employer would throw up all kinds of red flags about this. Usually people don't have driver's licenses for [criminal] reasons.

Iceaxe
11-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Hello again Shane ,

Please give me a little time to explain you the process of this transaction:
As i told you in my first email, i divorced, i got a new job and moved to Chicago, IL. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with PayPal so my presence isn't necessary. The atv is located in Chicago at the shipping company, ready to be delivered. The shipping will take 3-5 working days. The shipping cost is included in the total price of the atv! You will have 5 days to test it and inspect the atv prior to make any purchase and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back on my cost. So if you want to start with this deal i need the following details from you:

The full name and address for shipping
phone #

After I will have all this details I will forward them to PayPal and I will proceed this transaction. PayPal will contact you with all the details that you need to complete this deal. The title is clear!

Waiting your email with the requested details.
Regards,
Lisa

I don't have a PayPal account. I had a bad experience with them and would prefer to never deal through them again. Can I just mail you a cashiers check?

Shane

bigred72
11-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Freakin hilarious!!!

oldno7
11-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Apparently she has quit talking to me.:haha:

oldno7
11-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Just relisted 12 minutes ago....

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=18126766&cat=145&lpid=&search=

Iceaxe
11-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Shane, i'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with PayPal but i deal with them from 5 years now. The deal has to be made through them. If you wish to continue with this purchase i can ask them to send you another method of payment, something like money transfer.

Thanks
Lisa

OK, I just sent the money to your email address through PayPal. You should have it now. My shipping address is included in the PayPal transfer. Let me know if you have any questions or problems. Thanks for the ATV, I've sure we will have a lot of fun riding it.

Shane

rockgremlin
11-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Just relisted 12 minutes ago....

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=18126766&cat=145&lpid=&search=

Ad Not Found!!

I wonder if KSL yanked it...

IntrepidXJ
11-17-2011, 03:22 PM
2. Secondly, she just got a new job but doesn't have a driver's license. Ummm...how is that? I'm pretty sure ANY would-be employer would throw up all kinds of red flags about this. Usually people don't have driver's licenses for [criminal] reasons.

Not having a drivers license in Chicago is actually quite common for people who never leave the city.

Iceaxe
11-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Hmmm... no reply as of yet. This chick needs to find a new job as her current working hours suck. :lol8:

Scott Card
11-17-2011, 04:33 PM
:lol8: Keep up the good work, gentlemen.

bigred72
11-17-2011, 04:50 PM
I need to get in on this!!!

rockgremlin
11-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Not having a drivers license in Chicago is actually quite common for people who never leave the city.

But who NEVER leaves the city in which they reside? If they want to leave on a trip do they just stand at the freeway entrance with a cardboard sign?

Public transportation can only get you so far.

Just sayin'....seems very suspect.

At this point I think she's realizing that shane et al aren't game to sending $$$ online, and is gonna go AWOL.

Dr. Nebz
11-17-2011, 06:45 PM
This thread is full of win! :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
11-18-2011, 10:45 AM
No reply.... I wonder if she received the money I PayPaled her?

stefan
11-18-2011, 11:20 AM
But who NEVER leaves the city in which they reside? If they want to leave on a trip do they just stand at the freeway entrance with a cardboard sign?

Public transportation can only get you so far.

rock, there are a number of people who rarely/never leave the cities they reside in. there are other people that use airplanes, buses, trains, other people's cars, etc.

on the other hand, this person is selling an ATV

Scott Card
11-18-2011, 03:42 PM
rock, there are a number of people who rarely/never leave the cities they reside in. there are other people that use airplanes, buses, trains, other people's cars, etc.

on the other hand, this person is selling an ATV

Please refer to thread about family getting lost in corn maze and calling 911 for help. Do ya think they ever left the city?

stefan
11-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Please refer to thread about family getting lost in corn maze and calling 911 for help. Do ya think they ever left the city?

:lol8:

agostinone
11-18-2011, 08:22 PM
I love the whole "scam the scammer" deal. I had a buddy at work that used to take the junk mail from one company and send it to another company in there postage paid envelopes. After a while he started taking crap out of his trash can and mail it back to them.

bbennett
11-18-2011, 08:46 PM
I love the whole "scam the scammer" deal. I had a buddy at work that used to take the junk mail from one company and send it to another company in there postage paid envelopes. After a while he started taking crap out of his trash can and mail it back to them.

Excellent idea! I think I'll finally be sending something back to all of those junk credit card offers that always come in the mail.

Sombeech
11-18-2011, 10:03 PM

:bandit: Been doing this for years. Great fun. http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?21024-Fun-with-Junk-Mail

greyhair biker
11-19-2011, 01:09 PM
:haha::popcorn:

bbennett
11-19-2011, 08:29 PM
:bandit: Been doing this for years. Great fun. http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?21024-Fun-with-Junk-Mail

Awesome!

accadacca
11-21-2011, 08:23 AM
I got this one...who wants to play? :haha:

--

Reply-To: "ghcustomeservic22@gmail.com" <ghcustomeservic22@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 00:23:12 -0700
Subject: FROM THE DESK OF GHANA CUSTOMS SERVICE (URGENT EMAIL RESPONSE)

Good Day,

I am Edward Amissah,The commander Ghana customs service Authority,, of Kotoka International Airport, Accra-Ghana.

This is to inform you that we have discovered two (2) of your consignment boxes which had been stored in our storage management room. Your names phone number and e-mail well tagged on the consignment's for a delivery, but till now no diplomat is making any effort to make the delivery, That is why i am contacting you for the delivery as i can make an arrangement with a missionary that can

help you have the consignment's trunk boxes delivery to you at your home address as stated on the consignment's. But what you will have to do is to re-confirm to me the following information's in other for me to know that am contacting the rightful owner of this consignment's. As you will know no one will do what am doing, but being a child of God i just have to do God will.

{1} FULL NAME :
{2} YOUR DELIVERY ADDRESS :
{3} YOUR PHONE NUMBER :
{4} YOUR COUNTRY :

The above information's as requested, i can help you make your delivery without any delay with my position as the commander Ghana customs service Authority,

i need confirmation from you immediately you received this good news.

Sincerely,
Commander Edward Amissah
From The Desk of Ghana Customs .
Service head commander Office Ghana
Ghana civil aviation Authority
Accra Kotoka Airport,Ghana .
+(233)262/930/103

oldno7
12-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Whoaa, Lisa has moved to Heber City. No wonder we've had a hard time making a deal:lol8:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=18363799&cat=145&lpid=2&search=