PDA

View Full Version : Backpacker/Canyoneer from Denver

Byron
11-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Hi folks. The first time I laid eyes on the Grand Canyon, in 1988, I instantly became a backpacker. Since then, I've been just about everywhere, many times, on the Colorado Plateau.
It started in the Grand. I've been all over it, including most of George Stecks loops and variants thereof. Then I moved on to the Escalante. I favor the east side canyons, ala Steve Allen.
I met Mike Kelsey in the spring of 2002, just by chance out in the middle of nowhere near Navajo Mnt. Hooked up with him to do a bunch of slots for his first edition of "Technical Slots". Most of what we did was in Zion and the Roost.
I just bought Todd Martins "Grand Canyoneering" and saw this site listed there, so here I am.
That book, by the way, is badass.
I hoping to meet some folks here that are up for doing some of those slots and canyons. Most of my long time canyoneering friends are getting a little long in the tooth, slowing down a bit. I've always been the youngster. I'm 48 now...most of my hiking buddies are deep into their 60s. They're still tough, just not quite what they used to be. 12 hour slot days and epic 9 night backpacks no longer apply.
But they still work for me!
Perhaps I'll have to come to one of the Bogeyfests and meet some folks. I'm self employed, so coming out there just about anytime I like is not a problem.
Anyway, glad to be here...Byron.

accadacca
11-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Welcome Byron. You found THE place for canyoneering. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
11-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Welcome to bogley! :cool2: