PDA

View Full Version : Frog Hollow Canyon in Hurricane, UT

RMG
11-14-2011, 08:48 AM
My group recently did a conyoneering trip with Zion Adventure Company in Colorado City. The canyon we did was Water Canyon, which is at the North end of Colorado City. On our way back to Springdale our guide told us about an unknown canyon right in the town of Hurricane. The next day we took our own gear and went looking for Frog Hollow Canyon. We hiked part of the way up the Molly's nipple trail to an obvious trail that leads into the canyon. We hiked about 45 minutes to the back of the canyon only to be stopped by a 300 foot dry fall. We were told that there are bolts at the top of the fall making it possible to rappel with two 300 foot ropes. As we hiked back down the canyon we were looking for a trail that leads to the rim of the canyon on the West side. We went up a side canyon and found several sport routs and a trail that lead to a sport rout that went all the way to the top of the canyon. We climbed this rout to find that we were not quite to the top but could easily hike the rest of the way. At the top we hiked to the South and saw that it was still a long ways to the big dry fall. We hiked back to the North into the first drainage and found a two bolt anchor but it had no sling or chains. It looks like it would be a 300 foot rappel, we don't think this is the same rappel that our guide told us about. We rappelled back into the canyon and did the couple of small challenges the rest of the way down the canyon. There are more than enough bolts in this canyon, probably too many. I am not finding these routs any place, does anyone know who is bolting these areas and not telling anyone? The canyon is fun but gets abused by locals drinking and littering in the canyon. In all, this could be a great climbing area for the winter months but it probably needs to be somewhat regulated. Thanks Rocky Mtn Guru

ratagonia
11-19-2011, 09:58 AM
My group recently did a conyoneering trip with Zion Adventure Company in Colorado City. The canyon we did was Water Canyon, which is at the North end of Colorado City. On our way back to Springdale our guide told us about an unknown canyon right in the town of Hurricane. The next day we took our own gear and went looking for Frog Hollow Canyon. We hiked part of the way up the Molly's nipple trail to an obvious trail that leads into the canyon. We hiked about 45 minutes to the back of the canyon only to be stopped by a 300 foot dry fall. We were told that there are bolts at the top of the fall making it possible to rappel with two 300 foot ropes. As we hiked back down the canyon we were looking for a trail that leads to the rim of the canyon on the West side. We went up a side canyon and found several sport routs and a trail that lead to a sport rout that went all the way to the top of the canyon. We climbed this rout to find that we were not quite to the top but could easily hike the rest of the way. At the top we hiked to the South and saw that it was still a long ways to the big dry fall. We hiked back to the North into the first drainage and found a two bolt anchor but it had no sling or chains. It looks like it would be a 300 foot rappel, we don't think this is the same rappel that our guide told us about. We rappelled back into the canyon and did the couple of small challenges the rest of the way down the canyon. There are more than enough bolts in this canyon, probably too many. I am not finding these routs any place, does anyone know who is bolting these areas and not telling anyone? The canyon is fun but gets abused by locals drinking and littering in the canyon. In all, this could be a great climbing area for the winter months but it probably needs to be somewhat regulated. Thanks Rocky Mtn Guru

It's also kinda cowed up, so it is hard to get worked up about excess bolts there...

Don't know who. Fun winter canyon, down low with easy access. We drove to the top, but the car shuttle is long. Better to hike from below, I think.

Tom

RMG
11-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Yes Tom, hiking from below is probably the best way. It is nice that there are paved roads right to the bottom of the canyon. There are several ways to hike to the top. One way is taking the Molly's nipple trail. Another is going North along the ridge to where some power lines go up the ridge. It is possible to hike to the top there, but it makes a long hike cross country to the canyon. The most fun way, I think, is to go into the canyon and do a multi pitch climb to the top then a 300 foot rap back into the canyon.