PDA

View Full Version : Anybody buy Beef Jerky in bulk online?

Sombeech
11-10-2011, 12:16 PM
It's time for me to wise up and stop buying jerky at the Maverick everyday. I need to grab some jerky in bulk from somewhere.

Any favorite brands?

DOSS
11-10-2011, 01:33 PM
You need to just make a trip out to Tooele (Erda to be exact) and get some Jerky from Thompsons smokehouse... :slobber::slobber::slobber::slobber::slobber::slob ber: Buy it by the pound :)..

Deadeye008
11-10-2011, 02:17 PM
You need to just make a trip out to Tooele (Erda to be exact) and get some Jerky from Thompsons smokehouse... :slobber::slobber::slobber::slobber::slobber::slob ber: Buy it by the pound :)..

Looks like they have an online store front.
http://thompsonssmokehouse.com/

I buy jerky from WinCo. There is one on 2000 W. and about 2500 N. in Clinton. I can't remember the brand but it comes in about 1lb clear bags for like $10.

Skylinerider
11-10-2011, 05:19 PM

This. Best jerky ever.

accadacca
11-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Can you get it anywhere else SLC?

I always get the honey glazed jerky from "far west outfitters" when I head south. I always find it in Nephi, Fillmore, Beaver, etc. I've never seen it around SLC. I really like that kind and I think it is made in northern Utah?

blueeyes
11-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Love Far West Outfitters Honey Glazed! Took some of that with me to China. Sorta kinda know the guy that owns the company, he is in Far West just far west of North Ogden. :haha: He has an online site.

Sombeech
11-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Farr West Outfitters is sold in Winegars and quite a few Chevron stations up here. Good stuff, in fact I'd buy it in bulk but I'll have to call for pricing.

accadacca
11-30-2011, 07:24 PM
I just heard that they have bacon jerky at Walmart? Really?!

Sombeech
11-30-2011, 08:12 PM
I just heard that they have bacon jerky at Walmart? Really?!

brb

greyhair biker
12-01-2011, 06:15 PM
brb

WELL?!?! did you find any?!:slobber:

Sandstone Addiction
12-01-2011, 07:05 PM
If you enjoy jerky in large quantities, have you ever made your own (beef, venison, elk, etc)? Very easy to make in either oven or dehydrator and a whole lot cheaper (and you know the country of origin). There is no finer jerky than the kind you have trimmed and seasoned to your liking. :nod:

My favorite is to marinate whole muscle cuts in "Very Teriyaki" sauce with a little crushed red pepper added to make it sweet and hot.

My neighbor has a hickory blend that melts in your mouth, but he just laughs when I ask him what his recipe is.

I've also tried some of the seasoning blends you can buy at Sportsmans, Cabelas, etc. and they are very good too (I marinate mine at least 2 days, btw).

Sombeech
12-02-2011, 07:17 AM
I didn't end up making it out to WalMart yet, I'll try on my lunch break today.

I've dabbled in making my own jerky. We used to do this a few times with the deer we harvested from the hunt, but cutting all of those strips took way too long.

What's a good kind of meat to make jerky from that doesn't take a lot of additional cutting and prep?

Udink
12-02-2011, 11:25 AM
What's a good kind of meat to make jerky from that doesn't take a lot of additional cutting and prep?
Once or twice a year I'll make some from rump roast when I can find it on sale. Most butcher shops will slice a whole roast for free (I buy them at Smith's and they have always been more than happy to slice it), but I would check to make sure they can get it thin enough first. I've sliced my own as well, and I always do it across the grain to get the most tender jerky. I marinate it in about two parts worcestershire sauce to one part soy sauce, seasoned with garlic powder, Season-All, and black pepper.

Sandstone Addiction
12-02-2011, 08:24 PM
I didn't end up making it out to WalMart yet, I'll try on my lunch break today.

I've dabbled in making my own jerky. We used to do this a few times with the deer we harvested from the hunt, but cutting all of those strips took way too long.

Cutting strips can be a pain, but if you buy lean, large muscle cuts with little or no gristle, it's a whole lot easier.

If you don't want to spend a lot of time cutting strips, try extra lean ground beef in a jerky shooter. Extremely easy to make delicious sticks or strips. I always use jerky cure and seasoning mix with ground meat. Cajun and hickory are my favorites. Excellent!

denaliguide
12-04-2011, 04:36 PM
flank steak is cheap and makes good jerky. the trick to slicing is to put the steak in the freezer for a little while so its gets just barely frozen. then it holds it's shape and is easy to slice uniformly. 1/4 to 1/8 in thickness is what i try for.

i have always marinated mine overnight and then hang it with paper clips on an oven rack. turn the oven down to about 150 degrees for 8 hours. (make sure the door is cracked open. i use a wooden spoon to hold the door open.) jerky is done when it breaks like a green stick.

marinades vary. yoshida gourmet sauce is good for a sweeter flavor. lemon pepper and garlic, soy and pepper are good too. be creative and have fun with it.

maarten.1975
12-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Now I'll be d*mned..... :lol8:
Having traveled in the USA a couple of times (I'm Dutch), I've seen this 'beef jerky' often in the States.
Somehow I really didn't like the idea of it, it really gave me the shivers when thinking of it....

Now, however, after reading the posts above, I am actually getting curious what it is like. Reading about the possibilities in flavors, I'm curious to what fantastic flavor combinations I can think of. Thinking of ginger, lime and chipotle. Even without knowing what the structure of the jerky will be like.
You guys have made me curious, and next time I see it I most probably will actually try it...
I honestly wasn

dmMatrix
12-05-2011, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=maarten.1975;481294]Now I'll be d*mned..... :lol8:
Having traveled in the USA a couple of times (I'm Dutch), I've seen this 'beef jerky' often in the States.
Somehow I really didn't like the idea of it, it really gave me the shivers when thinking of it....

Now, however, after reading the posts above, I am actually getting curious what it is like. Reading about the possibilities in flavors, I'm curious to what fantastic flavor combinations I can think of. Thinking of ginger, lime and chipotle. Even without knowing what the structure of the jerky will be like.
You guys have made me curious, and next time I see it I most probably will actually try it...
I honestly wasn