PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Developer Preview available for download

Sombeech
11-08-2011, 07:21 AM
I'm going to install this on one of my home machines this week

Download Windows 8 Developer Preview here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1&safe=active

More info from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2011/jun11/06-01corporatenews.aspx

BLUEberryBOB
11-08-2011, 09:33 AM
I'll guarantee it won't be that fast on launch. Windows is a lot of things but efficient has never been one of them.:fitz:

Pelon1
11-09-2011, 04:56 AM
What is this win doze you speak of? I have only catchy feline names for my operating systems:haha::haha:

accadacca
11-09-2011, 12:00 PM
What is this win doze you speak of? I have only catchy feline names for my operating systems:haha::haha:
:2thumbs: :lol8:

Sombeech
11-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Alright so here are a few screenshots of my Windows 8 Developer installation. I'm grabbing these screenshots via logmein.com

So this is the screenshot everybody sees with all the apps. The Windows 8 operating system is optimized for the touch screen monitors and tablets obviously, but you can navigate just fine with a mouse and keyboard.

It turns out this is just really the "Start Menu", each app is easily drag and dropped into your preferred spot. I imagine most of the new users will go to the Windows Explorer App to get back into their comfort zone but quickly realize they don't need to always be looking at a bunch of folders all the time.

If you're not using a touch screen, you can navigate left or right through this app page with the arrows on the bottom corners of the screen, sliding the scroll bar, or just drag an app left or right through the screen.

Windows Internet Explorer 10

The comfort zone of Windows Explorer. The desktop is black here because I'm grabbing this screenshot via LogMeIn. Otherwise it's a standard desktop background which can be personalized the usual way by Right Clicking on the Desktop and selecting Personalize.

The Control Panel App, again accessed from the Start Menu. At the moment I'm a little confused on how to actually exit out of Control Panel in Windows 8 but I just hit the Windows + D key combo to get to the desktop and exit that way. I tried right clicking in there but couldn't find an "exit strategy" via mouse clicks.

Control Alt Delete gives you the usual options

And the new look for the Windows Task Manager in Windows 8

So again, once I realized that Windows Explorer is still easily accessible, I can avoid the learning curve at my convenience then dive into it when I'm ready. I'll keep Windows 8 on this machine until I'm forced to license it which probably won't be for another year.

DiscGo
11-09-2011, 09:04 PM
I just don't get the whole square motif. I have not had any interest in Windows Mobile 7 because of the squares, and so I'm disappointed to see it moved to the Windows OS. What do you think?

Sombeech
11-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Yeah I'm not too fond of that, I'm messing around with the theme to see if the corners get rounded or the Aero is an option. It might be in the works but just not available on this developer version :ne_nau:

Sombeech
11-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Even though it runs great with the normal desktop / laptop setup, here's how to really optimize the Windows 8 experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR40rIoTVSY

Sombeech
11-19-2011, 01:52 PM
It's been a while that I've messed around with this, but I figured out how to leave applications without the touch buttons or keyboard shortcuts. If you put the mouse on the left side of the screen you'll see the clickable preview of the other app.

Sombeech
12-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Well I've had my fun but I'm going to roll back to windows 7 on this machine. I just can't function with only 3 computers at home, I've got to put this one back to work. :lol8:

Sent from Tapatapatapatalk

homerj
12-15-2011, 11:00 PM
I installed it last week and messed around with it and I FREAKIN hate it! It's useless unless you're on the touch screen. It's like they said, "hey, this touch screen thingy is the new hit, lets jump on the band wagon and throw all our eggs in one basket."