PDA

View Full Version : Good Dog Breed as a Running Companion?

Sombeech
11-07-2011, 01:23 PM
So I've been considering getting my wife a dog as a running companion. I may even take the pup out on the bike trail too.

What breed would you suggest?

DOSS
11-07-2011, 02:55 PM
We have an Aussie Shepard Blue Heeler mix... She is a very loving dog (Great with my kids 4 and 6 now), My wife has ran with her for the last 2 summers I think top she did this summer was 20 miles but the pooch did a great job. Also great for backpacking and has been with me on a few rides.

Gambel Oak
11-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Most dogs are good running companions but what I have found is that some dogs will hold up better than others. Smaller dogs tend to be able to run better in their later years than large dogs. Short hair dogs can handle the Utah heat much better than long hair dogs. At the same time, if you aren't ski touring short hairs can handle hours in the cold. Just don't stop for too long or they will get cold.

My personal preference is the Hungarian Vizsla but have also considered small German Shorthair Pointers, small Weimaraners, Brittney Spaniels, Heelers, and Australian Shepards. These breeds are high energy and if you don't exercise them they will either tear things apart or bug you from the moment you walk in the door until you go to sleep. I've always skipped the puppy stage and gotten adult dogs used off of places like KSL classifieds or combing the shelter and rescue websites. I like to know what I am getting, don't enjoy cleaning up after puppies, and a puppy will chew something expensive at least once. My dogs have all been male and all of them have been fixed so I can't speak to the differences between male / female dogs.

Other than that it is all training. Teaching them what is acceptable behavior and letting them know that you and everyone in your family is alpha. Good luck on the search and post up a pic if you end up getting a four legged addition to your family.