PDA

View Full Version : Camera suggestions

uintafly
10-29-2011, 11:00 AM
I do quite a bit of hiking and backpacking and have been using a p&s, but have been thinking about upgrading for a while now. Now that I have a 2 month old, the wife is on board as well.

I am looking for a camera in the $600-$800 range that will take good pictures in auto mode, but will also allow me to give me a lot of manual options, as I learn more about photography. But I am definitely not looking to pack a 8 lb. camera into the backcountry. I like the idea of the new Nikon 1. Seems nice and compact, but with the ability to be more versatile. I really like the ability to have multiple lenses on a compact camera. The one review I have read however, said it was overpriced compared to similar cameras.

So does anyone have any suggestions on camera to look at? Looking to make the purchase in the next month or two.

gnwatts
10-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Check out the Panasonic micro four-thirds system. Excellent lenses, compact cameras.
Greg

Deadeye008
10-29-2011, 11:12 PM
I use (and love) my Canon T2i in the backcountry all the time. You can get one with a kit lens in the price range you listed. It is fairly lightweight compared to other DSLRs.

CarpeyBiggs
10-30-2011, 08:32 AM
new gx1 was just announced. it's exactly what you are looking for. otherwise, check out the other m43 options.

uintafly
10-31-2011, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am leaning towards the G3, especially since I can get it for $559.00 with a 14-44mm lens through Panasonic. CarpeyBiggs, I can't seem to find anything official about the gx1, so you have a link showing specs and the estimated release date?

Thanks again.

CarpeyBiggs
10-31-2011, 11:31 AM
oops. it's not "official" yet. just been leaked. announcement next week it looks like. but it will be spendy, around 1k with the x-zoom lens.

http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-gf3x-in-stock-at-amazon-us-olympus-45mm-at-bhphoto/