PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Scripture

Don
10-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Disclaimer: This is not a thread about religion, its value or truthiness nor its political involvement or anything else about religion. Please do not post in this thread about religion. I'm interested in a disscussion about the verses and why you find them valuable, even if that value is spiritual. I just don't want this devolving into a thread about scriptures proving one point of view over another. :nono:

I happened to notice @DiscGo (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=501) has a signature currently that is a scripture; "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5. I've always liked that line, and used to quote it when I was a kid on a mission, and later while in Iraq.
We made a plywood table in Iraq, we used it for card games and coffee breaks and all of us wrote various lyrics and quotes, especially war related quotes, on that table. I remember writing part of the U2 lyrics of the song New Years Day "So we're told this is the golden age, and gold is the reason for the wars we wage, though I want to be with you, be with you night and day, nothing changes on New Year's Day" and I wrote that Isaiah line about Moab.

Also in Iraq I had written instructions to be followed in case I died there, and part of the instructions were that I wanted Psalm 137:1 carved on my headstone: "By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion."

Currently my favorite scripture is Proverbs 21:19 "It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and angry woman."

What's your favorite?

chromehead58
10-27-2011, 12:47 PM
2 timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith....After my first 60k mtn bike race I thought this appropriate.

jman
10-27-2011, 05:40 PM
D&C section 110:1-5.

1 The veil was taken from our minds, and the eyes of our understanding were opened.

2 We saw the Lord standing upon the breastwork of the pulpit, before us; and under his feet was a paved work of pure gold, in color like amber.

3 His eyes were as a flame of fire; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow; his countenance shone above the brightness of the sun; and his voice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters, even the voice of Jehovah, saying:

4 I am the first and the last; I am he who liveth, I am he who was slain; I am your advocate with the Father.

5 Behold, your sins are forgiven you; you are clean before me; therefore, lift up your heads and rejoice."

goofball
10-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Isaiah 13:16 - Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished.

Because it reflects so accurately the geo political and cultural mores of the male dominated theocracy of the time. when i went thru my religious phase and was reading the christian bible non stop and a couple times over front to back, this passage always stuck out in my mind, and has always remained w/ me. scary stuff.

Cirrus2000
10-27-2011, 10:53 PM
1 John 4:7-8

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. (KJV)

And another, also King James Version, Ecclesiastes 9:11

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

Scott Card
10-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Isaiah 25:8

He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord God will wipe away tears from off all faces;

mattandersao
10-28-2011, 09:43 AM
2 KINGS

2:23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. 2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

rockgremlin
11-01-2011, 09:18 AM
2 KINGS...And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

It's the Forest Service's fault...

Scott Card
11-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Deuteronomy 23:12-13

"12

DiscGo
11-04-2011, 11:48 AM
It's the Forest Service's fault...

:roflol: Man, that was funny