PDA

View Full Version : Subway - How Cold?

xxnitsuaxx
10-25-2011, 11:13 PM
I'm running through the Subway on Friday and don't know what to expect in terms of water temps. Are we going to be pretty chilly without wetsuits?

Scott P
10-26-2011, 06:20 AM
Are we going to be pretty chilly without wetsuits?

Yes.

ibenick
10-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Way chilly. I went through on the 15th, trip report with descriptions of lots of shivering folks here: http://backcountrypost.com/?p=1308. I have an extremely high tolerance for cold water and I was cold in my 3mm farmer john, pareticularly in the Bowling Alley and above. I would have brought my 2mm top had I known it was going to be THAT cold.

canyoncaver
10-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Most of our group last weekend was pretty cold in Englestead, Orderville, and Pine Creek. We all had 3mm wetsuits. Subway is a different canyon, but has the same cold spring water as Orderville. The high in Springdale was 86, but we never felt anything near that high in the deep canyons. Subway will be sunnier, but that water is cooooold when the air temps are below 90. One guy in our group rented a wetsuit from ZAC for $15. I'd say that might be worth it to keep your fun factor a little higher.

Iceaxe
10-26-2011, 08:18 AM
I'm running through the Subway on Friday and don't know what to expect in terms of water temps. Are we going to be pretty chilly without wetsuits?

Beyond chilly.... without a wetsuit you will freeze your ass off.

Even worse is you risk hypothermia, which could result in a SAR, which could result in more restrictions. Not to mention the Subway is not a lot of fun when you are cold.