PDA

View Full Version : How To: Bogley Pronunciation

CarpeyBiggs
10-10-2011, 04:46 PM
as a side note... the reason people call it the "swamp" is because people often believe bogley is pronounced like "bog." i always figured it to be a hard "O" like "boat." out of curiousity, what's the true pronunciation of this SEO optimized name anyways? :lol8:

Sandstone Addiction
10-10-2011, 05:14 PM
We ain't going nowhere! :stud:

Seems to me that y'all are going EVVVVVRRRRYYYYWHERE!

This is the coolest forum on the web.:haha:

IntrepidXJ
10-10-2011, 05:29 PM
I go with the hard 'O' like boat

as a side note... the reason people call it the "swamp" is because people often believe bogley is pronounced like "bog." i always figured it to be a hard "O" like "boat." out of curiousity, what's the true pronunciation of this SEO optimized name anyways? :lol8:

accadacca
10-10-2011, 06:34 PM
I go with the hard 'O' like boat

Yep. B'o' as in Bo Beck. :stud:

tanya
10-10-2011, 07:10 PM
:ban::crazycobasa:Back of Beyond
:facepalm::peepwall::yousuck:

Who is this?
banhim

It's Bogley!~ Like BO! Idjet :mrgreen:

:wedgie:

Who is this? I hope I don't already like him.:whistling:

Scott Card
10-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Hmmm. I have never seen Tanya like this before.....:popcorn:

tanya
10-10-2011, 07:16 PM
:lol8: I am just kidding.

BUT still! His comment is RUDE! :fitz: :roll: He would hate to see that group become like Bogley?!?!?!?!?!? :facepalm1:

Bogley has some of the best :stud: canyoneers ever here! And they are fun to post to and not so uptight and boring as some can be. :haha:

There are several that write beta and books: Bo!:stud: Tom! :moses:Shane!:cold: Ram! :santa: and a whole bunch that I would not trade in for anything, like you. :friday:

Sombeech
10-10-2011, 07:26 PM
as a side note... the reason people call it the "swamp" is because people often believe bogley is pronounced like "bog."

Damnit Alex

i always figured it to be a hard "O" like "boat." out of curiousity, what's the true pronunciation of this SEO optimized name anyways? :lol8:

Yep, Bogley, like Boat, BowTie, or bodacious.

I've heard this place called "boogertown" before, I'm kind of partial to that nickname.

Skylinerider
10-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Damnit Alex

Yep, Bogley, like Boat, BowTie, or bodacious.

I've heard this place called "boogertown" before, I'm kind of partial to that nickname.

Time to bring back uutah? It's hard to mispronounce.:bandit:

tanya
10-10-2011, 08:10 PM
At least this "swamp" is growing like crazy and doesn't resemble a ghost town with a few old codgers on the porch, pretending life was better in the ol' days, like Rich's site.

Hate to post this in the canyoneering section, but---THERES A WHOLE LOT MORE TO LIFE THAN CANYONEERING.

Canyoneering is only one aspect, for those who it is everything,:ne_nau:

:haha:

tanya
10-10-2011, 08:13 PM

But it's not! BO is the man!!!! If you are in Utah and do the Outdoors you should know Bo! :stud: It's so easy to remember.....

What's funny is I think Bo was mis-pronoucing it last weekend, while we were drinking wine, and pretending to work on the book.... or I was? :mrgreen::kickit:

ratagonia
10-11-2011, 12:24 PM

English has few hard-and-fast pronunciation rules, but two dissimilar consonants after a vowel does tend to make it a Short O, as in Bog. Hmmm, Bog-ley. Looks pretty easy to pronounce to me.

Shortens nicely to "Bog", too.

What's wrong with swamps? A lot happens in swamps, a lot of LIFE occurs.

T :moses:

CarpeyBiggs
10-11-2011, 12:43 PM
English has few hard-and-fast pronunciation rules, but two dissimilar consonants after a vowel does tend to make it a Short O, as in Bog. Hmmm, Bog-ley. Looks pretty easy to pronounce to me.

Shortens nicely to "Bog", too.

What's wrong with swamps? A lot happens in swamps, a lot of LIFE occurs.

ah yes... just like the word "old." as in "the emperor is OLD, maybe even 100 years OLD."

or colt. or most. or cold. or bold. or post, or fold or jolt, or both... or my personal favorite, with the closest actual spelling to bogley - ogle. (and perhaps closest in definition? though one could certainly argue that the swamp bogs you down...)

[B]o

ratagonia
10-11-2011, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=CarpeyBiggs;476056]ah yes... just like the word "old." as in "the emperor is OLD, maybe even 100 years OLD."

or colt. or most. or cold. or bold. or post, or fold or jolt, or both... or my personal favorite, with the closest actual spelling to bogley - ogle. (and perhaps closest in definition? though one could certainly argue that the swamp bogs you down...)

[B]o

CarpeyBiggs
10-11-2011, 01:17 PM
well done. that was fun. but remember, you said two "dissimilar" consonants. so technically, bonfire is the only one that meets that criteria. welcome to the swamp, this is just one of many quagmires you'll find here...

:lol8:

Alex
10-11-2011, 02:16 PM

Totally :hail2thechief:

tanya
10-11-2011, 02:19 PM
That was not a good name. I blocked it for years thinking it was spam. :mrgreen:

ratagonia
10-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Totally :hail2thechief:

I thought the University of Utah (ie, UUtah) was doing fine without us confusing the issue. If you want a new name (why? Bogley is fine) then something boring like UtahOutdoorCommunity might be a better choice.

mfshop
10-11-2011, 04:31 PM
For the record, who came up with the name "Bogley" & why? I always thought it was a strange name change from uutah...

CarpeyBiggs
10-11-2011, 04:34 PM
For the record, who came up with the name "Bogley" & why? I always thought it was a strange name change from uutah...

i think it is a SEO tool... they wanted a unique name that would help with bogley's rankings on the search engines. and it worked, from what i gather. scott won't probably toot his own horn too much, but he's pretty brilliant when it comes to this web stuff... :2thumbs:

accadacca
10-11-2011, 06:04 PM
"Bogley" is unique and fun, like "Google" or any other brand name. Marketing 101 says you should own your name and pick something that nobody else is using if possible. I also own outdoorforums.net (http://outdoorforums.net) if you want to switch to that. :naughty:
Kinda boring though...but more relevant. :popcorn:

accadacca
10-11-2011, 06:26 PM
A couple posts from the archives. A history lesson... :popcorn:

About Bogley. . . (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?19324-About-Bogley.-.-.)

UUtah becomes Bogley (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?28750-UUtah-becomes-Bogley)

nelsonccc
10-11-2011, 08:23 PM
:ban::crazycobasa:Back of Beyond
:facepalm::peepwall::yousuck:

Who is this?
banhim

It's Bogley!~ Like BO! Idjet :mrgreen:

:wedgie:

Who is this? I hope I don't already like him.:whistling:

I think Tanya has anger management issues......

tanya
10-11-2011, 09:28 PM
:lol8:

savanna3313
10-12-2011, 09:15 PM
"Bogley" is unique and fun, like "Google" or any other brand name. Marketing 101 says you should own your name and pick something that nobody else is using if possible. I also own outdoorforums.net (http://outdoorforums.net) if you want to switch to that. :naughty:
Kinda boring though...but more relevant. :popcorn:

Hmmm.....how about if you "own" a name but so does someone else? Is it a matter of who was born first or who used it first? :ne_nau: Before Jennifer Lopez was known as J-Lo I named my LLC 'Ja-Lo Enterprises' - taken from my first and last name. Still waiting for things to be as successful as her enterprises though! :nod: