PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Moab this coming week? Suggestions, please!

canyonphile
10-09-2011, 01:30 PM
For those that don't know, which is probably most of you, I'm a painter. Artist landscape painter, that is. And, since the southern Utah area and Colorado Plateau are my absolute favorite areas to be, of course I had to register for this event:

PleinAir Moab '11 (http://pleinairmoab.com/palette/)

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for Moab, and am spending 5 days there painting, painting and more painting! I am going by myself, and I just thought I'd ask and see if anyone here (or anyone that lives in Moab) would be around to get together, for dinner or a beer or something. I think I'll be at the receptions most nights, and participants are given ID badges, so I'll be easy to find :mrgreen:. So, if you're in the area, swing by, say "hi", and check out all the art of the area!

I'm planning on spending all day tomorrow scouting the area for painting locations (since our trip to do so last week got skunked by the crappy weather). I am looking for a really primo location, possibly along the Colorado River, to do a larger piece, and was thinking possibly painting in Negro Bill Canyon for another.

Does anyone have any suggestions for particularly awesome locations on Hwy 128 or 279 that you'd recommend for a river painting? From Google Maps satellite, it looks like the views are probably better on the west side of the Colorado along 279, vs. Kane Blvd, but I have never driven down there so I don't know.

Anyone have any suggestions for other really scenic places that are nearby Moab that you love to go and could recommend? I'm taking along a book on hikes around Moab, but there are so many people here that know the area well that I thought I'd solicit opinions. It can also be a small side canyon with a really beautiful alcove or pool or something, too - I love to paint reflections and water. Or, fall color spots - I've been focusing on that lately.

Only requirements: has to be relatively close to a passenger car friendly road and I don't want to hike more than about 1/2 mile with my light plein air set-up. I'm sticking to non-fee areas for this trip (so no Arches or Canyonlands), but I'm also trying to avoid any "iconic" type of paintings, which are fine, but not my thing for this trip.

Here are some examples of recent paintings (all in pastel), just to give you an idea of the kind of views and stuff I like to paint:

#1 - "Fall Light in Canyonlands" (studio painting - practice for this trip)
#2 - "Stream Reflections" (plein air)
#3 - "Ranch Near Lavendar Canyon" (studio painting - practice for this trip)

Thanks, everyone!

oldno7
10-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Sonya, I really like the first 2, great talent, the reflection is awesome.

Iceaxe
10-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Sonya, I really like the first 2, great talent, the reflection is awesome.

x2

Udink
10-09-2011, 02:52 PM
A short hike up the Moab Rim trail can give you a pretty nice view of the Colorado River. If done in the morning, you'd be in the shade but the river and opposite canyon rim would be well-lit. There's a parking lot at the trailhead about 2.7 miles down the Kane Springs Road after turning off Main Street in Moab. And Moonflower Canyon is just another 0.4 miles down the road, there's usually some water in the canyon and might even have some fall colors by now.

Colorado River from the Moab Rim (taken two weeks ago)

Moonflower Canyon (stolen from Google Earth)
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/10322671

canyonphile
10-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Oldno and Ice - thanks much for the kind words re my work; I appreciate it :nod:!

Dennis - thank you TONS!! That is exactly the sort of info I was looking for. And a.m. shade is ideal; I don't have an umbrella, so I try to find shaded areas to stand in when I paint. I'll definitely check both of those out tomorrow, and since they are mentioned in the hiking book, that will be easy.

Thanks again, guys :2thumbs:!

jman
10-09-2011, 03:48 PM
You might wanna check out Hunter Canyon too. Has a small flowing stream due to the seeps, but lots of wildlife and beautiful scenery. And best part, not busy at all!

canyonphile
10-10-2011, 06:37 AM
You might wanna check out Hunter Canyon too. Has a small flowing stream due to the seeps, but lots of wildlife and beautiful scenery. And best part, not busy at all!

Thanks, Jman - that sounds great, esp. the "not busy" part! I don't know where that is, but hopefully it's listed in my hiking guide.

Thanks much!

moab mark
10-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Thanks, Jman - that sounds great, esp. the "not busy" part! I don't know where that is, but hopefully it's listed in my hiking guide.

Thanks much!

Continue down the road from Moab Rim, keep going when the road turns to dirt. After a few miles you will come to Hunter Canyon.

Mark

Iceaxe
10-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Anyone have any suggestions for other really scenic places that are nearby Moab that you love to go and could recommend?

Fisher Towers is scenic.

Fisher Towers
http://climb-utah.com/Moab/fisher.htm

bowjunkie
10-10-2011, 08:46 AM
awesome paintings !!!! are you gonna have any for sale while in Moab ?

blueeyes
10-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Gorgeous paintings! You should post more of those on Bogley so we can enjoy. Have fun in Moab!