PDA

View Full Version : I Shouldn't Be Alive - Chasm Of Death

Iceaxe
10-07-2011, 07:42 PM
I was watching Animal Planet tonight when "I Shouldn't Be Alive" came on. Tonights new episode was titled "Chasm Of Death" and details Ben Gowen's epic in Middle Fork of Leprechaun.

For those not familiar with the story its written up here:

Leprechaun Canyon Rescue (http://www.climb-utah.com/Powell/leprechaun2.htm)

Its a good story and the show is a must see for canyoneers as it contains some awesome slot canyon video footage. The show will repeat several times during the month of October.

Bshelton
10-07-2011, 08:05 PM
DVR set to record the 2 am showing.

Udink
10-07-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't usually watch this show, but I just happened to catch it tonight from the beginning. It's funny how much footage they used that wasn't anywhere near Leprechaun or North Wash. :haha:

Sandstone Addiction
10-07-2011, 08:26 PM
DVR set to record the 2 am showing.

Me too--got the episode with the mountaineering accident set to record too.

BTW--3 am for those of us in the MDT zone.

Iceaxe
10-07-2011, 08:57 PM
It's funny how much footage they used that wasn't anywhere near Leprechaun or North Wash. :haha:

I was surprised how much footage actually was North Wash....

ibenick
10-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Great episode, lots of good canyon shots. Huge difference between the TV version and the description from Ben on Shane's site though. And I've definitely never noticed the misspelled sign on Hwy 95 that says "Leperchaun Canyon Next Exit". Must be new? :lol8:

Iceaxe
10-07-2011, 09:28 PM
And I've definitely never noticed the misspelled sign on Hwy 95 that says "Leperchaun Canyon Next Exit". Must be new? :lol8:

Dang... I missed that.... I just lucked into the episode and missed the first few minutes.

The Britsh comapny that produces the show sent me an email about a year ago asking for Ben's contact information, which I sent them. But I never heard any more about it so I was a little surprised to see the show on tonight.

FYI: If I have my Life Flight information correct part of the Life Flight crew that rescued Ben was killed about a year later when their chopper went down west of the SLC airport. And the rescue chopper was not a Blackhawk like in the show.

EvergreenDean
10-08-2011, 08:05 AM
Yeah, my kids came running up to alert me to come see it. The road sign "Leperchaun Canyon, next right" was amusing. They got so much of it wrong. In the show, they rapped into the canyon, were having fun for quite a while in the deep slot, then came to an intersection where they had to make a choice as to which way to go. They chose the wrong direction and went into Middle Lep, presumably instead of much easier East Lep? Of course, once you choose either of these routes and complete the first rap, there are no more intersections or choices to make. They were in the wrong slot from the very start...not a wrong turn in canyon. Any wrong turn would send you up canyon, from any of the forks. I would be mad if I were these guys. The show portrayed them as sniveling sissies. Maybe they were, but the show sure drove that point home. Embarrassing!:oops:

EvergreenDean
10-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Just re-read the real story. The show also claimed they spent two nights in canyon, rescued on day three. Too bad they embellished. The story is good enough without exaggerating.

Iceaxe
10-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Too bad they embellished. The story is good enough without exaggerating.

I agree... sometimes it's nice when something you know a little about makes the news or TV and you can see how much they exaggerate. It lets you know to only believe about half of what you read or watch.

I still think the video shot in the slot canyons was excellent, better than the Ralston Movie which had a much larger budget.

Bshelton
10-08-2011, 10:14 AM
I agree... sometimes it's nice when something you know a little about makes the news or TV and you can see how much they exaggerate. It lets you know to only believe about half of what you read or watch.

I still think the video shot in the slot canyons was excellent, better than the Ralston Movie which had a much larger budget.

Agreed... They could have dine a much better job in 127 hours. They made it look like most canyoneering is simple day hikes. Although some are simple hikes once you get to them. They failed to portray just how much route finding is involved along with some of the technical difficulties getting down a slot canyon even if it isn't a "technical canyon". Water, stemming, lack of light, ect...

They did a much better job on this one hour low budget show with the exception to the exaggeration. I feel the Ralston movie portrayed the events more accurately.

Jammer
10-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this.

Yeah -- that road sign was damn funny.

Also -- did you guys notice the printed beta from Tom's website?

- Jamal

Sandstone Addiction
10-10-2011, 06:15 PM
How about that amazing GPS receiver that could get a signal lock down in the slot? I gotta get one of those.:haha:

Overall, the show was very entertaining...:nod:

yetigonecrazy
10-10-2011, 08:00 PM
why is a show about a slot canyon, in the desert, that has nothing to do with animals, on Animal Planet?

ghawk
10-10-2011, 10:31 PM
why is a show about a slot canyon, in the desert, that has nothing to do with animals, on Animal Planet?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, probably not worth worrying about though... Anyway, maybe someone else has some insight but I gotta get back to watching "The Universe" on the History Channel :crazy:

hank moon
10-10-2011, 11:21 PM
people are animals?

ratagonia
10-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the heads up on this.

Yeah -- that road sign was damn funny.

- Jamal

Ha! An anachronism, since I had little on North Wash at the time. :cool2:

T :moses:

Iceaxe
10-11-2011, 09:08 AM

Yeah... that kinda hurt my feelings. :cry1:

The show originally discovered the story after reading my website. They called me and I spent a couple hours talking about the incident, North Wash and canyoneering with them. I put them in touch with Ben Gowans.... and than they use a map off Tom's website.... That's just not right....

:fitz:

Jammer
10-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Some pics from the show:

So that's where the turn-off for the LEPER Canyon is:

I've never done it from the top, so I had no idea there was running water up there!

When the magic GPS doesn't work, always refer to the printed map for reference. You know, compare the topo lines to the sandstone wall 2 feet away from your face and obstructing any other view:

:haha:

- Jamal

Iceaxe
10-14-2011, 05:47 PM
This show is on again tonight.

9pm for those in Utah with DirectTV

azhiaziam
10-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Loved it

ocanler
10-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Just done watching it. Loved it!
If that's doesn't convince you to wear a helmet, I don't know what will.

freethinkin
10-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Just re-read the real story. The show also claimed they spent two nights in canyon, rescued on day three. Too bad they embellished. The story is good enough without exaggerating.

I just saw the show last night, and I actually thought that they didn't show them spending a 2nd night in the canyon. They showed them getting rescued at the beginning of the second night it seemed.

It seems the biggest mistake of the show is saying that the group erred by taking the wrong fork once in the canyon. I found myself asking why don't they just retrace their steps, go back to the fork, take the other side of the fork, and find their way out.

homerj
10-15-2011, 10:33 PM
It seems the biggest mistake of the show is saying that the group erred by taking the wrong fork once in the canyon. I found myself asking why don't they just retrace their steps, go back to the fork, take the other side of the fork, and find their way out.

I thought the same thing.

Cirrus2000
10-16-2011, 12:13 AM
I thought the same thing.
:nod:
X3

ocanler
10-16-2011, 11:49 AM
X4

I found myself screaming at the TV: "just turn around and go back to the fork". That did not help!:angryfire::angryfire:

Canyonbug
10-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Set to record!! On again in Utah on DirecTv on the 19th at 7 and 10 p.m.

spinesnaper
10-19-2011, 07:33 PM
I caught the segment this evening. There must have been a good reason they did not just turn around and go the way they came. Remember, these were not canyoneers. These were traumatized campers. Just love seeing red rock country no matter what the occasion.

Ken

MichelleRae
10-20-2011, 10:50 AM
I visited this area about a year ago. Thankfully I didn't get stuck in a slot like these gentleman, but it was pretty cool to see a show about a place I've been and love. I just hope it doesn't draw too many visitors to this area because I love the solitude. Not seeing a single person for a couple days is a nice change once in a while. :2thumbs:

Cirrus2000
10-20-2011, 03:17 PM
I caught the segment this evening. There must have been a good reason they did not just turn around and go the way they came.

The unfortunate thing, Ken, is that the show kind of played fast and loose with the facts, like Dean said near the start of the thread. The navigation error was in finding the drainage to enter - as I understand from reading up on it, they dropped into the Middle Fork, rather than the East Fork. They rapped in, pulled the rope, and then there was no going back. In the show, they made an error that could have been reversed.

Anybody who wasn't familiar with the real situation could be forgiven for scratching their head and wondering why they didn't just retrace their steps. Why did the show decide to portray it this way?? Good question. Ah, show biz.
:ne_nau:

spinesnaper
10-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Show business!! Say no more.

Ken

ratagonia
10-28-2011, 06:46 PM
The unfortunate thing, Ken, is that the show kind of played fast and loose with the facts, like Dean said near the start of the thread. The navigation error was in finding the drainage to enter - as I understand from reading up on it, they dropped into the Middle Fork, rather than the East Fork. They rapped in, pulled the rope, and then there was no going back. In the show, they made an error that could have been reversed.

Anybody who wasn't familiar with the real situation could be forgiven for scratching their head and wondering why they didn't just retrace their steps. Why did the show decide to portray it this way?? Good question. Ah, show biz.
:ne_nau:

My guess is the writers were given the information that they "took the wrong fork". With little to no knowledge of canyoneering, they portrayed people "taking the wrong fork".

T

tradkelly
10-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Middle Lep was my introduction to canyoneering as well; we approached from the north instead of south for Right Lep, and decided we were close enough to drop into what seemed to be the correct slot. *That* was an interesting first day; I was really glad to have had a lot of technical climbing experience, and gained a *lot* of experience in what not to do really quickly. :) A 3A-R-III canyon as a warmup and introduction really got me hooked... and that probably doesn't say anything good about me at all. :roll: