PDA

View Full Version : Why men are in trouble.

blueeyes
10-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Interesting article on CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/04/opinion/bennett-men-in-trouble/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Editor's note: William J. Bennett, a CNN contributor, is the author of "The Book of Man: Readings on the Path to Manhood (http://tntradebooks.com/bookofman/)." Bennett is the Washington fellow of the Claremont Institute. He was U.S. secretary of education from 1985 to 1988 and was director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy under President George H.W. Bush.

(CNN) -- For the first time in history, women are better educated, more ambitious and arguably more successful than men.

Now, society has rightly celebrated the ascension of one sex. We said, "You go girl," and they went. We celebrate the ascension of women but what will we do about what appears to be the very real decline of the other sex?

The data does not bode well for men. In 1970, men earned 60% of all college degrees. In 1980, the figure fell to 50%, by 2006 it was 43%. Women now surpass men in college degrees by almost three to two. Women's earnings grew 44% in real dollars from 1970 to 2007, compared with 6% growth for men.
In 1950, 5% of men at the prime working age were unemployed. As of last year, 20% were not working, the highest ever recorded. Men still maintain a majority of the highest paid and most powerful occupations, but women are catching them and will soon be passing them if this trend continues.

The warning signs for men stretch far beyond their wallets. Men are more distant from a family or their children then they have ever been. The out-of-wedlock birthrate is more than 40% in America. In 1960, only 11% of children in the U.S. lived apart from their fathers. In 2010, that share had risen to 27%. Men are also less religious than ever before. According to Gallup polling, 39% of men reported attending church regularly in 2010, compared to 47% of women.
If you don't believe the numbers, just ask young women about men today. You will find them talking about prolonged adolescence and men who refuse to grow up. I've heard too many young women asking, "Where are the decent single men?" There is a maturity deficit among men out there, and men are falling behind.

[FONT=&quot]This decline in founding virtues -- work, marriage, and religion -- has caught the eye of social commentators from all corners. In her seminal article (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/07/the-end-of-men/8135/), "The End of Men," Hanna Rosin unearthed the unprecedented role reversal that is taking place today. "Man has been the dominant sex since, well, the dawn of mankind. But for the first time in human history, that is changing

Iceaxe
10-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Men can pee standing up..... nuff' said!

:cool2:

blueeyes
10-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Iceaxe you were born in the age of men that was before 1970 I don't think this article pertains to you. :cool2:

Sometime after that year it is hit and miss. You can liken it to standing up to pee they might get it in the toilet or miss all together. The guys when the stand up to pee that is hit or miss the toilet. Us women get in the toilet every time.

blueeyes
10-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Saw this on FB today couldn't resist. I love Betty White!

Why do people say "Grow some balls"? balls are weak and sensitive! If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

Really I posted the article mostly because I found it interesting especially after the topic of higher education comes up frequently around here.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?59580-College-Education-is-the-largest-scam-in-U.S.-History

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?60235-Is-College-Worth-It-InfoGraphic

I was most surprised by the fact that more women then men are obtaining degrees. And happy to see that women as a whole are increasing their income. Do I agree with everything in this article, no. I don't think a mans attendance in church is necessary for him to know right from wrong or have good moral values. On the contrary I think for some it can be a determent. Do we need men? HELL YES! A good man is worth his weight in gold.

Anyway hope you enjoyed the Betty White quote it sure made me laugh. :lol8:

canyonphile
10-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Why do people say "Grow some balls"? balls are weak and sensitive! If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

:lol8: :five: Go Betty!:stud:

I was most surprised by the fact that more women then men are obtaining degrees. And happy to see that women as a whole are increasing their income. Do I agree with everything in this article, no. I don't think a mans attendance in church is necessary for him to know right from wrong or have good moral values. On the contrary I think for some it can be a determent. Do we need men? HELL YES! A good man is worth his weight in gold.

That is interesting. I knew that the majority of students in medical school are women, but that's sort of surprising to see that it extends to undergraduate degrees as well. If these guys aren't going to college, then what exactly are they doing? Sitting around playing World of Warcraft? Not exactly a career choice.

I agree with you that lack of religion is not a big contributing factor to a man (or woman, for that matter) being successful and having a well-balanced life. I'd say it probably stems more from the broken family issue and the lack of values (like work ethic, and treating fellow human beings with respect) and even basic manners being taught at home. It also seems that there is a generation of kids and younger people who are being told by their parents that they are unique and that the world owes them something. So, they become completely self-absorbed and have an over-inflated sense of self-importance, all thanks to their parents. I see these pretentious little pricks walking around thinking they are special, which causes them to act like asses.

tanya
10-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Iceaxe you were born in the age of men that was before 1970 I don't think this article pertains to you. :cool2:

Sometime after that year it is hit and miss. You can liken it to standing up to pee they might get it in the toilet or miss all together. The guys when the stand up to pee that is hit or miss the toilet. Us women get in the toilet every time.

:lol8: Go Girl!

blueeyes
10-04-2011, 07:19 PM
I see these pretentious little pricks walking around thinking they are special, which causes them to act like asses. Very true.

tanya
10-04-2011, 07:20 PM
I see these pretentious little pricks walking around thinking they are special, which causes them to act like asses.

:lol8::lol8: Love it!

REDFOX
10-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Whew ! I was born in 1970 :nod:

Dr. Nebz
10-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Men can pee standing up..... nuff' said!

:cool2:

I know a few girls that can do this too. Just sayin.............

tanya
10-04-2011, 11:19 PM
:lol8: