PDA

View Full Version : desert tortoise

goofball
10-03-2011, 09:14 PM
i came across a couple desert tortoise today and wonder what they were up to. both ~ 10+/-" shells. this is how they were when i 1st saw them.

i suppose the males fight over food or mating or whatever and wonder if that is what they were doing. i can't imagine it was a mating pair, i wouldn't think they know any other position but doggy, missionary would be difficult to regain ones footing from.

any ideas ?

Skylinerider
10-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Break dance contest.

Felicia
10-03-2011, 09:49 PM
The tortoise will die if he does not get off his back. The males fight and try to flip each other. It is very hard for them to get back on all fours. I hope he makes it. :cry1:

REDFOX
10-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Getting some sunshine on his belly, maybe just relaxing.

goofball
10-05-2011, 01:43 PM
The tortoise will die if he does not get off his back. The males fight and try to flip each other. It is very hard for them to get back on all fours. I hope he makes it. :cry1:

that is exactly what i thought. so in blatant disregard of the prime directive i righted the upset tortoise. i fully expect mercy from the coming tortoise overlords for my act of compassion.

Udink
10-05-2011, 03:04 PM
so in blatant disregard of the prime directive i righted the upset tortoise. i fully expect mercy from the coming tortoise overlords for my act of compassion.
:2thumbs::lol8:

accadacca
10-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Awesome photo! Thanks for posting. :2thumbs:

canyonphile
10-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Wow - how lucky to see these guys out in the wild, and great photo! My first thought when I saw the picture was what Felicia said: two males fighting. The upright guy clearly has an attitude going on after he kicked some ass :haha:.

I'm glad you uprighted the "loser", even if it goes against Mother Nature's directive. But, considering it is our fault the desert tortoise is in decline due to habitat destruction, intervening on his behalf was of course the right thing to do :2thumbs:.

I saved a small (6") desert tortoise from nearly certain demise years ago when I saw it trying to cross the highway between Paulden, AZ and Ash Fork (I-40). He was in the middle of the road, and luckily, I was able to pull off in time and grab him before someone coming the other way hit him. IMO, these creatures can use all the help they can get when in dire straits.

BLUEberryBOB
10-06-2011, 09:27 AM
I think humans should live underground and leave nature alone :mrgreen:.
Think about how beautiful the world would be with paths cut everywhere for people to explore and enjoy nature untouched by buildings and highways.

Its one hell of a stretch but its the only way to be an advanced civilization and not destroy ones own habitat.
Props for up righting the guy!:2thumbs:

mhambi
10-06-2011, 12:06 PM
that is exactly what i thought. so in blatant disregard of the prime directive i righted the upset tortoise. i fully expect mercy from the coming tortoise overlords for my act of compassion.

Sadly, the upside down tortoise carries a mutated gene that, while only weakening him, when passed on will result in the complete extinction of desert tortoises. The stronger male was right to leave him for dead. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?? [/unintended consequences] :lol8:

Cool pic! :)

goofball
10-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Sadly, the upside down tortoise carries a mutated gene that, while only weakening him, when passed on will result in the complete extinction of desert tortoises. The stronger male was right to leave him for dead. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?? [/unintended consequences] :lol8:

oh god i didn't know ! what have i done ?!? I DIDN'T KNOW !!! i better watch my back for a while til they're all dead.

:facepalm:

mattandersao
10-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Ya the winner is going to be pissed you saved his enemy. You better watch your back!