PDA

View Full Version : West Fork Leprechaun conditions - warning?

nonot
10-02-2011, 01:00 AM
Did the West fork of Lep on Friday. Had to re-establish some anchors. After the west fork dumps you into the main fork, I encountered something I have not seen described before. In the last 30 of maybe 100 yards of main fork between the west fork intersection and east fork intersection, I down-climbed, stemmed, and elevatored down several boulders into a very narrow, left leaning crack. Near the end of this crack I found what seemed like a hundred large rocks, or rock splinters, beach ball sized or slightly bigger, jamming up the slot very tightly, as if something above the canyon collapsed into the main fork. By crawling under the boulders through the mud and enlarging an opening near the bottom by tunnelling like a rat, I was just able to get my hips through this obstacle, after removing my harness. It seems that women and men with large hips would be unable to complete this strategy and might be forced to do an awkward and extraordinarily difficult 40 ft stem upclimb of the leaning/muddy slot section to get over this boulder jam.

This was my first time in the canyon, if conditions are normally like this, then someone can correct me, but if not, then this might be an indication that the West Fork of Lep will be much, much harder for some people. I didn't see evidence of anyone in there since the last rain in the area.

Note: East Fork Lep was just great, and I don't miss the skin it rubbed off me one bit.

CarpeyBiggs
10-02-2011, 07:37 AM
interesting. it's possible it's getting even more debris in there, but the canyon definitely got more difficult last year. west lep, and shimrock are now much more difficult, it's been mentioned a handful of times on this forum. i was there in the spring, and you definitely had to crawl a few feet, then push up through the bunny hole (which has been there a long time, but it's much tighter now.)

but what you describe makes it sound like perhaps with some big rains, the debris has resettled yet again, so maybe it's even tougher? but the actual obstacle was/is only like 20 yards in length when i did it.

definitely something to keep an eye on. thanks for the update. :2thumbs:

MSchasch
10-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Was in Main yesterday.

Whats changed (at least since the last time I did it in January), is that instead of standing up and wigglin yourself through the hole, you have to get down to the canyon floor. Seems slightly harder, but not much. I couldn't figure out what really caused it. Either the rocks resettled, or some sand got pushed into the area.

alrighty then

Iceaxe
10-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the update. :2thumbs:

MSchasch
10-03-2011, 03:08 PM
No problem

I just realized I also did this canyon in March too. The hole was still the same as in January.

Just bring a g pick or dull pocket knife as life insurance and you'll be fine.

ghawk
10-03-2011, 03:13 PM
No problem

I just realized I also did this canyon in March too. The hole was still the same as in January.

Just bring a g pick or dull pocket knife as life insurance and you'll be fine.

Yeah and if you need a g pick tom's got them up on his site right now... limited time special :nod:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/product.php?productid=16395&cat=0&page=1

Pelon1
10-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Yeah and if you need a g pick tom's got them up on his site right now... limited time special :nod:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/product.php?productid=16395&cat=0&page=1

Geez Tom really doesn't want you using one of these in the canyons at $900:nono:

ratagonia
10-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Geez Tom really doesn't want you using one of these in the canyons at $900:nono:

Oh man, thanks for pointing that out -- I meant to end the sale ages ago! Sorry folks, but it is back up to full price.

Incidentally, for those following along at home, 50% of the sale price goes directly to SUWA.

Tom :moses: