PDA

View Full Version : Muller ride on Demo carbon fiber IBIS

RedSpecialized
09-25-2011, 10:06 AM
A local bike show in bountiful was demoing some new IBIS bikes for free last week. The IBIS rep was in town for outerbike. Redfox (shawn) & I decided to take two out last min. last week. We rode muller after hearing the section around the pipline was now rideable. I've never ridden a carbon MTN. Bike before, I couldn't believe how light & how well they climbed. We took out an SL-R & SL model (140mm travel bikes). I think they were bare over 20lbs. I have a picture with shawn holding the SL-R up with just two fingers. That one was slightly lighter than the SL model. Unfortunately we got a late start and were riding out in the dark so we didn't really get to test the downhill capabilities. Here are some pictures of the ride. Pretty nice bikes, if I were to get a carbon fiber bike, this would be it probably.

sent from Samsung Epic 4g

blueeyes
09-25-2011, 10:13 AM
I like the black and blue colors! Gorgeous bikes.

REDFOX
09-25-2011, 08:30 PM
I liked the black and blue colors as well. The bike pedaled awesome uphill. It was way too unstable on the downhill sections. I have been spoiled with the stability of a downhill bike in comparison. With a price tag of around 7500.00, I would rather have a lesser priced all mountain style bike even if it is 12 lbs heavier than the ibis.

live2ride
09-26-2011, 01:11 PM
man that is a sexy bike....did you get a chance to try any 29'rs out?

Sombeech
09-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Awesome, so Mueller is officially open then huh?

mxerhale
09-26-2011, 03:24 PM
man that is a sexy bike....did you get a chance to try any 29'rs out?

I'm pretty sure Ibis hasn't jumped on the wagon yet so they don't make a 29er... yet.

RedSpecialized
09-26-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm pretty sure Ibis hasn't jumped on the wagon yet so they don't make a 29er... yet.

Yeah, no 29ers, never ridden one of those, it would be fun to try one out some time. Ibis hasn't entered that relm yet. The white IBIS I rode retailed for about $2,500 the bike shop said. Not bad for a carbon frame. You can get it in any color they say. Ibis is very customizeable from what they told me. Color, shocks, forks, wheels...etc...you get the picture.

As for Muller being officially open......I don't know but they have a trail over the pipe line that is completely rideable. I wouldn't think they would still be giving tickets, I saw several people riding it.

sent from Samsung Epic 4g

REDFOX
09-26-2011, 07:28 PM
I'm not a smooth enough rider for a 29er bike. I would taco those wheels in a heartbeat.

LuckySomer
09-27-2011, 01:14 AM

The Ripley is the Ibis full suspension 29er. They are taking orders but I'm guessing you wouldn't see the bike until the moutains are locked up for the season.

BTW the SL can easily fixed for Utah with a Fox 36/160 fork which is less than a 1lb hit. It cured me of OTB. That and just getting a little smarter.

live2ride
09-27-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm not a smooth enough rider for a 29er bike. I would taco those wheels in a heartbeat.

I bet you are smooth enough, they say they favor beginners cause they roll over everything so easy and you don't have to pick your lines as much. You know they make alot of different 29er versions of wheels now, even those cobalts come in a 29er.. Downeville classic is dominated by 29ers, plenty of beefed up 29ers out there that I am sure you would be okay without doing a grand old taco, mueller is notorious for tacos, I have taco'ed two rims from me being stupid up there of course they were when I first started and hit some of the upper root sections out of controll!

chromehead58
09-27-2011, 09:54 AM
My friend is trying to talk me into going to 29 inch...he loves them...I have not heard they taco easy, I would like to hear or if you can hook me up with a link. I beat the crap out of rims as it is....

jinx
09-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Keep in mind, that just because they have all kinds of rim options for the 29er rider now, doesnt make the rim as stiff as a more inherently stiff 26" rim. Just like longer breaker bars do a world of good for "breaking" locked on nuts and bolts, a longer breaker bar is easier to bend. A longer wheel(radius from hub to rim) will also add extra leverage to the mix making it easier to bend. A larger radius rim will also decrease the angle between the spokes that are laced to either side of the hub(that is assuming that your hub flanges remain at a constant width across the hub). An acute isosceles triangle is obviously(I hope) less stable than an equilateral triangle(we are talking about the wheel in cross-section here).
I understand the benefits of 29", matter of fact my next hardtail trail bike will be a 29er, but will I be replacing my BIG bike with bigger wheels? NO
Just because a sponsored rider rides a 29" rim in an "all-mountain" downhill race situation doesnt mean they are strong enough for the average rider. Pro level sponsored riders get a new rim laced on their bikes ever race and the racers themselves are two thirds the weight of an average rider.

mxerhale
09-27-2011, 02:59 PM
I was a naysayer not too long ago Jinx and now I'm glad I test rode a 29er, you should too before you say it wouldn't replace your BIG bike. Pounding throught the rocks of Snow Basin is a pretty good test on wheels and so far so good on my Niner Jet. FYI I came off of a Titus El Guapo.

jinx
09-27-2011, 03:53 PM
My big bike is a banshee scream... 'nuff said

REDFOX
09-27-2011, 09:46 PM
I think along the same lines as jiinx. My wheels on 3 different bikes are all heavy duty rims, 36 hole 14 gauge spokes, and I even had a wheel builder in Provo lace them in a 4 cross pattern for additional strength. I have a hardtime passing up jumps even the flat and reverse grade landings. A rock garden to me is rocks the size of basketballs. I keep thinking that one day I will grow up and tone it down a bit and a lighter bike would be more enjoyable for the majority of the group rides that I have been doing the past few years. Jiinx you should ride the Canyons with me this coming Saturday as they are closing for the winter. Bring the Banshee, pads, and a fullface helmet.

jinx
09-28-2011, 07:15 AM
I actually have been trying to find someone to ride there with, dont know why I didnt think about you first... I will see if I can make it.
Snowbasin is a good start, mxer. Go ride thieves forest/fire swamp/NCS over at Deer Valley with your 29er, then I will start listening a little more.