PDA

View Full Version : Castle Rocks Park questions

DesertDuke
09-15-2011, 08:26 PM
I briefly stopped at CRSP today on the way home from COR. it looks great, but if the one parking area is what they have then I am a bit perplexed. I could see some nice spires, but they seemed to be multiple miles away. Does one really have to hike miles in to get to the meat of this park? I looked on the web site and it did not say anything about overnight backpacking. It only lists their camp site at Smokey Mountain for $22/night. ??

Duke

Brian in SLC
09-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Subject of a bunch of debate over the years, and, still is.

I liked how the park was set up initially. Walk in climbing. Versus the roadside stuff at the City. Made CRSP unique. Then, they punched in the road to Castle Rock. Also are plans to shore up and open the road, with parking, out to near the Comp Wall, Fenceline, the Taco.

So, no, you don't have to hike "miles" to access the climbing. The parking lot at the Castle is small, but, the climbing is really close. You could also park by the Ranch House in the big lot, or, at the gate for the road that leads out towards Fenceline, Comp, Taco, etc etc. This road loops both in front of and behind the area. So, there's at least three parking lots now, with another planned (rumor?).

Unsure of overnight backpacking. Camping is at Smokey Mountain. More spendy, and, no where near the Castle or the City, but, more developed. Water and showers. There's a yurt there to rent too. You can also rent out the Ranch House which is a sweet deal for a couple of couples (with kids, etc), but, a bit annoying that folks still think its the park's office.

I climb a TON in the Castle. I don't mind hiking awhile. With the new parking lot at the Castle, I don't have to hike now either, to access the rocks there and it does reduce the hike into the backcountry areas by 10 or so minutes, although, the Taco area is still the same distance/time.

Cheers.

DesertDuke
09-17-2011, 07:22 AM
Thanks, as I said I just passed through and only saw the parking lot there at a picnic area. I could see lots of climbing back in there but could not figure out access and just want to know the options. If backcountry hiking is the way in I am up for that but only if: 1. I can backpack and stay and 2. I won't meet up with others that drove into the same tplace. I don't want to pack in to a parking lot that just had a different route.

Thanks again