PDA

View Full Version : Moose Encounter on Sardine Peak Trail

Sombeech
09-14-2011, 10:19 PM
It was getting a little dark, the sun had set, and I'm BLAZING down the trail trying to catch Jed. Flying through the thick trees, then all of a sudden this small clearing maybe 20' wide comes up quick on my right, and a dark figure standing right next to the trail.

OK, so it's actually common to see a moose, in fact probably THIS moose a few times, on the trails up near Snowbasin. This was on the Sardine Peak trail tonight.

This was the closest I've come to a Bull moose though. I had the camera filming the bike frame, aiming down on the suspension when I cruised by this dude as he was taking a sip in this small clearing. @jinx (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=308) had cruised on buy not noticing, but when I passed him he wasn't more than 10' off the trail.

I stopped 20' passed him, jumped off the bike and scrambled to unmount the camera, by the time I walked back towards him he was starting to get spooked a bit and make his way back into the trees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9_-rM9wu7A

live2ride
09-15-2011, 08:12 AM
Nice! I never stop when I see moose on the trail, too many close calls for me to take a chance, or I am just a big pussy? I actually havent seen on actually on the trails for about two years? I hear all the rustling in the bushes but never stop so I am sure that they are looking at me whizz by. WIth all the bear sightings in the Ogden area and my great luck it would probably be a bear that I spooked..:facepalm1:

neilether
09-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Nice! I never stop when I see moose on the trail, too many close calls for me to take a chance, or I am just a big pussy? I actually havent seen on actually on the trails for about two years? I hear all the rustling in the bushes but never stop so I am sure that they are looking at me whizz by. WIth all the bear sightings in the Ogden area and my great luck it would probably be a bear that I spooked..:facepalm1:

I'm with you. I have had a rather tense experience with a moose in the past and it is not something I am looking to repeat. I try to give them a wide berth.

Sombeech
09-15-2011, 08:50 AM
I figure if I start playing with their young offspring while in sight of the mother, it might get me on her good side.

gholt
09-15-2011, 11:52 AM
I haven't seen one since earlier this summer, a she moose on the Last Chance trail. I usually don't stop and say hi, I just ride on.

live2ride
09-15-2011, 11:56 AM
man i just posted a link to a KSL article that a bear snatched a goat in Mtn Green, sure as hell hope I don't run into a hungry bear at basin...