PDA

View Full Version : Invite Music Canyon September 24

Scott P
09-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Does anyone want to do Music Canyon September 24?

Udink
09-13-2011, 06:59 PM
I might be interested, if you didn't mind a noob coming along. I've got a little canyoneering gear, and of course a truck to help with the short shuttle back up from Hidden Splendor. You are just planning on hiking down the Muddy when exiting the canyon, right?

skiclimb3287
09-13-2011, 09:09 PM
I also would be really interested. Certainly compared to your background Scott, I am a noob. That being said, I have ~10 canyons under my belt (leading most), but mostly trade routes (Keyhole, Pine Creek, Orderville, Spry, Echo to name a few). I have all the gear necessary (whether you are planning to head out the Muddy or reascend Music) plus some. I have only had a little bit of experience with building natural anchors. I also have a Jeep, so certainly capable of the car shuttle as well, like Udink. Think that covers it! Oh yeah...I almost forgot the rule about being invited along on a trip...I am happy to carry the ropes :nod:

bowjunkie
09-13-2011, 09:55 PM
might toss my hat in the pot to if fall work is caught up !

Scott P
09-14-2011, 07:50 PM
might be interested, if you didn't mind a noob coming along. I've got a little canyoneering gear, and of course a truck to help with the short shuttle back up from Hidden Splendor. You are just planning on hiking down the Muddy when exiting the canyon, right?

Yes, down the Muddy, thus the request for partners. As long as you are sure that you can rappel (short) and downclimb, you should be OK. In October 1988, my brother and I (at ages 12 and 14) managed to climb all the way up and down this slot (though my brother couldn't make the final part of the last [first from the top] drop with our wet shoes), so it's not that hard.

That being said, I have ~10 canyons under my belt (leading most), but mostly trade routes (Keyhole, Pine Creek, Orderville, Spry, Echo to name a few).

Music shouldn't be any harder than those, but it is a fairly long day and longer than all of those except possibly Orderville. Where do you live? My dad is coming and was looking for someone to carpool with. He lives in SLC.

might toss my hat in the pot to if fall work is caught up !

Yes, let us know.

skiclimb3287
09-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Scott - that sounds great. Not worried about length...I am known for dragging friends on all day, race the darkness hikes (the Beatout Hike for example). The longer the better in my opinion :slobber: Anyway, we can take the rest off the public forum. PM will be sent shortly.

ratagonia
09-17-2011, 03:41 PM
I'll see you guys there. I am expecting to lead that trip for the SUWA roundup.

Tom :moses:

Scott P
09-17-2011, 10:28 PM
I am going to the SUWA Roundup too. I was under the impression that they weren't doing any technical canyons, so I was going to break away from the group Saturday and do Music instead. I should have went back more recently and read the schedule of activities.:oops:

PS, I'm making home-made donuts for the potluck Saturday night.

Anyway, if Udink, skiclimb or others still want to do a Music trip (and didn't want to go with the SUWA group), I'd still be happy to go in there an hour or so before Tom's group. My son is coming, but is fast, but my dad is coming as well and he's starting to slow down a bit (but still hold his own for someone pushing 70; he still climbs Timp in a day) and I don't know how fast Tom's group plans on going (otherwise I'd just assume joining his group), so a slightly slower group leaving a little early might not be a bad plan.

skiclimb3287
09-20-2011, 08:05 AM
I am going to the SUWA Roundup too. I was under the impression that they weren't doing any technical canyons, so I was going to break away from the group Saturday and do Music instead. I should have went back more recently and read the schedule of activities.:oops:

PS, I'm making home-made donuts for the potluck Saturday night.

Anyway, if Udink, skiclimb or others still want to do a Music trip (and didn't want to go with the SUWA group), I'd still be happy to go in there an hour or so before Tom's group. My son is coming, but is fast, but my dad is coming as well and he's starting to slow down a bit (but still hold his own for someone pushing 70; he still climbs Timp in a day) and I don't know how fast Tom's group plans on going (otherwise I'd just assume joining his group), so a slightly slower group leaving a little early might not be a bad plan.

Sounds like it is going to be quite the busy weekend in that area! SUWA roundup and 2 separate groups from the Yahoo group.

Since I am not currently a member of SUWA, I will stay out of that trip. Happy to come down and join an earlier group, but if you want to run with the SUWA crew, that is fine by me. I can sit this one out and actually get something down around my house for once this summer (fall?) as I can count on 1 hand the number of weekends I have stayed home :crazy:. Let me know. No worries either way.

bowjunkie
09-20-2011, 12:34 PM
well due to rain I won't make it !! fall work is way behind ugh

ststephen
09-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Sounds fun, but where you all for *last* year's SUWA round up! We had an awesome time on the same route. Looks like my time to get away to UT in the fall will be later this year. Have fun...

Udink
09-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Hah, sorry to bail like everyone else, but I won't be making this one after all. I don't even have an excuse, other than that I got a better offer (but having the SUWA group in the area is reason enough for me to do something less crowded). It was very cool of you to throw the offer out though, Scott. I hope I can take you up on a future offer if one arises.

The Good Cop
09-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Hope to meet you there Scott, it would be a pleasure. My group will be off on different canyons but hopefully will have the chance to hang in the evenings.

Wayne