PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Hitch Mount Bike Rack

Sombeech
09-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Anybody selling? I've got the 2" receiver, Class III. I'm looking for a 4 bike capacity.

Just in case I ever bring the Klein along for somebody, it's got the thick tube so I'd be needing a rack to carry that. The racks that carry the bike from the wheels are ideal, but more pricey.

I'm scouting KSL too.

This one on amazon looks pretty decent:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RLBN54/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bogloutdcomm-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B004RLBN54

But I'd love to find a used one for much less

REDFOX
09-11-2011, 08:59 PM
I have been scouting for the same thing for 2 years now on ksl. Let me know when you find a deal on 2 of them. I may have to build one like Redspecialized did. I do like the 1upusa model, rust proof and lightweight. I put a class 3 hitch on my wifes car 3 months ago hoping to find a bike rack.

Sombeech
09-11-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm finding this one but for only 2 bikes. That might be the closest I can get for a decent price.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=17194299&cat=&lpid=0&search=thule

gholt
09-12-2011, 08:09 AM
I spent I think 2 - 3 years scouting for this. I think it is non existant. I finally gave up and go the hollywood road runner that takes up to 5 bikes. (Haven't tried it with 5 adult mtn bikes, but it takes mine , the misses and the three kids bikes.

neilether
09-12-2011, 08:38 AM
I have this one:

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S64665.html

It has been really great and the customer service from Swagman has been phenomenal. These things are pretty hard to find used.......

Sombeech
09-12-2011, 09:36 AM
I have this one:

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S64665.html

It has been really great and the customer service from Swagman has been phenomenal. These things are pretty hard to find used.......

That's a nice one, I'd love to find it used for under 200 though.

RedSpecialized
09-12-2011, 10:22 AM
I was in the same boat as almost everyone out there, trying to find a 4 place hitch rack that didn't break the bank and cost more than my bike. Almost everyone new was $700 plus. I speant months and months searching ksl and every other place I could think of. Couldn't find anything for less than $500. So in desperation I decided to build one. With a little trial an error an about 2 months later I had a 4 place that will fit any bike from 16inch. Wheels to 29inch. and everything in between. Don't have to mess with raising or lowering seats either to get bikes to miss the bars on the bike next to it. Its not the prettiest thing out there but it works well. Its been to grand junction/fruita twice and to green river wy once and all over the wasatch front. It fold up when no bikes are on the rack as well. All this for a final cost of about $200. Not bad considering......plus I get a lot of comments on it in parking lots when I'm unloading/loading my bike...."what is that thing?", "man that is differnt, does it really work?", "where can I get one?" and such.

Instead of buying one, just build it!!

sent from Samsung Epic 4g

gholt
09-13-2011, 04:12 PM
I was in the same boat as almost everyone out there, trying to find a 4 place hitch rack that didn't break the bank and cost more than my bike. Almost everyone new was $700 plus. I speant months and months searching ksl and every other place I could think of. Couldn't find anything for less than $500. So in desperation I decided to build one. With a little trial an error an about 2 months later I had a 4 place that will fit any bike from 16inch. Wheels to 29inch. and everything in between. Don't have to mess with raising or lowering seats either to get bikes to miss the bars on the bike next to it. Its not the prettiest thing out there but it works well. Its been to grand junction/fruita twice and to green river wy once and all over the wasatch front. It fold up when no bikes are on the rack as well. All this for a final cost of about $200. Not bad considering......plus I get a lot of comments on it in parking lots when I'm unloading/loading my bike...."what is that thing?", "man that is differnt, does it really work?", "where can I get one?" and such.

Instead of buying one, just build it!!

That is huge. Does it bottom out on the low gutters?

REDFOX
09-13-2011, 05:46 PM
The rack itself rides about 8 inches above the receiver entry point. This is part of the pivot assembly. The rack is mounted on a tahoe and I have never seen it bottom out. Since this rack is Redspecialized (Bens) he could give you more description or pictures.

RedSpecialized
09-13-2011, 09:25 PM
That is huge. Does it bottom out on the low gutters?

REDFOX is correct it sits about 8in. Above receiver. I have only put it on my tahoe but it has never drug bottom. I have been on some deep dips as well. it is a little longer than most racks but it is probably about the same height.

Sombeech
09-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Did you do any welding on that or is it all bolted together?

blueeyes
09-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Wow That is a nice rack! :lol8: (Always wanted to say that to a guy and have it be relevant.)

dmMatrix
09-14-2011, 01:34 PM
Have you ever thought about producing more of those and selling them yourself? It seems as though you could make some good cash.

RedSpecialized
09-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Did you do any welding on that or is it all bolted together?

No welds, it's aluminum sq. Tubing that is just bolted all together with sq. U-bolts. I was thinking of welding it but don't have a welder and by bolting it I could adjust it if I needed to.

RedSpecialized
09-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Wow That is a nice rack! :lol8: (Always wanted to say that to a guy and have it be relevant.)

Why thank you!! I've been told that before......haha

RedSpecialized
09-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Have you ever thought about producing more of those and selling them yourself? It seems as though you could make some good cash.

I thought about it for 1 second and decided I didn't want the liability. Plus who wants to pay for a rack made with black ABS pipe?

Sombeech
09-14-2011, 02:19 PM
How much bounce or sway does it get? Ever get concerned with your heavier bikes?

RedSpecialized
09-14-2011, 03:04 PM
How much bounce or sway does it get? Ever get concerned with your heavier bikes?

The bikes move a little but really not that much. I would guess not much more then a THULE rack, but have never used one of those so I don't know for sure. We've had my 48lb. Shawns 48lb. & another 38lb. Bike all the way to grand junction CO with out problem. My first trip down there I was slightly nervous. We had more than 6k worth of bikes there & really didn't want to see them bouncing down the interstate at 75+ MPH. Everything's worked fine though. I've made some slight modifications since I first started using it 2 yrs. Ago. Now I think I'm good.

You need one to use with your PVC rack. That way you could haul 9 bikes in style!

gholt
09-19-2011, 08:37 AM
RedSpecialized: Have you put together a set of plans / supplies to build this. This looks like something that may be better than the Hollywood rack I have.

RedSpecialized
09-24-2011, 02:36 PM
RedSpecialized: Have you put together a set of plans / supplies to build this. This looks like something that may be better than the Hollywood rack I have.

I haven't done that. If you want you could come look at it or when I get some time I could do it.

RedSpecialized
09-24-2011, 02:46 PM

I haven't done that. If you want you could come look at it or when I get some time I could do it.

reverse_dyno
10-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Anyone have any experience with thule or yakima hitch mounted racks that hold bikes by the wheels?

Is one better than the other? They look like they are pretty much the same design.

http://www.rei.com/product/784535/yakima-holdup-bike-hitch-rack
http://www.rei.com/product/816726/thule-t2-xtr-2-bike

greyhair biker
10-03-2011, 07:32 PM
I have a trailer that holds seven bikes I'd sell ya.:cool2:

agostinone
10-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Anyone have any experience with thule or yakima hitch mounted racks that hold bikes by the wheels?

Is one better than the other? They look like they are pretty much the same design.

http://www.rei.com/product/784535/yakima-holdup-bike-hitch-rack
http://www.rei.com/product/816726/thule-t2-xtr-2-bike

I've got the Thule and Love, Love, Love It.

You can adjust the span to accommodate different bike lengths (kiddy to adult). You can adjust the spacing between the bikes and offset the bikes. Coolest part is that you can drop it down with your bikes loaded and open the hatch on the SUV. I've only got the 2 bike version (haven't added the 4 bike extension). We've taken it on some nasty roads getting to trail heads and it has held up fine. I've had it for 4 years now. It's the third or fourth rack I have owned and it's by far the best. The Yak is probably similar. I only picked the Thule because it was available at a shop near by.