View Full Version : What do you do when Water Runs Low

tanya
09-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Has this ever happened to you?

One hikers dilemma.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/02/us/02hikers.html?_r=3&src=tp&smid=fb-share

DOSS
09-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Your poll questions don't fit all situations.. If I have the water to share.. I will share but I am not going to put myself or my group in danger due to another groups/persons failure to bring enough water. How I divide up in my own group is also going to depend on a lot of variables as well... but for the most part it is survival of the fittest

tanya
09-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Would that not fit under Live on what you brought?

denaliguide
09-03-2011, 10:36 PM
why would i interfere with natural selection? live on what you carried.

wasatchghost
09-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Yeah, it's just like on airplanes, when they tell you to "secure your own mask before assisting others." Better to have one strong hiker (who can go get help) than to have two half-strong hikers IMHO

DOSS
09-05-2011, 04:08 AM
Would that not fit under Live on what you brought?

That depends.. are kids involved? an accident? There are times that I will place myself into risk for others but the situation will dictate what I do... but yeah mostly it does fall under everyone lives on what you brought until that doesn't fit anymore because of other variables :)

bowjunkie
09-06-2011, 08:25 PM
That depends.. are kids involved? an accident? There are times that I will place myself into risk for others but the situation will dictate what I do... but yeah mostly it does fall under everyone lives on what you brought until that doesn't fit anymore because of other variables :)

X2

Dr. Nebz
09-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Hmm. From reading the article, the hikers that ran into the man that died shared their water, and urged him to go to the river to replenish his water. The guy refused and said he was going to continue up the trail. I say at that point, you have done all you can. I think you should help someone, no matter the situation, if you can.

Not related to water, but to helping people out, coming out of Christmas Meadows on Sunday we ran into a group that had hiked from the Highline Trail into Middle Basin, and did not want to return that way because the weather had turned for the worst. They asked if we could take one of their group so they could get their car, and we were happy to help out. They asked three other groups before we arrived and all of them said flat out "No." WTF? Nasty storm coming in and you are gonna leave them out there?