PDA

View Full Version : Product Review GU Energy Gel

Sombeech
08-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Who uses this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00024CU20/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bogloutdcomm-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00024CU20

What flavors are the best? I'm thinking of getting a case. That link shows assorted flavors, are there flavors I should stay away from?

jman
08-31-2011, 03:22 PM
Stay way from the vanilla bean.....so nasty.

Thy taste great and are very sticky. I'm not a marathon runner so I'm not sure if they are good or not.

Sombeech
09-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Strange, I actually thought Vanilla Bean was decent. I'm a vanilla kinda guy. :ne_nau:

erial
09-01-2011, 05:37 PM
I've had good success buying gels at runjunk.com. I like the accel gels (orange flavor), but basically comes to individual likes and dislikes.

Gambel Oak
09-01-2011, 09:48 PM
For me the best deal going is to go to REI and buy 12 or more supplements. At the register they automatically take 20% off and it still applies to your dividend. This means you can experiment / mix and match any brand, product, bulk or individual items, any flavor. If it has a SKU it is counted as an item.

Another way to stretch the dollars if you are going through a lot of gels is to buy the bulk 26 serving of Hammer Gel, refrigerate it, and use a gel flask.

tmartenst
09-07-2011, 12:21 PM
I just bought 24 gels + an energy sampler pack that has 17 of their products for less than $40 on The Clymb. Haven't tried them yet but I will try to post when I do. That sampler pack is decently priced on other sites as well and will give you a flavor mix.

DOSS
09-07-2011, 12:27 PM
I HATE GELS.. I have never been able to get to the point where I can choke them down (but I am picky I guess).. I do like the gummy bear and jelly bean style energy replacements though :)

live2ride
09-07-2011, 01:43 PM
I use GU all the time for gels, I like the Mandrain Orange, the Lime, And Blackberry one. I am not very picky, but the best energy food that I have found hands down in the Honey Stinger Waffles... Easy to eat, taste good and are easy to carry (they are flat and round) I reccomend you try them out a bit. For me i get sick of the super sweet gels sometimes so I am always looking to mix it up.

nelsonccc
09-07-2011, 02:18 PM
I buy the clif bar double shots in cherry and expresso from Allstarhealth.com. $16 for 24 is the cheapest I've found. I buy a couple boxes at a time. I've tried most of the gels and blocks, and drinks and I feel the clif shots pack the biggest boost.

kvklay
09-11-2011, 02:58 PM
I have tried many gels also. Gu gel is not my favorite, I actually prefer the consistency of PowerGel, but the variety pack offered by Gu makes me buy more. PowerGel sells only 1 variety, and you end up with an entire box of the SAME gel. I like Strawberry-Banana PowerGel and all, but 24 of them is a bit much. For the most part, Gu gel is good tasting, and I agree that Espresso Love is the best.

http://bytery.info/nossl/Bt/J.gif

Thomas
09-12-2011, 03:13 PM
I have used several different gels and like the Accel Gel best. My favorite flavors are orange and lime. They are thinner than the other gels, and go down easier. I run with just water, salt pills, accel gel, and ginger chews (helps calm my stomach if I start feeling sick, or I will leave a can of ginger ale in a drop bag at an aid station). Ginger Ale saved me at the Squaw Peak 50. My stomach was freaking out, the last aid station had a small can. A wonderful aid station volunteer pour it over some ice, and about 3 minutes later I was running strong down the trail. Some gels or liquids eliminate or reduce the need for salt, be careful what combos you take because too much salt is just as bad as not enough.

My suggestion is buy lots of different gels, liquids, and chews and find out what works. My only caution is if your doing a race or an epic trip, never try anything new. Even if Lance Armstrong gives you his secret gel recipe :nono:. Nothing ruins a trip faster than the purge. :puke:

Candace66
10-28-2011, 11:14 PM
I love Chocolate Gu! :2thumbs: Except for the caffeine, hehe.

The orange and Tri-berry flavors are okay too. I've never tried Gu's Roctane gels.

I'm not too sure if they're better or worse than other gels, as far as performance goes. The only other gel I've tried are Clif's. I had some fave flavors in their line, too.

tmartenst
10-30-2011, 11:48 PM
I've had the opportunity to try Vanilla Bean, Orange Burst, Mint Chocolate Chip, Espresso Love and some berry Chomps from my earlier purchase and I think they are all pretty good. The Orange might be the worst out of the above 4 GU flavors but I still think it is fine.

tmartenst
11-04-2011, 12:49 AM
BTW, The Clymb has these on sale again for the next few days.

http://www.theclymb.com/home