PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Brief Imlay Conditions report 8/28/11

blueskies
08-31-2011, 12:54 AM
Our group of there did the full Imlay on Sunday 8/28. First full Imlay for all, though I'd been through lower Imlay 4 times prior.

Starting at the West rim TR at 715 we headed to Potato Hollow, dropped into Imlay and went through a lot more work and rope management problems than we expected. Rope bags would have really helped alot. About 3pm we entered the crossroads after 5 hours of Upper Imlay under clear hot skies. We hooked out of 3 potholes, and several potholes are dry that I've never seen dry before. Others are still filled and chilled. One wore a basic full wetsuit, and 2 wore drysuits with t-shirt/shorts, no gloves and were about right.

We hiked the 10 minutes before the last extreme narrows and heard loud thunder under clear overhead skies. Thunder got real bad real fast and we got sprinkles on us for 2 minutes - about what we expected from the general weather patterns of several weeks that seem to threaten but not unload. We casually worked our way out using all daylight and got on the bus at 830.

Then the Narrows flash flooded a few hours later from that same storm that pounded Kolob.

chabidiah
08-31-2011, 08:07 AM
Wow, that was close... Sounds like a blast, was there still those tight slots near the beginning of lower Imlay that were filled with logs/wood debris? We were down there about a month ago and had to climb over and through it. It was crazy, it reminded me of the Star Wars where the were stuck in the trash compactor and had to climb through the debris
good times

ilipichicuma
08-31-2011, 08:13 AM
It was crazy, it reminded me of the Star Wars where the were stuck in the trash compactor and had to climb through the debris

This may be the best comparison I've ever heard. :2thumbs:

nelsonccc
08-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Agreed. That stuff can thick enough that you can almost walk on it.

The Good Cop
08-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Last September my partner (as I watched from above) walked for about 10 feet on it until he broke through in one slot-hole, good times for sure.

Really glad you got out in time!