PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Bluejohn and Horseshoe , August 27th

John Peterson
08-30-2011, 05:48 PM
*No pictures! Apologies, I'll do better next time*

Wife and I met up with a friend at the Horseshoe trailhead late Friday after work. Slept there, then set up a shuttle in the morning for the 'alternate' entrance to the Main Fork of Bluejohn (ref: Shane's website). We were walking by about 8:30, and the temperatures were still pleasant. We hit Bluejohn right before it slots up around 9 or so. There was a little more downclimbing than I expected but the challenge was fun. Pretty wet still in spots, this was Saturday and the NPS employee at the Horseshoe exit (later that day) said that Bluejohn was flowing as recently as the Wednesday prior. Lots of mud and pools to deal with, only a handful of which couldn't be easily maneuvered across. The slot section below the junctions and the main exit was smaller and darker than I'd imagined! Lots of fun though. Then the big rap - bolt city! Two bomber-looking bolts high on the wall (LDC), then a bunch at foot level. We used the ones high-LDC but the rest could probably vanish and nobody would miss them.

The hike out was nice - pretty warm, the high was around 95. The Great Gallery was amazing, really a highlight. I'm also glad I didn't know about the brutal climb up and out to Horseshoe trailhead - it makes the Subway exit hike look flat. Overall 11 hours with three of us, which is about what we expected. We had some inexperience in the party with downclimbing (meat-anchor rappels in a few spots) and slow-going once we got into Horseshoe. On a cooler day with intent to go quickly, I'm confident that 8 hours is reasonable.

Overall a great day, and aside from the NPS employee at Horseshoe, we didn't see a single person from Friday night until we got to Goblin Valley to camp on Saturday night.

Jaxx
08-31-2011, 02:03 PM
Great canyon combo. The exit out of Horseshoe is intense but the Gallery makes it worth it IMO.