PDA

View Full Version : Wedding location suggestions???

Shan
08-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Trying to find a wedding/reception location that is "us." Castle Rocks State Park in Idaho was our #1 choice. But now I'm thinking that this is too far for guests to get to especially after a flight.

Thinking of ideas closer the SLC perhaps - what are good places for a reception/wedding?

We're thinking outdoorsy, but hoping for a pavilion/ranch/lodge already there as renting tents can get pricey. Not wanting to haul every single last item in ourselves too.

About 50 people total, need to be close to hotels for people to return at night.

We want views, so in the mountains or canyon.

If the places serves food that is a bonus. We we'll probably provide a sit down dinner, maybe dancing but still low key style (no cake and punch type - people are traveling from afar!).

Want to serve alcohol.

I was looking at Log Haven and Millcreek in type places. Lovely, but at least $3000 just for booking the place!

Anyone ever go to any summer campground type weddings? Lodges? Cool ranches? Family reunion summer camps to rent? Ski resorts are out.

ibenick
08-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Congrats, Shan! Audra and I were looking for something similar when we were planning our wedding but after the first stop and learning about all the associated costs/pains we scrapped that idea and eloped to Kauai. 15 days, three islands. It was awesome.

uintahiker
08-30-2011, 01:28 PM
The Whitear Recreation Center in Peterson is an idea. It's between Ogden & Morgan. It might be more of a family reunion type place though.

Scott Card
08-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Hmmm, I guess I won't suggest Sundance (probably $$$$) but they have really nice stuff/food/views/alcohol (so I hear :haha:)/etc.

Shan
08-30-2011, 02:02 PM
I've seen some great Sundance wedding photos online. Stunning! I would love to do it all for $5000 or less though. LOL

The Dornan's pavilion and fire pit in the Tetons was an idea since fiance loves the Tetons. Surprisingly reasonable too. Dornan's caters and provides simple decor and servers and beer - PLUS! However, it didn't seem very private plus you got to be spot on with the weather.

Eloping was brought up as well!

uintahiker
08-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Some friends had their gig up here: http://www.rosesachsgardens.com
I don't know what their pricing is though.

savanna3313
08-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Congratulations! If you can do Sundance, it's an awesome location to hold a wedding. It can get as pricey as you want, but I would imagine there are a few budget conscious formats as well. I've been to a couple of weddings there.....one was an all out, no expense spared kind of affair and the other one was paid for by the bride and groom (older couple, second marriage) and it was more informal and I know they didn't have a lot to blow on a wedding, but it was just as much fun as the expensive one. It's all about your surroundings (gorgeous!) and those surrounding you! :2thumbs:

blueeyes
09-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Congrats Shan! There is a reception hall near the golf course at the base of Ogden canyon it use to be called the Edgewood now it is Cobble Creek. http://www.cobblecreekevents.com/index2.php?v=v1#/home/

Or how about The Red Moose Lodge up in Huntsville http://www.theredmooselodge.com/

DOSS
09-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Don't do it!

Shan
09-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Sundance did have reasonable options. I just inquired. The Bearclaw (only Utah mountain top lodge they say) was $1000 to rent and $1000 food/bev min (min does not include alcohol). Fits 60 ppl. It has a cool outdoor deck and inside seating. But additional logistics like renting an SUV to get people all thew way to the top and down, plus hiring EMTs for the entire event makes it OK. Fiance didn't want a resort though. Plus we've never even been to Sundance so it wouldn't make it meaningful to us.

He wants Tetons if we can't do City of Rocks. Dornan's has a reasonable option - $1250 rental plus $2000 min food/bev (includes the alcohol) and they give you: pavilion, fire pad, umbrella heaters, wait staff, bartenders, wedding coordinator, picnic tables, table decor, flowers, vases, cake cutting/boxing, etc. Extra $150 and they'll set up ceremony chairs and an aisle viewing the Tetons. That is really tempting with having pretty much everything there. Although the pavilion is not super private unfortunately.

Cobble Creek is super reasonable! We do want the place to have awesome views and be meaningful to us though.

blueeyes
09-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Tetons! So gorgeous up there.

rockgremlin
09-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Kauai in September...

610garmin
09-02-2011, 03:03 AM
nice, hope you have a great wedding day