PDA

View Full Version : Golden Cathedral

Rob78
08-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Next week we are going to Escalante to hike to the Golden Cathedral. We do alot of canyoneering, but on this trip we will have our two year old. We can't do anything technical with the kids, but we want to go to the Golden Cathedral and rap through the pothole. Our plan is to have half of the group stay with the kids at the bottom of the cathedral and the other half hike to the top of the pothole and rap down. Then the other half can go. I don't know if this can be done with out going through Neon Canyon the only real directions I can find is on the technical route. If you have any advice we would be very greatful.

ewestesen
08-27-2011, 11:04 AM
When we did it in 2005, we hiked up and found a couple of bolts that would allow you to drop in within 100 yds of the Golden Cathedral rap. That might work out well if they're still there and in good shape.

Rob78
08-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the advice.

ratagonia
08-28-2011, 12:37 PM
When we did it in 2005, we hiked up and found a couple of bolts that would allow you to drop in within 100 yds of the Golden Cathedral rap. That might work out well if they're still there and in good shape.

With excellent directions like that, you should have no problem finding the bolts... NOT! :facepalm1:

There are some bolts for "Photographers", though it seems rather silly. The normal 'sport' route is not very hard nor very long.

Tom :moses:

ewestesen
08-28-2011, 07:25 PM
With excellent directions like that, you should have no problem finding the bolts... NOT! :facepalm1:

Ha, thanks. I should have asked someone to confirm or add some more info to that. My memory isn't good enough to give more than a dangerously vague description.

jwurst
08-29-2011, 07:17 AM
I was there in 2006. According to the time stamps on my pictures the loop from Cathedral to Cathedral took about 2 1/2 hours. That was done leisurely with 3 people and included time to put on wetsuits and eat lunch. This time of year you might be able to skip the wetsuits. It is only a short distance from the normal entrance down to the GC rappel. In that distance there is one mandatory rappel into the keeper pothole and two other drops you might rappel or climb. If you try to shortcut from the rim you might not save any time because it would take time to find or build an anchor, because big raps take longer, because you might not hit the right place in the canyon, or because you might discover your rope is too short.

There is plenty of sand and water to keep the kids busy at the bottom and plenty of shade for nap time.

Be ready to either pack in your camp or finish the hike in the dark.

oldno7
08-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Be ready to either pack in your camp or finish the hike in the dark.

Thats the best advice given so far.....

Rob78
08-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Mabey Ill just go the sport route

ratagonia
08-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Mabey Ill just go the sport route

"Mabey"???????????????????????

Oui switchin' to fonetic spillin here, now?

T