PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Helmets are good things

DOSS
08-21-2011, 05:25 PM
So My friend Roger and I decided to race down Middle Canyon today.. unfortunately about 15 minutes into the ride Rogers front tire lost all pressure while we were doing around 35-40 MPH down the hill, I was behind him and saw his front end wobble quick and he went onto the soft shoulder and took flight... he landed head, shoulder, back. When I got back up the hill to him after stopping I knew he was messed up, his helmet had left him and was a few feet away and all he could do was moan through his mouth filled with dirt. I did a quick assessment and forced him to not sit up or move and had the one person that stopped out of about 20 that drove by head down the hill and call an ambulance.

Long story short he is at the U right now after being life-lighted from the Tooele Hospital. Major concussion (he would forget how everything happened not 10 seconds after I would complete telling him) and at least 2 broken vertebrae and bunches of scratches etc...

From the look of his helmet I have a feeling that without it this story would be even worse...

accadacca
08-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Yikes! Sorry to hear that. It happens to a few people every year and it's never fun to be a part of or hear about. Keep us posted and best of luck to Roger.

Garbanzo
08-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Our prayers are with Roger. I hope he recovers soon. I'm glad you're ok and he isn't worse.

DOSS
08-22-2011, 05:49 AM
Thanks guys, looks like he will be having surgery early this AM.:facepalm1:

blueeyes
08-22-2011, 07:20 AM
Keeping him and his family in my thoughts. Let us know how surgery goes.

DOSS
08-22-2011, 10:24 AM
so the surgery got pushed to around 2 this afternoon.. going to go visit tomorrow I think.. He is going to be the man of steel.. they are going to pin from T7 to T12.. he also has a crushed artery.. but his memory is improving still does not remember the accident............

DOSS
08-23-2011, 05:12 AM
Quick update.. The surgery went 2 hours faster than they thought it would, everything went into place well. They pinned from T7 to T12 and he also has a fracture at the base of his skull and a crushed artery. I talked to him last night and he is in great spirits. He has a long recovery ahead of him but things look good.

I don't think he will be able to ride a bike again.. well at least a standard bike so it may be time to start building a recumbent...

blueeyes
08-23-2011, 06:12 AM
Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Felicia
08-23-2011, 06:33 AM
Wishing him a speedy recovery.

X2

accadacca
08-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about him not being able to ride again. Its good to hear that the surgery was smooth.

REDFOX
08-23-2011, 09:02 PM
I had multiple fractures in c3,t3, and t4 back 2002 when I was 32 years old from doing a superman over the handle bars up a Deer Valley. I definitley am lucky to have had the recovery that I have experienced. I still feel the pain and I was told that I would feel it for the rest of my life. Looking back now, it seems like I ride more aggressive now than before the accident. It must be something psychologically in my head that gives me the drive to ride with my own style. I hope that your friend has a speedy recovery and doesn't let this affect the future things that he might want to accomplish. :2thumbs:

Sombeech
08-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Dang, good luck.

DOSS
08-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Looks like he won't be out till next week at the earliest....

zjrog
09-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks folks for well wishes. Always been a big believer in helmets... My background of sorts is that I was a very avid (rabid) cyclist in the 89s and 90. Took a bike on deployments with me when I could... I've slowed over the years but was beginning to ramp again... i had my left knee replaced last November have had had great luck with range of motion. I currently have all the issues Scott describes. Still having memory issues, can't get comfy, have to we a huge bodybrace to stabilize the fused are, as well as the base of my skull I tried to rip off, and to give the artery issue time to heal. I'm not ready to quit riding but for a chnange will pay a little more attention. I'm 48 and it is getting harder to recover. I'll type more as I feel up to it.

ibenick
09-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Welcome to Bogley, Roger. Glad to see you're doing well enough to get out on the interwebz! My two cents: start backpacking! Less speed = less damage. Slow and steady man. Best wishes.

DOSS
09-02-2011, 06:17 AM
Welcome to Bogley, Roger. Glad to see you're doing well enough to get out on the interwebz! My two cents: start backpacking! Less speed = less damage. Slow and steady man. Best wishes.

You don't know how funny this is.. Rog and I had talked about this a few times and we were just waiting until his knee was at full capacity to do such.. Looks like that might be a little ways out again... :cry1:

Rog good to see you on here man, I suggest you spend some time typing up your drug induced stories and posting them here :) :facepalm1:

Sombeech
09-02-2011, 06:51 AM
Good to hear from you and welcome to bogley.

When Mark had his bad crash last year, he couldn't remember a lot of it either. He had to watch the video to see what happened. I don't think I ever made the "uncut" version public, but I kept the video rolling, set my helmet camera on the ground facing him and his struggle to get up. The few that I did show it too quickly criticized me @ "you kept filming??? jeez you've got strange priorities"

But the footage was valuable to Mark so he could see what happened in that memory gap he had lost.

Get better!

Here's Mark's footage.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?41323-Bad-Crash-on-Bear-Claw-Poppy-Trail

zjrog
09-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Can't watch that video yet. All better now I assumefor you friend? The way this year has gone is making me rethink that hiking Scott! Thanksall!

DOSS
09-04-2011, 07:26 AM
You will be fine rog dont worry..hiking is so much safer as long as you dont talk to tacoma too much.... You will get through this bro...I am about to start taking a collection for bike parts to build your recumbent trike..... Thinking rear suspension would be nice

blueeyes
09-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Glad to hear you don't want to quit biking. Welcome to Bogley! Keep us posted on how you are doing.

accadacca
09-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Glad to hear you don't want to quit biking. Welcome to Bogley! Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Ditto. Welcome Rog. Good to hear from ya. Enjoy reading your progress.

zjrog
09-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks again. I have a great desire to get back on a bike. Even if its a recumbent. A lot to be dictated by my back recovery of course. And I feel winter upon me already. Last coupl days of rehab have been tough, but pogresss is being made. I might be a bi fat, but i'n in better shape than many they get through here. I don't think they like me asking, "whats next?", when I know my session is over.

zjrog
09-08-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm beat. Yesterday afternoon the vendor responsible for my brace came to alter it, and took it away. Which lead to lots frustrations yesterday and This morning. The brace was returned just before noon today. SOOOO much better fit. Which lead to a highly compressed OT session and back to back PT sessions. So I was exhausted afterwards.

But I covered lots of distance, managed a lot of time standing, lots of getting up and down from chairs. But the biggie today was STAIRS! I climbed their short stack several ways. I still have some strength to gain, some extra work getting myself dressed. Wife and daughter get me in and out of the brace very well. No way I can get it myself.

While this recovery is seriously different than my knee recovery, at least I'm not dealing with that instability. So I feel much stronger and confident having gone through some of the same exercises just a few months ago.

So I've run the gammut of emotions today. In the end, I'm doing very well as a survivor. Today has been a breakover day no doubt.

Felicia
09-09-2011, 06:28 AM
Great to hear of your progress! Good days are usually followed by a rest day - happy Friday. :-)

zjrog
09-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks. Actually, Friday was nearly as busy and hectic as Thursday was. I go home in the morning!!! Its going to be a rough road, but my wife and daughter have been working with my therapy folks to get me in and out of the brace and how to keep me safe about the house. I'll update as things move forward. I refuse to be a spectator.:2thumbs:

Felicia
09-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Awesome!

zjrog
09-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Home is awesome!!!!

Felicia
09-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Home is awesome!!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

Now rest and don't over-do-it! :2thumbs:

Felicia

blueeyes
09-14-2011, 10:22 AM
:2thumbs: Keep it up!

zjrog
09-16-2011, 04:57 PM
First day of physical therapy yesterday. I was exhausted. And look forward to more as I get my stamina back.

zjrog
09-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Today is a blur. I'm on a cloud and still don't quite believe it. At my appointment, new Xrays were taken and the doc was happy with my progress. She took my TLSO brace off! I do have limits. But not many. I do have to wear the cervical collar for two more months. Which leads to my greatest restriction. No driving until the collar comes off. But I can attempt to return to work Monday if I choose.

Without the brace, I feel remarkably vulnerable. I need to start some core work, and have specific directions from the doc to my Physical Therapist. And I hope I gain enough strength in the back so it will stop trying to cramp up on me...

Color me very happy this evening. I don't know if this is a normal time frame after fusion or if I'm special. I still have a follow up appointment tomorrow with physical therapy group at the hospital. I am certain, thanks to my own PT, they will be pleased.

Its been 5 weeks since the wreck. I've been home for 2 weeks. I'm pleased with the progress I've made in therapy, with a therapist I TRUST. I'm pleased with what I'm doing about the house to help my support team (read that as my wife and daughter!).

I got my bike back this weekend, and it needs some cleanup, and a new front wheel. Not sure when I'll be ready, but I need to find some new wheels for it and move forward as I can, so it will be ready, whenever I am...

blueeyes
09-27-2011, 08:13 PM
I love your positive attitude! It is so important when you are recovering.

Cirrus2000
09-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Somehow I missed this thread over the past few weeks. Found it today in my New Posts, and read back over it. Holy cow - scary stuff!

It sounds like you're making a really good recover, Roger - that's excellent. Keep up the good work, and the good attitude.

I hear you about the slower recovery times as we get older. I'm 46, and sometimes getting better is a heck of a grind. I had a massive knee injury at 26, which required months of physio and permanently impaired function, and I dread to think of how it would have turned out had it happened now... Sounds like you're well on the road, though!

All the best to you - looking forward to updates, keep us posted!! (Oh, and welcome to Bogley... :nod:)

Felicia
09-27-2011, 08:59 PM
I love your positive attitude! It is so important when you are recovering.

X2 :2thumbs::2thumbs:

zjrog
10-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Realized I hadn't updated here in a while. So today is 10 weeks since my wreck. I'm not dwelling on that day as much as thinking about my future. Yes, I have been lucky, and am glad I can walk and use my hands. I know how bad it could have gone.

I must be sick, as I lOVE going to therapy. I treat every session as a workout. I use the time and mileage on the stationary bike towards my winter goals. I've gone ck to work at 7 weeks, and put in 2 days the first two weeks and 3 days this past week. Until I can drive, I will be taking one day a week off for therapy. I hope to have the cervical collar off at the end of November. But that isn't a guarantee. I can't drive until I have it off.

Therapy is going well. I keep getting weights added to my ankles and stronger resistance bands... We started doing work on the back muscles and I got a portable TENS stimulation unit to calm the back muscles down. It is obvious to me, that I will be in therapy for some time. But if this goes as well as my therapy after my knee replacement, I'll be done with therapy well before the average. My therapist's goal for me is to be ready for circuit training in the gym when I'm discharged from therapy. I also have to remember, that this isn't something to rush, and just do what I can as I can as I heal.

I'm putting my bike on the indoor trainer for the winter. I'd like to get 500 miles on it over the winter. But 1000 would be better...

So, I'm doing pretty good. I know where I've been, and have a really good idea where I want to be. I'll try to update this a bit sooner though!!!

blueeyes
10-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Awesome!

No your not sick for loving therapy. It is a challenge and you might as well take it head on. You won't get back to normal if you don't.

Now I think your crazy if you like that TENS unit. I HATE that thing. Hate it.... gives me the willies.

PS. Can't wait to see your new bike!

zjrog
10-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Actually, I kinda like the TENS unit... They usually don't let me touch the controls! Mine is just a handheld...

greyhair biker
11-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Welcome to the crash club! A helmet saved my life a few years ago with the Bogley crew - that and a lot of help from the forum guys:2thumbs: I was able to get back on the bike within a year or so. I still have issues with some physical things but I am SO incredibly thankful that I can even ride still :nod:

zjrog
11-07-2011, 04:04 AM
Folks around are probably tired of hearing me talk of how lucky I feel. I get a "do over" that very few get. I thought it interesting when my doc let take the FLAP brace off, she said I could ride a bike as tolerated, but mountain biking. No barring exercises. Of course as I heal, that should change. But gonzo style tiding will be out. Should try a spin class soon though!

blueeyes
11-07-2011, 05:49 AM
:2thumbs: Glad you were fortunate enough for a do over. Enjoy the spin class.

Felicia
11-07-2011, 06:23 AM
It's nice to read that you are recovering! :-)

zjrog
11-07-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm not having a good day. I haven't really slept in two nights now. And my back is just a mess today. I did something over the weekend to annoy things, but can't for the life of me figure out what it was. What little sleep I have got, I found I can lay on my stomach for a bit. I'm a stomach sleeper, and haven't been able to for MONTHS!!!! Really hard to do when you can't turn your head much.

Cirrus2000
11-07-2011, 04:35 PM
You are indeed fortunate! Heck no, not tired of hearing it. Great that recovery is progressing - keep it up! :2thumbs:

Cirrus2000
11-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Sheesh - that's embarrassing. I posted the previous comments (about good recovery and such) without seeing page two of the thread. The last thing I saw was from the wee hours of the morning, and thinking about taking a spin class. I really didn't mean to play down your discussion of not having a good day, or not getting enough sleep. My apologies. I'm sure that challenges like this will pass, and you'll continue with your recovery!

blueeyes
11-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Don't stress the bad days! They are a part of the process. You have come a long way in a short period. Just look back at what you have accomplished.

greyhair biker
11-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Sleeping for me was the hardest part too...still can't sleep on my side - shoulder wakes me up if I do then aches all day. If I work my arse off during the day then I can sleep through most of the night. When the barometer drops my arm aches & lets me know a storm is coming...shoulder aches...knee throbs...but I'm thankful that I still have mobility enough to be very active. Keep your chin up dude - be strong!

zjrog
11-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Three nights of little sleep. But slept good last night, hoping to have the same tonight. Not everyday can be a great day. I'm allowed to have a bad day now and again. Its what I do with the good days that makes the difference. My therapist made note that I've seen him longer for my back than my knee. The knee recovery made me his "poster boy" for knee replacements. So fittingly, to mark this occasion, he added time and a level to my time on the stationary bike, and upped the weights on my ankle and hand weight exercises.:lol8:

Sombeech
11-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Keep it up man, keep giving us your status. Sometimes telling your story of recovery can be a great help in the recovery process itself.

blueeyes
11-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Okay ya just made me queasy with the knee replacements. Now I am thinking you were just missing your therapist. Really you didn't need to throw yourself off a bike to see him again. I think he would agree. :lol8:

zjrog
11-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Poster Boy reference is because I have more Range of Motion than most get after replacement...:bootyshake: Knee is designed for 150 degrees, I got 142. And I prefer to think he threw rocks all over the road to drum up business...:crazy: Seriously, He is a good therapist. But he didn't seem to be amused when I asked if there was discounts for a third injury...:roll:

Okay ya just made me queasy with the knee replacements. Now I am thinking you were just missing your therapist. Really you didn't need to throw yourself off a bike to see him again. I think he would agree. :lol8:

zjrog
12-03-2011, 08:13 PM
I SERIOUSLY overdid things last weekend. Had a good Thanksgiving meal at my friend Scott's house. Thanks Scott! My son and his wife were up for the rest of the weekend, I helped him as he went through his stuff in the basement. Not much, but enough to get sore. And again the next day helping him get his truck out of the garage. I spent the rest of the weekend recovering.

I went to see my surgeon Tuesday. She was pleased with my physical therapy reports. But it was the Xrays she was interested in. Again, not REAL sure what she was trying to show me, but the gist of things is, I can do almost anything I can tolerate. Except. Nothing high impact, specifically, mountain biking, ATV riding. And running. Those have to wait till at least August, she wants me to heal for a year before doing more than that. And you know what? August isn't that far off. I want to make sure I can do all I want later, so I'll wait and heal. But at least I can get into the gym. Not much weight, so I'll look like a sissy noob for a while. They can ask me why...

Oh yeah, she let me take the collar off too... Neck muscles are stiff and weak. But getting stronger.

I had my daughter snap a couple shots of me wearing the TLSO brace I had to wear at the beginning.
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss253/neonrog/Stuff/TLSO2-1.jpg
Just to remember how far I've come since the end of September. That WAS custom fit to me. I've lost a little weight it seems! (Almost 40 pounds!)

Cirrus2000
12-04-2011, 04:09 AM
Dang - that's a serious brace! Excellent that you can start doing a lot more, and good attitude about being patient with the healing process. Some short term frustration for longer term improvement is worthwhile. Keep it up, dude!

accadacca
12-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Being patient is the hardest part for me after an injury, but it's a must or it ends up taking longer to heal.

zjrog
12-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Like I said, August isn't that far off! Patience was something I learned a bit about last year at this time, with my knee replacement. I'll let you all know how it goes!

blueeyes
12-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Yes patience is the key. Brace looks like way too much fun. Keep up the healing and don't push it.

Sombeech
12-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Dang, that brace looks pretty hardcore. Keep on the healing path.

zjrog
12-22-2011, 09:30 PM
I got 6 CDs worth of images, I just did screen shots and cropped them.
http://s581.photobucket.com/albums/ss253/neonrog/Surgery/

What you will be seeing is the hardware in my back, and a few different views showing the damage to the T 7-10, but the T 9 damage is the easiest to see. And with the hardware, there aren't any screws in the T 9 as it was too damaged to accept screws.

I don't think there is anything here to make anyone squeemish, but I'll apologize ahead of time.

Cirrus2000
12-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Wow - amazing shots. That T9 was busted up. Thanks for posting - very interesting pics.