PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Red Pine Lake- Little Cottonwood Canyon- Aug 2011

Dr. Nebz
08-18-2011, 09:06 PM
I finally made it up to one of my favorite places to go in the Wasatch. The hike up was perfect temperatures and the flowers were out everywhere. A few bugs, but not intolerable. After I started up the Red Pine junction I found myself shooting pictures of a Pika in a small boulder field on the slope. I made a very brisk pace to the Maybird/Red Pine junction. Took a small water break them moved on. Got to the lake shortly after and was amazed how green it all was up there, and how many wildflowers were still blooming. I headed to the south side, and 5th cast had a fish. Nice Cutty's up there. I landed 16 fish today, and one that was easily 16". The hike out was awesome, beautiful light and a nice breeze and more flowers! Nice day shooting photos and being up there again. It is days like this that remind me that what I am looking for is in my own backyard! Love the Wasatch!

reverse_dyno
08-19-2011, 11:08 AM
What were you using at the end of your line? I was up there last week and spent 4 hours trying rooster tails, cast masters, and panther martins with no luck. The lake is so deep that I figured bait would have worked better.

Dr. Nebz
08-19-2011, 11:43 AM
What were you using at the end of your line? I was up there last week and spent 4 hours trying rooster tails, cast masters, and panther martins with no luck. The lake is so deep that I figured bait would have worked better.

I was using my trusty Fly and a Bubble set up. Elk Hair Caddis fly was killing it yesterday.

This is the exact the fly I was using yesterday:

Dr. Nebz
08-19-2011, 07:37 PM
A photo from my trip to Red Pine Lake was picked as the weekly winner for the KSL/Pictureline Photo contest for the month of August. Stoked! Here is the pic:

You can view it on the news at 10:00 PM during the weather segment tonight, and you can see it here at this link: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=901157&nid=461

Voting for the monthly winner begins starting next Friday!

Dr. Nebz
08-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Double post

Dr. Nebz
08-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Here is the weather cast with my photo!

Wasatch
08-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Yup, definitely one of the nicest hikes in the Wasatch.

Dr. Nebz
08-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Yup, definitely one of the nicest hikes in the Wasatch.

Yeah, I have to agree, one of the best walks in the mountians you can take. I did not make it up there last year, I was in the Uinta's too much. Next time I go, I am staying over night. Fishing was so good.

Brian in SLC
08-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Great shots!

Dr. Nebz
08-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Great shots!

Thanks! It was a great day up there, one of the best all summer! :mrgreen:

Dr. Nebz
08-26-2011, 07:41 PM
The voting is up for the for the month of August 2011. My pic from this hike is one of the contenders. Great day up there, and if I win, the photography from that day could go to a great cause.