PDA

View Full Version : Invite Big 'ole Moto BogleyFest on the Paiute Trail-Sept 23-25

nelsonccc
08-03-2011, 09:16 AM
We've been discussing this on another thread and it already looks like we'll have a few coming. We've got more than a month to make sure everyone knows about it and can clear their schedules now. The goal is to finally do a true Bogley Moto event on the Paiute. My group goes once a month in the summer and we've had a few Bogleyites come here and there but this time we're looking for a large turnout!

We'll do a Paiute Trail weekend. Typically we ride Friday, Saturday and return on to Vegas on Sunday but it's all open to discussion. We definitely will want two full days of riding whether it's fri and sat or sat & sun I don't really care.

I'm open to suggestions for routes if anyone has something in particular they want to hit but otherwise I'll just plan for a 110 mile loop into Beaver and a 140 mile loop into Koosharem. We can adjust the trail accordingly for varying levels of ability but I'm pretty sure all of you can handle it.

Typically we camp on BLM land sans toilets and water (there is a stream) south of Circleville but again I'm open to suggestions. The site we normally use will be crowded if we end up with more than 4-5 guys.

So post up, clear your schedule, and lets see how many can make it!

EDIT: Forgot to add that 4 wheelers are welcome too, especially if they are fast. They actually make it so I can rest more often!

accadacca
08-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Putting this on my calendar. Perhaps I'll come down on Thursday night. :ride:

moab mark
08-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Illll be there with a couple of buddies.

nelsonccc
08-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Great. My group will be 2-3 guys that have all been up there before.

Now we need to see if Garbonzo & Fourtycal will come. I'd love to see Garbonzo on some of that stuff up there!

Garbanzo
08-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Ok, now that I'm on the right thread, I'm IN. I'm good for either 2 days, preferably Friday-Saturday. Love the mountain riding! I just hope we do some technical sections. Can't wait!:2thumbs:

moab mark
08-05-2011, 06:54 PM
I am confused thought I posted on here to see if my toy hauler trailer will fit where you usually camp? My buddies and I like nice comfortable beds.:2thumbs: What about riding from town to town and renting some cheap rooms?

Mtnseeker1
08-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Is this a street legal thing only? Dual sport gas to gas station?
I'm a XRR guy in the pricy-cess of making repairs to radiators and putting on a super tanker. Hey it's a good bike with may scratches, I mean brush marks:lol8:
I have know idea about the Paiute trail other than it has to be much cooler temps than the dez.:bandit:
Bike is dirt only right now but would love to hook up with Bogley riders for some trail riding,camping,beer drinking and all that may imply.:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:
Hey count me in and Happy to put faces and bikes to some names.

nelsonccc
08-07-2011, 09:28 AM
I am confused thought I posted on here to see if my toy hauler trailer will fit where you usually camp? My buddies and I like nice comfortable beds.:2thumbs: What about riding from town to town and renting some cheap rooms?

Where we normally camp is a smaller place but it has a stream and big trees. We can certainly camp anywhere and well adjust accordingly to accommodate everyone coming. Just up the road from where we usually camp is a campground.

I wouldn't riding from town to town to sleep. The towns are too close and I would hate to pack more stuff on my bike. We'll be in and out of the towns but only for gas.

nelsonccc
08-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Is this a street legal thing only? Dual sport gas to gas station?
I'm a XRR guy in the pricy-cess of making repairs to radiators and putting on a super tanker. Hey it's a good bike with may scratches, I mean brush marks:lol8:
I have know idea about the Paiute trail other than it has to be much cooler temps than the dez.:bandit:
Bike is dirt only right now but would love to hook up with Bogley riders for some trail riding,camping,beer drinking and all that may imply.:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:
Hey count me in and Happy to put faces and bikes to some names.

I'll be on a 2stroke yz250 that is not licensed. The trails are all dirt with only brief stints on pavement into the towns for gas.

Most of the time we'll be on atv two track. It's typically tight, twisty, and lots of fun.

I would suggest to everyone that is coming to get out and ride. The Paiute is hard and the 120+ mile days can be a killer if you haven't been riding. Especially if you start dropping your bike!

moab mark
08-07-2011, 10:32 AM
If we home base out of Circleville what trails do you suggest we ride each day?

nelsonccc
08-07-2011, 11:32 AM
If we home base out of Circleville what trails do you suggest we ride each day?

First Day we would do the 01 up to the top then the 88,67,&68 into beaver. This section of 45 miles is amazing. The we would do the 05 up out of beaver to the 01 by the reservoir. Then the 01 up to the summit, we typically don't go that far north but we're bound to have people who haven't been up there and it's got great views. Then we'll come back in the 26 &01 to circleville it'll be about 120 miles. One of the best loops in the system.

On the 2nd day well go east over the mtn to antimony (some extremely challenging stuff in there). Then we'll go north to ottercreek. And take the 72 up to the 01. Then 01 to 53, 33, and into koosharem. Then coming out of koosharem we'll do 01 to 89 to 01 to 02 down towards marysvale them well cut south and go back up to the 01 an into circleville. Should be about 140 miles.

That would be my suggestions but I'm open to ideas. We try to avoid dirt roads as much as possible and stick to trail.

Mtnseeker1
08-07-2011, 01:10 PM
So these towns are ok with dirt machines riding in for gas?

moab mark
08-07-2011, 03:40 PM
They have specific roads designated for off road toys to get from the trail to the pump.

moab mark
08-07-2011, 03:42 PM
First Day we would do the 01 up to the top then the 88,67,&68 into beaver. This section of 45 miles is amazing. The we would do the 05 up out of beaver to the 01 by the reservoir. Then the 01 up to the summit, we typically don't go that far north but we're bound to have people who haven't been up there and it's got great views. Then we'll come back in the 26 &01 to circleville it'll be about 120 miles. One of the best loops in the system.

On the 2nd day well go east over the mtn to antimony (some extremely challenging stuff in there). Then we'll go north to ottercreek. And take the 72 up to the 01. Then 01 to 53, 33, and into koosharem. Then coming out of koosharem we'll do 01 to 89 to 01 to 02 down towards marysvale them well cut south and go back up to the 01 an into circleville. Should be about 140 miles.

That would be my suggestions but I'm open to ideas. We try to avoid dirt roads as much as possible and stick to trail.

Sounds great to me.

Mtnseeker1
08-08-2011, 12:50 AM
So nelsonccc,
Is there anything I might need a gps for or do we just ride by the seat of our tanks?:
Creek crossings? I hope.
some photo ops? I hope

Have any maps and standard weather temps up there for that time?
I have seen some beautiful picts of your rides up that way and I am very stoked........
Let me know when your come through ST. George, And I can just follow up to camp.
Or if I can help in any way. Big grills, coolers or anything that might help... Just bring the good beer will ya.

accadacca
08-08-2011, 09:52 AM
I just uncorked my exhaust! Boy is it louder and seems to have added 20% more power and response. :stud:
I also ordered a little larger sprocket for the back to keep me off the clutch on steep climbs and new rubber to put on before this trip. I'll be changing the oil this week and doing my first valve check on this bike. :2thumbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1BxQIRC71k

nelsonccc
08-08-2011, 10:43 AM
So nelsonccc,
Is there anything I might need a gps for or do we just ride by the seat of our tanks?:
Creek crossings? I hope.
some photo ops? I hope

Have any maps and standard weather temps up there for that time?
I have seen some beautiful picts of your rides up that way and I am very stoked........
Let me know when your come through ST. George, And I can just follow up to camp.
Or if I can help in any way. Big grills, coolers or anything that might help... Just bring the good beer will ya.

I can provide GPS tracks of the routes we'll take but it shouldn't be necessary. Just follow the guy in front of you. We always wait at the junctions for the next rider. When we went last month we had a ton of creek crossings. We'll still have a few in September but none that are too deep or sketchy. There are tons of chances to stop for pics. We're pretty laid back.

The weather is nice in September but it can get cold up top. I've been snowed on in August at the top and rained on more times than I can remember. We usually start out in normal riding gear but change to a jacket or sweatshirt if it gets too cold or wet.

Garbanzo
08-08-2011, 11:45 AM
I just uncorked my exhaust! :2thumbs:

I remember when I got my first bike.:lol8:

accadacca
08-08-2011, 12:03 PM
I remember when I got my first bike.:lol8:
You mean the one your riding now? :roflol:

Mtnseeker1
08-08-2011, 02:12 PM
In response to post #17. Thank you just what I was a asking for. Tracks are cool and all but it is the experience that I am after.
Very stoked and looking forward to it unless you all have a trip planned before this one:bandit: you know like as well.

Hey ****it lets ride

by the way put me down for a case of the high octane beer and let me know if you need the money up front. Yes Utah sucks but cali blows and vegas ------well lets just say it gets a wee bit windy/vegas baby.....

Mtnseeker1
08-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Damb acadacca Love the vid. I laffing my ass off only because I fond some info on the interdent and to a hole saw to my XRR and completely ****ed it up but////////// managed to back my spark arrestor back out about 2.5 in then rewelded without to much noise and very little jetting. Hey I'm happy and well, lets just say trying to keep them there tree hunggers happy.
Please bring the un happy camper devise( decible meter) to the ole piute trail riders (bogley) in sept. 011 Just curious what mine might sound like from behind..............:naughty:

Garbanzo
08-08-2011, 07:23 PM
You mean the one your riding now? :roflol:
I knew that was coming!! Being a noob isn't easy. Sit on this bowl of ice cream and tell me what flavor it is.:haha: Smart Ass!

accadacca
08-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Put a few more teeth on my ride last night. Should work a little better on the steeper trails. :stud:

nelsonccc
08-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Put a few more teeth on my ride last night. Should work a little better on the steeper trails. :stud:

I've always run a 49 in the back. I thought that was normal? I've even considered going to a 50, but we do a lot of riding in steep, loose conditions where a smaller sprocket would kill me.

Looks like you're getting ready for the trip! I'm about to place $300 dollars in orders from Rocky, Ebay, and Bike Bandit to fix the transmission....depressing.

accadacca
08-10-2011, 09:58 AM
I'll have 13/48 with this change. It was as low as I could go and keep the stock chain. I think it should be just about right. :ne_nau: I also went with a steel sprocket...no bling for me. :haha:

nelsonccc
08-10-2011, 11:52 AM
I'll have 13/48 with this change. It was as low as I could go and keep the stock chain. I think it should be just about right. :ne_nau: I also went with a steel sprocket...no bling for me. :haha:

Definitely steel! I still don't understand why people insist on running an aluminum sprocket to save a few grams for trail riding. I've had my steel sprocket for over a year now and it still looks new.

Garbanzo
08-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Definitely steel! I still don't understand why people insist on running an aluminum sprocket to save a few grams for trail riding. I've had my steel sprocket for over a year now and it still looks new.
I've had stock steel for 1 1/2 years going on 3k dirt miles. I can't imagine aluminum lasting as long. what the hell do i know, I'm still a noob.:ne_nau:

Mtnseeker1
08-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Just found some maps of the area and had some questions. Trail #68, Is this going to be a down hill ride going into Beaver or a up hill ride after lunch and gas or am I just completely turned around?

Unlike some I only own one bike at it is a heavy MOFO, XR650R with a 6.3 acerbis tank.

Thank God it pulls in first gear very well. It is very tall and very hard to duck paddle with. Kick starting it is another story.

Am I a little nervous? HELL YEAH, Am I going to ride? HELL YEAH.

But I am hoping that #68 is on the way into Beaver all the same.

I'm stoked about this ride and I'm looking forward to the good times however they show themselves.

Sounds like a great adventure.

But don't worry. If I loop it,It will look like it is all under controll. haha.

Sounds like you might just have a crowd on this one nelsonccc. Sounds like 15-20 riders?
But as the time gets closer it might just be 4-5.

So has anybody have any video of # 68 trail?

nelsonccc
08-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Just found some maps of the area and had some questions. Trail #68, Is this going to be a down hill ride going into Beaver or a up hill ride after lunch and gas or am I just completely turned around?

Unlike some I only own one bike at it is a heavy MOFO, XR650R with a 6.3 acerbis tank.

Thank God it pulls in first gear very well. It is very tall and very hard to duck paddle with. Kick starting it is another story.

Am I a little nervous? HELL YEAH, Am I going to ride? HELL YEAH.

But I am hoping that #68 is on the way into Beaver all the same.

I'm stoked about this ride and I'm looking forward to the good times however they show themselves.

Sounds like a great adventure.

But don't worry. If I loop it,It will look like it is all under controll. haha.

Sounds like you might just have a crowd on this one nelsonccc. Sounds like 15-20 riders?
But as the time gets closer it might just be 4-5.

So has anybody have any video of # 68 trail?

The 68 will be downhill going into Beaver (this is typically what we do)but we do this because we think this makes it harder. The switchbacks in there right after the summit are steep and loose! But you'll be fine just rolling in control downhill. NOW......the part you need to worry about is the 05 out of beaver. It looks like road but it's all 2track and there is a 2 mile stretch that is pretty hard with big rock steps and loose marbley type stuff. If you have a strong first gear you'll probably be fine. My struggle is always keeping the 2 stroke spooled up while going up hill in that area. The switchbacks out of circleville are also pretty hairy.....just saying.

The hardest section we'll do is on the loop into koosharem, on the 53. It is by far the hardest section and the area where we see the most wrecks. However if there are people who are uncomfortable with it we'll set up a bypass on the 01. No biggie.

The 2nd hardest section is on the Antimony trail into Antimony between the 01 and Antimony. Lots of rock, and some off camber, loose, steep, sections. I used to always stall out and/or tip over in that section.

FUN!

moab mark
08-15-2011, 05:21 PM
So who's coming at this point? I should have 3 or 4 there.

Mtnseeker1
08-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Count me in.
Looking forward to what sounds like a ride to remember.:stud::stud::stud:

accadacca
08-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Garbanzo and I are in and perhaps a couple other buddies.

nelsonccc
08-15-2011, 11:27 PM
I'll be there as well as a buddy or two. I'd be surprised if we didn't hear from Fourtycal as well.

Garbanzo
08-20-2011, 03:47 PM
I may have blown the top end on my Yami yesterday. Not sure as to how much damage yet, but I'll be getting it fixed (at any cost) prior to the ride. So much for owning a 4 stroke.:angryfire: Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the valve train issues with the Hondas on the other post.:facepalm1:

Mtnseeker1
08-22-2011, 12:32 PM
ouch Garbanzo.:cry1:
Them 4 thumpers are not cheap.
But the bottom end is a real luxury:naughty:

nelsonccc
08-22-2011, 02:06 PM
I may have blown the top end on my Yami yesterday. Not sure as to how much damage yet, but I'll be getting it fixed (at any cost) prior to the ride. So much for owning a 4 stroke.:angryfire: Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the valve train issues with the Hondas on the other post.:facepalm1:
You'd better get it fixed! Just think, if it was a 2 stroke you'd be out 2 hours and $100 to fix. Easy.....

Mtnseeker1
08-23-2011, 11:14 PM
OK
What are we now about 4 weeks out?
I have a neighbor that wants to go but I'm not sure if he is for real.
But I did tell him it was an open invite.
He just picked up a 2 smoker 250 Honda and seems to be very stoked about the riding area.
I know I for one need lots of saddle time that is getting hard to come buy when it is 105* plus in the ol desert.
5 am till 11am is not cutting it.
120+ trails in the high country never = 80 in the morning rides in the heat :lol8::lol8::lol8: At this altitude.

Late September: Is this when the golden Aspen start to pop? In the high country?

Your all going to laugh your asses off when you see some fool show up on a BRP with a super tanker gas tank and exclaims to all that it is all good and it is all about the ride.

But don't put my ass behind the 4 wheelers for safeties sake. Let her rip baby.................
Let us rip it up.

Garbanzo
08-24-2011, 08:31 PM
You'd better get it fixed! Just think, if it was a 2 stroke you'd be out 2 hours and $100 to fix. Easy.....
At this point, I can only agree. Low end grunt is expensive! Dropped it off yesterday and it looks like about a week to 10 days. Hey, that sounds familiar!!! Anyway, I plan on having it up and running in time. If not, I'll borrow a damn bike!!

nelsonccc
08-25-2011, 09:42 AM
At this point, I can only agree. Low end grunt is expensive! Dropped it off yesterday and it looks like about a week to 10 days. Hey, that sounds familiar!!! Anyway, I plan on having it up and running in time. If not, I'll borrow a damn bike!!

You can always borrow one of mine or Jarrod's.

Garbanzo
08-27-2011, 04:25 PM
You can always borrow one of mine or Jarrod's.
It's in the machine shop getting worked on. I should have it in a week. Just in time to get a few break-in rides before the big rides!!:stud:

Mtnseeker1
09-01-2011, 10:26 PM
So Garbanzo, How's the rebuild treating you?

I am hoping well.

You do realize that I am going to be the noob on the bottom of the totem pole-right?

I have been a training hard boys but living in the Mojave means that the 60 to 80 mile small trips can only be done prior to 105* or about noonish

Man I am looking forward to this pushing myself and meeting all.

Is there still some ATV's invovled on this get together?

accadacca
09-03-2011, 09:45 AM
I have ridden my bike since this weekend (July 30th): http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?57778-Fish-Haven-ID-to-Soda-Springs-ID-via-the-Highline-Trail

That's 5 weeks! :eek2: I hope to ride on Monday. I have been slammed at work and most likely wont ride until this trip if I don't get out on Monday. That would be 8 weeks between rides! Bloody hell. :angryfire:

Mtnseeker1
09-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Sorry to here that but work is work accadacca and some of us have none.
Put in another 65 miles in today before it got well over 100* Lost about 1/4 inch of my rear tire (dunlop 606). Very rocky on the Virgin river look out off of Black Rock area south of St. George.(VERY ROCKY).
Can anyone give me a good idea on a tuff desert tire for big bore single? 01 XR650R with a very big tank.
I ate up a sadona in 600 miles and this 606 is all but shoot inside 1300 miles.

I will have to get something new for the Paiute gathering and I am pretty new at this. Any and all help and I will be very greatful.

moab mark
09-03-2011, 06:39 PM
I run one of the DOT approved knobbies. You may give up a little in traction due to the rubber being stiffer but they last quite a bit longer.

YMMV :lol8:

Mark

Garbanzo
09-04-2011, 01:48 PM
So Garbanzo, How's the rebuild treating you?

Well, the parts are here. I should have it back by the end of next week.
It needed a new piston, valves, cam chain and some machine work. The journals were immaculate, so no oil related failures. I guess changing it every other ride is why.
Apparently, while I laid it down (with the engine off), a piece of weld slag made it's way into my exhaust port.
Here is the previous post showing the original issue I had with a dent in my header. I had a local muffler shop try to fix it and, well, they screwed it up.
http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?49561-Fix-a-muffler-hole

That is what caused all of the noise when I started the bike. It turns out that the slag didn't damage anything (other than embed itself into the top of the head. Had I ran my bike much more (even without the slag), I may have seized the piston. That would have been a much bigger bill!!
So, the slag was a blessing of sorts. It's still a big bill, but you can't put a price on the fun I've had and will continue to have. BTW - each Titanium valve is $85.00 and there are 5 of them. OUCH!!:facepalm1: Regardless, I'll be ready for the Paiute!!:haha:

Mtnseeker1
09-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Glad to here that you got off easy:lol8::lol8::lol8:
So what's the difference between Ti-valves verses stock or SS valves?

nelsonccc
09-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Sorry to here that but work is work accadacca and some of us have none.
Put in another 65 miles in today before it got well over 100* Lost about 1/4 inch of my rear tire (dunlop 606). Very rocky on the Virgin river look out off of Black Rock area south of St. George.(VERY ROCKY).
Can anyone give me a good idea on a tuff desert tire for big bore single? 01 XR650R with a very big tank.
I ate up a sadona in 600 miles and this 606 is all but shoot inside 1300 miles.

I will have to get something new for the Paiute gathering and I am pretty new at this. Any and all help and I will be very greatful.

The 606 is a dual sport tire. Are you looking for something similiar? If so I run the Kenda 270's. They are dirt cheap and last about 8 months. On my 2-stroke I run the MX71's. They are the hardiest tire I've found for desert riding amd trust me, I've tried almost all of them. The bridgestone 704's are prety good but not nearly as long lasting as the MX71's.

nelsonccc
09-05-2011, 04:30 PM
I have ridden my bike since this weekend (July 30th): http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?57778-Fish-Haven-ID-to-Soda-Springs-ID-via-the-Highline-Trail

That's 5 weeks! :eek2: I hope to ride on Monday. I have been slammed at work and most likely wont ride until this trip if I don't get out on Monday. That would be 8 weeks between rides! Bloody hell. :angryfire:

I haven't ridden mine since June 24th when I froze the tranny. Hoping to get it all back together this week and ride the next 2 weekends. BUT....I'm not worried, I got mad SKILLZ plus I know the trails!

Garbanzo
09-05-2011, 05:29 PM
BUT....I'm not worried, I got mad SKILLZ :crazycobasa:

Garbanzo
09-05-2011, 05:31 PM
So what's the difference between Ti-valves verses stock or SS valves?

About $20.00 per valve, lighter and make the starting easier. Not sure I believe the starting claim, but at this point I'm going with it.

Reedus
09-05-2011, 05:57 PM
About $20.00 per valve, lighter and make the starting easier. Not sure I believe the starting claim, but at this point I'm going with it.

Titanium valves are high performance valves. They are a few grams lighter than steel, which doesn't seem like it would be much different, but when your turning 10k rpms, the reciprocating mass of titanium vs steel allows the motor to rev faster. Common mistake I see people make when switching over to steel in order to save coin is not replacing the springs with the valves. Steel requires a heavier duty spring to make up for the heavier weight. Without a heavier spring, your steel valves can "float" and come into contact with piston which it translates into mucho no bueno

Reedus
09-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Garbanzo, make sure whoever is putting your top end back together, to use a torque wrench on the cam caps. I cant count how many times I have seen ruined cylinder heads because some tool bag over-torqued the cam cap bolts

Mtnseeker1
09-05-2011, 06:37 PM
+1 on mad skills - +2 on knowing the trails - + 3 on understanding how to put them all back together:lol8::lol8::lol8::lol8:
Good Gosh I hope mine holds together like Hondas are known for:lol8::lol8::lol8::lol8::lol8::lol8::lol8::lol8 ::lol8::lol8::lol8::lol8::lol8::lol8:
But it is a 2001 BRP and it is all bound to happen sometime. Fingures crossed that I do not get the ed-u cation till the heat is on this next summer.:haha:

I meen after all I live next to Warner Valley and prime time is just around the corner......

accadacca
09-05-2011, 06:42 PM
I did get out today. :2thumbs:

I just ordered a wolfman tail bag after getting a flat and forgetting my tube in my gear bag. Doh!!!

BUT...the patch held. :lol8:

Mtnseeker1
09-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Yeh the 606 is the best tire I have found so far but have only had two on this bike and I already pulled the trigger on the Maxxis IT desert for both front and back.
I'll mount just before the ride and see how they handle the rocks.
Kenda mx71 I will note and try this winter unless I get real lucky will this tire that I have never tried before.
DON'T DO THE SADONAS they suck. 8 hrs on the brp and they were a history baby.
I tore knobs off on the sides and the centers wore faster than rain dries in the desert.

Buy the way iffin anyone in the future needs soft gear repairs let me know. I have a really nice upholstery machine and some time on my hands right now. You know like in between rides.

Mtnseeker1
09-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Hey accadacca, Soooooo how she runnin?
Are you nervous? I would for at least 8 hrs.
It's funny just what it takes to get comfortable.
Like staying within walking distance of the truck for the first hr. or two.

Mtnseeker1
09-05-2011, 08:23 PM
So back to the theme of things here. Is anyone bringing a chain saw for camp fire duties?

Garbanzo
09-06-2011, 04:18 AM
Garbanzo, make sure whoever is putting your top end back together, to use a torque wrench on the cam caps. I cant count how many times I have seen ruined cylinder heads because some tool bag over-torqued the cam cap bolts

Thanks for the info. I did stay with the Ti valves. I am aware of the importance of the torque issue. My mechanic works on pro race bikes and does all of his own machine work. I'm very confident in his skills.
Thanks again for the explanation of the difference in valves. Always good to know such things.:2thumbs:

moab mark
09-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Garbanzo,

It's probably to late but several of my buddies have put the ZY cam in instead of the stock one. Seems to really bring the motor to life.

Mark

nelsonccc
09-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Garbanzo,

It's probably to late but several of my buddies have put the ZY cam in instead of the stock one. Seems to really bring the motor to life.

Mark

Trust me...that's the last thing he needs!:lol8:

Garbanzo
09-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Garbanzo,

Mark

I do run the Hotcams (YZ cam). I've had them in for a while. They really did add some power!:nod:

Mtnseeker1
09-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Hot Cams smot cams Must be s small bike thing:twisted:

In the name of getting in some kind of shape I through in only 35 miles today but 80% were red sand woops( upper warner valley) and 20% of pure ****ing up by getting into the rock crawler area and yes I did find about three strawberry's while trying a double 2' ledge. It did not go well:lol8::lol8:
I have never felt sand stone rash while still sliding up hill:ne_nau::ne_nau:
A great day of riding but it let me know just what kind of shape that I am not in.:lol8:
Needless to say my new 6.3 accerbis as well as my shoulder,knee, and for arm has some new style points.(scars).

I am looking forward to this next great ride and meeting all.

nelsonccc
09-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Hot Cams smot cams Must be s small bike thing:twisted:

In the name of getting in some kind of shape I through in only 35 miles today but 80% were red sand woops( upper warner valley) and 20% of pure ****ing up by getting into the rock crawler area and yes I did find about three strawberry's while trying a double 2' ledge. It did not go well:lol8::lol8:
I have never felt sand stone rash while still sliding up hill:ne_nau::ne_nau:
A great day of riding but it let me know just what kind of shape that I am not in.:lol8:
Needless to say my new 6.3 accerbis as well as my shoulder,knee, and for arm has some new style points.(scars).

I am looking forward to this next great ride and meeting all.

Mtb seeker, Garbonzo asked me to see if you would share his tent. Um.....I think he may have a crush on you!

Garbanzo
09-09-2011, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=Mtnseeker1;471279]Hot Cams smot cams Must be s small bike thing:twisted:
[/QUOTE
We will see. My small 450 goes anywhere.

Garbanzo
09-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Mtb seeker, Garbonzo asked me to see if you would share his tent. Um.....I think he may have a crush on you!
Welcome to the mind of nelsonccc. :crazycobasa:

Mtnseeker1
09-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Yeh I wish my bike was a 450 or even a 250 for this ride instead of the tank that mine is.
The truth is if this were a single track invite I would not even try this ride but feel ok about atv trails and I'm sure that I will have my hands full in an area or two.
I'm just envious that my bike is not as light. I'm sure by the end of the day I will be SPENT big time:lol8:.

And yes you can share my tent, It's the same color and size and should be next to nelsonccc's truck:lol8::lol8::lol8::lol8::lol8::lol8::lol8:

Oh and if you think I look just like nelson it is ok just climb right in LOL.

nelsonccc
09-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Spent 7 hours yesterday putting the bike back together. Almost like fun....got everything feeling and working well. Hopefully I can finish today. I documented it well so I can update the bottom end thread.

So.....looks like the majority of us are going to be there Thursday night thru Sunday morning. Is that the case or are some looking for a sat & sun rides? I'm looking into a bigger spot for us to camp at. Any ideas. I'm thinking we'll go farther up the birch creek road to a bigger spot. But there are lots is options. I'll figure something out.

Mtnseeker1
09-11-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm good for thur-maybe even mon. Thinking of taking advantage of some of the new to me trails and staying an extra day.

I have a neighbor that wants to come but is dependent on the sale of his TT 500 1977 so it is just a maybe at this point.

Do you have a people count yet?
Any ATV's with this ride?

Thought I remembered something about a few atv's might just be coming.

nelson I will get ahold of you just before departure time and follow you up to campground if it's ok?

Oh and put me down for a case of the high octane Bud Light. Utah 3.2 sucks.

moab mark
09-11-2011, 04:29 PM
I plan on coming in Thurs night and rolling out sometime Sunday. Looks like probably 4 coming could be more but 4 solid. Unless Nelsoncc finds a different (bigger) location we will probably just park my toyhauler in front of the Circleville Cemetery in the Paiute Trail parking lot there.

Mark

Mtnseeker1
09-11-2011, 09:14 PM
shweet- looks like maybe a bakers doz. or maybe dbl groups:lol8:

Looking at thunder and some seriuos rain for a change in my neighborhood.:hail2thechief:
Warner Valley here I come baby. See if I can't destroy what is left of my 606 rear prior to the maxxis remounts for the high country:twisted::twisted:
Should prove to be a great day in the wet red sand woops and puddle launching.

Had a 70 mile trip yesterday with about 7 miles of beaver dam wash that was so dry so deep and so boulderish that I was a praying for this moister big time:hail2thechief:

Oh, Did I mention I was just a little stoked about getting into the high country?
Hope the Aspen is turning gold in time for this ride.

Mtnseeker1
09-11-2011, 09:44 PM
I would like to thank nelsonccc for the invite to what I believe will be a great outing/ride and would like to thank him up front for the effort he is putting into this ride.
My hats off to you brother and I am looking forward to meeting all and what I think will be a great end of summer ride.
If there is anything I can help out with (other than tent space:fitz:) Please let me know.

fourtycal
09-12-2011, 06:56 PM
I am probably in for drive Friday night, ride Saturday and head home Sunday morning.

nelsonccc
09-12-2011, 09:41 PM
I am probably in for drive Friday night, ride Saturday and head home Sunday morning.
Hooray. Glad you're coming. If that's the case we'll save the beaver loop for saturday. Or your choice. I know you've done it once before and we hit the koosharem loop last time. So let me know what you want to hit on saturday.

Mtnseeker1
09-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Had an epic ride today down here in the desert washes.( Great rain induced).
Very high speed with out standing corners.
I did however manage to destroy the last of my Dunlop 606s as well as my front.
My new tires showed up upon return today and have them mounted and looking good.
Back tire was the normal brat to put on but now onto carb mods.hmmm .

if I jet for say 5000 ft. will it work for both dez. and Beaver country?

Have new tacky tires and a very tacky attitude LOL let's ride baby
Dam I am looking forward to this ride.
Sure hope the aspen are golden like I think this ride will be.

Oh and please put me at the back of the pack with options to move forward. I just have this feeling with the deep lug skinnys.
But all in all let's have a blast.

fourtycal
09-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Hooray. Glad you're coming. If that's the case we'll save the beaver loop for saturday. Or your choice. I know you've done it once before and we hit the koosharem loop last time. So let me know what you want to hit on saturday.

Beaver always sounds good to me.

That loop schooled me last go around and I am ready for another beating this time.

Mtnseeker1
09-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Well boys being new at this game I might just of messed up. I put a 80/100 on the front and she don't look right-(way skinny). Same numbers as my old tires but she looks way skinny with these maxxis tires.
I know I droped some width on the rear from 130 to 120 and it should hook well but the fronts just don't look right with the big tank and all.
Hope these pizza cutters will work out in the rocky stuff.
Should turn well. But I just don't know.
What a friggin noob i am.

Mtnseeker1
09-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Is she running now and ready for the trip?

accadacca
09-15-2011, 05:37 AM
Garbanzo and I are headed down Thursday night to ride Friday and Saturday.

I need to put some new tires on too and a tail bag.

nelsonccc
09-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Is she running now and ready for the trip?

Finished it last night. She started right up and much to the chagrin of my asian neighbors I ran it up and down the street for about 20 minutes. I know to stop after 15-20 minutes 'cause they always call the cops if I'm test riding it in the streets. They've done that to me 3 times in the last 10 years or so, it's probably because when they first moved in their cat kept pooping in my kids sandbox so I set a bunch of big mouse traps near the sand box and I think the cat went home with one stuck to its leg. There we're four that had been set-off the next morning and two were missing. Booyha.

In any case the bike is running perfectly and this weekend I'll break in the piston.

nelsonccc
09-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Garbanzo and I are headed down Thursday night to ride Friday and Saturday.

I need to put some new tires on too and a tail bag.

Great. Jarrod and I will be leaving Vegas around 5 (our time) Thursday night. Should be arriving in Circleville around 11.

Garbanzo
09-16-2011, 03:50 PM
it's probably because when they first moved in their cat kept pooping in my kids sandbox so I set a bunch of big mouse traps near the sand box and I think the cat went home with one stuck to its leg. There we're four that had been set-off the next morning and two were missing.

Not to get away from your mechanic success, but this part is funnier than hell!!:lol8: Anyway, glad to see the hard work paid off. Still waiting on mine. He has most of it put back together. I should have it back first of the week. Damn, I'm going to be sucking wind!!:slobber:

Mtnseeker1
09-16-2011, 11:38 PM
yeh I like the sand traps and am tired of the little buggers making a sand box out of my garden.

I hate in when you are fooling with things this close to a ride.

By the way has anybody been having problems with valve stems lately?

Man I'm so stupid. I should know by now to pump up the new tubes and DBL check them prior to install and remember to use soapy water when an issue arises.

Looking for cords to camp area. May just get in there a little early like tues.
Should work out for fire wood for the weekend if I get a new chain for my chainsaw and remember the axe.

Damb-All these new rebuilbs to be broke in on the trail. So who is bringing the tow straps? LOL Sorry I know bad Karma.

moab mark
09-18-2011, 08:18 PM
What time and where are we meeting Friday morning?

nelsonccc
09-19-2011, 10:32 AM
After looking at a bunch of spots, I think we should camp at Birchcreek campground. The GPS coordinates are 38degrees 10.447'N, 112degrees 21.600'W. It's about 3 miles up the road from our previous camp spot for those of you who have come before. It's a total of 4.3 miles up a well graded dirt road just south of circleville. As you come through circleville just after passing the last farm you'll see a dirt road with a sign that will say BirchCreek. Follow this road up 100 yards or so then turn right after crossing the cattle guard and follow that road up another 4 miles or so to the campground. It's a primitive site with a pit toilet and running water spickets. There are big trees and enough room for all of us to spread out. It's a pretty central location to the two loops we'll do.
Here's a map and street view of the turnoff from hwy 89
Here is a picture of the campsite.

For the rides. On Friday we'll do a 140 mile loop from the campsite, into circleville, then into Antimony, then up the mtn to the 01 and into Koosharem. On the way back we'll come back a different way that will drop us into Kingston and the we'll take a trail along the road back to Circleville. You'll need to be able to do about 60 miles on a tank. We will get gas in Antimony and Koosharem. The route is long and quite hard in a few spots but not too bad. There are lots of spots where the trail will cross dirt roads so if a member of the party is struggling there are dirt road alternate routes instead of the trail.

On Saturday we'll do a Beaver loop. It's a 120 miles. We'll come up out of circleville, up the switchbacks, and down a 33 mile stretch of trail (one of the longest true trail section on the paiute) into Beaver. Then we'll get gas in Beaver then we'll go north out of beaver and come back up to the 01 then north to the 26 and then back to circleville. Again we'll need to do about 60 miles per tank. This loop, though shorter, is certainly the premier loop. In my opinion it is one of the best loops on the Paiute. Trust me, it'll be fun. Because it's a lot more trail than usual it'll kick your ass.

I can provide GPS tracks for both loops for those of you interested. I'll also have 3-4 maps and trail numbers on a printout for everybody to follow in case their is a separation.

While I usually carry my tools and extra tubes I would suggest that due to the remoteness and length of the loops that everyone be self sufficient with your own tools, tubes, patch kits, gas, etc..

I'm looking forward to the trip and I think we'll have a lot of fun.

nelsonccc
09-19-2011, 10:38 AM
What time and where are we meeting Friday morning?

If there are people coming who are not camping with the main group then we can set-up meet times. I know for a fact that Tmobile and AT&T do not work int the circleville area. I would suggest that for Friday we meet at the corner of 400 south and hwy 89 in south circleville around 9:30ish. Then on Saturday we'll plan on the same but in that case if you camp at the cemetary we'll roll right by ya and admire your cushy set-up!

accadacca
09-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Getting stoked... :cool2:

moab mark
09-19-2011, 05:16 PM
See you Friday at 9:30 in Circleville.

Mtnseeker1
09-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Shaaweet, And thank you in advance nelson.
See you all in camp or on the 9:30 meet up.
This is just the ride I've been looking for since feb. when I got my bike. That will get you thinking.

Sounds very spirited with just about everything a guy could ask for in a ride this time of year.

Looking forward to riding with and meeting all.

accadacca
09-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Got my tail bag mounted. Fresh rubber tomorrow...giddy up!

Tube, irons, patch kit, pump, co2, tool bag, first aid kit, spark plug...and room to spare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiyPdJRLAI8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae91/accadacca1/13271ea0.jpg

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae91/accadacca1/73b7556d.jpg

nelsonccc
09-20-2011, 01:20 PM
See you Friday at 9:30 in Circleville.

I feel shunned.

accadacca
09-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Next up. New tread...

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae91/accadacca1/2dba341c.jpg

Garbanzo
09-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Still no bike. Promised to be done Thursday, but after a month, I'm not holding my breath.:angryfire:

accadacca
09-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Prepped and ready. Still working on a slight carb adjustment after my exhaust mods. Is it Thursday yet? :popcorn:

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae91/accadacca1/5fe1df3d.jpg

moab mark
09-20-2011, 08:01 PM
I feel shunned.

Have had a few problems, one of the guys cannot leave until late on Thursday and one of the guys that is coming Dad owns a motel in Beaver. So we are going to stay in Beaver Thursday night and drive over early Friday. Well be ready to rock at 9 30.

nelsonccc
09-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Still no bike. Promised to be done Thursday, but after a month, I'm not holding my breath.:angryfire:

If you're going to puss out just say so.....

I took mine out Saturday and only got 20 miles before my water pump gasket gave out. I thought it might since I ripped it during install but I thought my patch job was pretty good. Guess not. Tried liquid gasket last night. Still leaking. Luckily to be safe I ordered another that shows up tomorrow! I'll weld the thing closed if I have to. I'm riding Friday!

Mtnseeker1
09-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Man accadacca that KTM sure looks sweet. Maybe you ought just bring the Beemer:lol8:

Sorry to hear the rebuild might not be done in time Garbonza:cry1: Here's to hoping it all works out for you:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Man what's up with these tubes these days? Been fighting new tubes that are junk (Bridgestone) I meen really say it aint so.
I wanted to get out tuesday but that did'nt happen:angryfire:

Looks like early thurs for me.

nelsonccc if your heading out in the morn thurs. give me a jingle tonight and I'll meet you at like the truck stop just this way of the port of entry AZ. to UT. 435-six 5 six-3 7 three three ask for Mark. This should make it an easy on off the ole I-15 and get rolling kinda thing. It is I believe the exit just past the new airport turn off. There is a gas station just above that point of getting back on the freeway. Easy to see. It is the exit just prior to the first ST. George exit from your direction.

One quick revision- My neighbor will not be going. So my numbers went back to just a me.
I can not tell you the mood that this puts me in. Let's just say he is not very social and very neg.
But before I bring down the wrath of Karma on my ass I will say he's allright and fighting a battle of his own.
Great guy when he is sober.

nelsonccc
09-21-2011, 01:45 PM
nelsonccc if your heading out in the morn thurs. give me a jingle tonight and I'll meet you at like the truck stop just this way of the port of entry AZ. to UT. 435-six 5 six-3 7 three three ask for Mark. This should make it an easy on off the ole I-15 and get rolling kinda thing. It is I believe the exit just past the new airport turn off. There is a gas station just above that point of getting back on the freeway. Easy to see. It is the exit just prior to the first ST. George exit from your direction.

One quick revision- My neighbor will not be going. So my numbers went back to just a me.
I can not tell you the mood that this puts me in. Let's just say he is not very social and very neg.
But before I bring down the wrath of Karma on my ass I will say he's allright and fighting a battle of his own.
Great guy when he is sober.
We won't be leaving Vegas till Thursday around 5. I anticipate arriving at the campground around 10:30 Thursday night.

accadacca
09-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Garbanzo and I wont be rolling in until late too. I hope I can get outta town at a decent hour. I need to attend my boys first soccer game after work to keep the light green for this trip... :cool2:

Garbanzo booked us a room at Butch Cassidy's in Circleville. :2thumbs:

nelsonccc
09-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Pussies. What's the rate? I might be interested as well......especially if they have pay per view porn.
It's beginning to look like the actual group that is camping is smaller so maybe we'll just go back to camping at our usual spot? I think the only ones camping at this point are me & jarrod, mtn seeker, and fourtycal when he shows up friday night.

accadacca
09-21-2011, 04:24 PM
I believe Garbanzo said it was 70-80 a night. College football for me in the evenings... :cool2:

http://www.butchcassidyhideout.com

accadacca
09-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Just got off the phone with Keith (fourtycal). He'll be down there Friday night. :2thumbs:

Garbanzo
09-21-2011, 07:37 PM
If you're going to puss out just say so.....
You sure like to talk about your body parts alot.:nono: My bike is ready to go. I'll be there. My mech told me he'd throw a desert tank and smaller gear on his race bike if mine wasn't ready.
As luck would have it, they fired it right up and cycled the engine a few time. They said it runs like a raped ape. Can't wait!!

Garbanzo
09-21-2011, 07:40 PM
What's the rate? I might be interested as well......

Really. Hmm. DEAD TO YOU!!:cry1:

Mtnseeker1
09-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Well Well WELL. Let's break that thing in better than a Moab pipe fitters reunion:lol8::lol8::lol8:

Glad to hear. You know one less ape to rape and all.

See ya on the wide roads.

So just what is the top end on a well built 450 thumper? MPH not cost.

My big red pig got up to 92.3 so says my GPS but I was scared shitless and backed her off. Still have know idea just what she is willing to do .
Faster than I want to go on dirt roads that's for sure.
But you gotta love that all balls four stroke attitude.
does not seem to matter if your in 2nd or 5th just pin it and it all is the same.

Garbanzo
09-21-2011, 08:09 PM
So just what is the top end on a well built 450 thumper? MPH not cost.

I run stock gearing, and it will peg close to 90mph.

Mtnseeker1
09-21-2011, 08:40 PM
yeh baby and i'm sure will leave the line alot faster than mine.
Shweeet.

The weight is only 2/3 of mine I bet.

Mtnseeker1
09-21-2011, 09:02 PM
See you all in camp or on the trail or 400 so hwy 89 9:30am fri morn.
Be cool and watch out for the dip sh*ts on the way to and fro.

Finally Mtnseeker1:naughty:

nelsonccc
09-22-2011, 08:48 AM
Really. Hmm. DEAD TO YOU!!:cry1:

I've been there and I wouldn't pay $70 a night no way. Part of the experience for me is the sitting around the campfire BS'ing. So no room for me, I'll take my frigidly cold shower in the creek, sleep in the tent in 34 degree weather and cook my own meals over a fire. Booyha.

Accadacca and I are going to have a Garbonzo sandwich! I got dibs on the big spoon.

moab mark
09-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Our final count is 4. See ya at 9:30. Should be fun.

jinx
09-22-2011, 11:44 AM
who does this mtnseeker dude think he is??? :crazy:

Sombeech
09-24-2011, 09:32 PM

Thrown under the bus :roflol:

Mtnseeker1
11-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Jinx- who does this mtnseeker dude think he is??:crazy:

Like you will never know dude:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:: twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

I do a have bicycle for sale that will pack all your shit if interested. Gary Fisher with a 19" swing arm addition with some seriuos panniers packing options. Set up for the total bike bum/hippy want to be and can pack a couch if so interested. Blends margaritas at same time with full rain cover that is automatic on the slightest drop of rain.
Not real fast or single track freindly but it is a Bicycle all the same.
If this sounds like something that trips ypour trigger then e-mail me at (eat- my -shorts -bitch.com). looking forward to recieving my first grand installment.

But seriously I just like to **** with others sometimes and would be glad to meet you Jinx.
I have always enjoyed the great outdoors in all that she has to offer and always will.

And to your Question? It is not a matter of who I think I am but who I really am. And yes very crazy indeed. Hope this helps.

nelsonccc
11-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Jinx- who does this mtnseeker dude think he is??:crazy:

Like you will never know dude:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:: twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

I do a have bicycle for sale that will pack all your shit if interested. Gary Fisher with a 19" swing arm addition with some seriuos panniers packing options. Set up for the total bike bum/hippy want to be and can pack a couch if so interested. Blends margaritas at same time with full rain cover that is automatic on the slightest drop of rain.
Not real fast or single track freindly but it is a Bicycle all the same.
If this sounds like something that trips ypour trigger then e-mail me at (eat- my -shorts -bitch.com). looking forward to recieving my first grand installment.

But seriously I just like to **** with others sometimes and would be glad to meet you Jinx.
I have always enjoyed the great outdoors in all that she has to offer and always will.

And to your Question? It is not a matter of who I think I am but who I really am. And yes very crazy indeed. Hope this helps.

OH SNAP!

Mtnseeker1
06-26-2013, 12:56 AM
IT's time again right?

Mtnseeker1
06-29-2013, 10:23 PM
Went up today to Widtsoe to help a friend with some cabin building and field fence.
Even he thinks that it is not all melted off the top on the north slope. Up top:ne_nau: