Iceaxe
08-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Gotta love it. :2thumbs:

BLUEberryBOB
08-01-2011, 01:00 PM
:cry1:

rockgremlin
08-01-2011, 02:30 PM
What is considered unlawful today may be legal tomorrow.

Other cases include alcohol in the 1920's, medical marijuana, slavery, women's suffrage, etc...

We live in a f***ed up society.

Scott Card
08-01-2011, 03:54 PM
I am so confused by the responses..... BBBob are you sad the speed limit is 80 somewhere? DeathCricket say wha.....? What in the world am I missing?

I drove in a couple of 80 mph zones this morning going to and from Fillmore. I enjoyed it. Felt good to be legal. :lol8:

accadacca
08-01-2011, 05:53 PM
I believe there are 3 of those or at least 2 between SLC and St. George. They are each 18 miles long and boy does it help rack up the miles quickly. :2thumbs:

It's Utah's "testing or research" area. :lol8:

Iceaxe
08-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Yup... Utahahaha has two sections of I-15 posted at 80 mph and I understand that Texas has a couple sections. I really didn't notice much difference in traffic speed.... Everyone already runs 80 and I didn't notice much difference between posted 75 or 80.... the dumbass driving 65 and talking on a cell phone is still camped in the fast lane...

Anyhoo.... it was proven a long time ago that speed does not cause accidents.... its differential in speed between the slowest drivers and fastest drivers that cause accidents...

but is was fun to see 80 mph speed limit signs as I learned to drive in the dark ages of 55 mph and I lived by my radar detector.

And one last observation form this past weekend... St. George has the worst drivers in Utah.... hands down.... probably because most are old and well insured, because they sure as hell don't bother to watch where they are going.

:cool2:

torange
08-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Gotta love it. :2thumbs:

Yup... Utahahaha has two sections of I-15 posted at 80 mph and I understand that Texas has a couple sections. I really didn't notice much difference in traffic speed.... Everyone already runs 80 and I didn't notice much difference between posted 75 or 80.... the dumbass driving 65 and talking on a cell phone is still camped in the fast lane...

Anyhoo.... it was proven a long time ago that speed does not cause accidents.... its differential in speed between the slowest drivers and fastest drivers that cause accidents...

but is was fun to see 80 mph speed limit signs as I learned to drive in the dark ages of 55 mph and I lived by my radar detector.

And one last observation form this past weekend... St. George has the worst drivers in Utah.... hands down.... probably because most are old and well insured, because they sure as hell don't bother to watch where they are going.

Pretty cool, the ability to travel marginally faster!! But I agree, what busness do slow pokes think they have in the fast land. It is abhorent!

akavalun
08-02-2011, 06:39 AM
That's right, burn that fuel even faster so the prices go up. Hell, lets make that speed limit 90 or 100, that way we can get to these canyons even faster, hike them as quickly as possible, and get back in our cars and race home. I'm pretty sure that if the speed limit was 150, or 50, there would be far less accidents at 50. There is an increased differential in the 80 zones because plenty of folks still drive the same speed they always did. So to say there is no correlation with accidents and faster driving is pretty ignorant. Sorry Ice, but I don't share your sentiment. I'll be the one driving 65, and enjoying the scenery.......

DOSS
08-02-2011, 07:32 AM
That's right, burn that fuel even faster so the prices go up. Hell, lets make that speed limit 90 or 100, that way we can get to these canyons even faster, hike them as quickly as possible, and get back in our cars and race home. I'm pretty sure that if the speed limit was 150, or 50, there would be far less accidents at 50. There is an increased differential in the 80 zones because plenty of folks still drive the same speed they always did. So to say there is no correlation with accidents and faster driving is pretty ignorant. Sorry Ice, but I don't share your sentiment. I'll be the one driving 65, and enjoying the scenery.......

As was stated before the accident correlation isn't to do with the speed it has to do with speed differentials.. IE people doing the 80MPH speed limit that come around a curve only to find some asshatt doing 65 in front of them impeding traffic. they hit their brakes and the guy behind them does the same and well someone pulls a stupid and goes off the road.

Since you have chosen the way of the slow please do not get indignant when I fly past you at 90 and flip you off because you were impeding traffic and causing accidents because of it. You may not share this sentiment but you do happen to be one of the issues :). Oh and your argument of 150 or 50 is a falatious argument and you should try to stick to real world numbers if you want to maintain a credible argument :cool2:

akavalun
08-02-2011, 07:54 AM
You treat 80 MPH like its your minimum speed. You realize it's called a speed LIMIT? That means that the posted is speed is the fastest you are allowed to go by law and its perfectly acceptable for anyone to go LESS than 80 MPH. I love how you refer to anyone doing 65 as an asshat. You're resort to name calling only proves your immaturity. Oh, and your other point about someone hitting their brakes, and the guy behind him doing the same, causing an accident.....obviously you fast drivers follow to close otherwise you would have sufficient room to slow down and not rear end someone. Also, you claim that I cause accidents because I drive slower.....who is the one who can't negotiate traffic at 90 MPH? My argument does hold value, would there be more accidents if people drove 150 MPH or 50 MPH? It's a simple answer. Point being is that an increase is speed will absolutely cause more accidents. And obviously you didn't read my post thoroughly, because I did point out that an increase to 80 MPH will create a larger differential, since there are plenty of people who will still drive 65. Increase the higher number, lower number stays the same = increased differential!

Iceaxe
08-02-2011, 08:08 AM
That's right, burn that fuel even faster so the prices go up.

If I was worried about the cost of gas I won't drive a big truck with 400 hp.

I have no problem if you desire to travel under the posted limit, but please respect the other traffic laws, one of which states "Slower traffic move to the right".

Point being is that an increase is speed will absolutely cause more accidents.

Do you have any proof to back that up? Because every highway study I have ever seen says you are wrong.

Anyhoo.... The sections posted at 80 mph are no longer experimental. UDOT has determined there is no downside to the 80 mph speed limit.

Utah DOT: No Downside to 80 MPH Speed Limit Increase

Speed limit increase to 80 MPH on Interstate 15 in Utah results in no change in highway fatalities.

The Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) announced last week that the experimental increase in the state's maximum speed limit to 80 MPH has been a success in terms of safety. UDOT Deputy Director Carlos Braceras testified before the state Interim Committee on Transportation that that there has been no increase in accidents as a result of the higher number printed on the speed limit signs on certain stretches of Interstate 15.

In 2008, the state legislature granted UDOT permission to test higher limits on rural sections of the road. Using crash histories, engineering studies, UDOT carefully selected the areas that it believed would best handle the increased limit. The department then conducted before and after surveys of speeds and traffic volume on the three sections where the limit was changed. Although the signs permitted another 5 MPH in speed, the results showed that drivers did not 'take advantage' of the new limit to drive significantly faster.

"Overall we saw speeds increase between two and three miles per hour," Braceras explained. "The speed differentials did increase... We saw no change in accident history, which with how careful we were in choosing this location it wasn't surprising to us, but it was very good news to see that... The number of vehicles exceeding the speed limit decreased 20 percent."

With the speed limit posted at 75 MPH, 85th percentile speeds measured between 81 and 85 MPH -- barely different from the 83 to 85 MPH speeds under the higher 80 MPH limit. The 85th percentile speed represents the speed at which 85 percent of free-flowing traffic feels is the safest. Engineers have determined that the greatest safety can be achieved when speed limits match the 85th percentile speed. State Representative James Dunnigan (R-Taylorsville) championed the results as evidence that the law allowing a higher limit has been a success.

"One of the concerns when we presented this bill a couple of sessions ago was that people would increase speeds to 90 or 95 and there would be tremendous carnage on the road," Dunnigan said. "So even though it has only been a year, that has not happened. And really all that's happened is that people haven't changed their speed much -- a little bit -- but they're doing so legally... So by increasing the speed limit to 80, we just made them legal."

National Motorists Association researcher John Carr reviewed the data and suggested that coverage of speed limit increases always includes dire predictions of increased carnage. He pointed to an accident on the 75 MPH portion of I-15 just after the limit was raised on a nearby stretch as an example of skewed perspectives on the issue.

"It could have been anywhere," Carr wrote. "Inside the 80 MPH zone it would have been taken as proof that the speed limit increase was recklessly endangering drivers. In the 75 zone it was not taken as an indictment of the low speed limit. That is how people think about speed limits. Ignore what they don't want to believe, panic over what they do want to believe."

UDOT is pleased with the results and will continue to watch the performance of I-15 under the higher limits.

"We believe this warrants further examination in the long term," Braceras said. "We take safety very seriously... This isn't something we consider to be a trivial undertaking -- just go up and change the speed limit sign... We may want to after we've had a chance to evaluate this a little longer and we feel that we have something with more statistical significance it may be appropriate at that time to expand it to other sections of other highways."

akavalun
08-02-2011, 08:15 AM
I am very respectful of those who drive much faster than I do. I stay in the right lane 98% of the time, and when I have to pass someone, I speed up to 80 as to not impede traffic. If you reread the responses, it was DOSS who has been disrespectful and mistreating of other drives...IE asshat....flipping someone off...indignent.....

Iceaxe
08-02-2011, 08:17 AM
I stay in the right lane 98% of the time, and when I have to pass someone, I speed up to 80 as to not impede traffic.

:2thumbs:

DOSS
08-02-2011, 08:21 AM
You treat 80 MPH like its your minimum speed. You realize it's called a speed LIMIT? That means that the posted is speed is the fastest you are allowed to go by law and its perfectly acceptable for anyone to go LESS than 80 MPH. I love how you refer to anyone doing 65 as an asshat. You're resort to name calling only proves your immaturity. Oh, and your other point about someone hitting their brakes, and the guy behind him doing the same, causing an accident.....obviously you fast drivers follow to close otherwise you would have sufficient room to slow down and not rear end someone. Also, you claim that I cause accidents because I drive slower.....who is the one who can't negotiate traffic at 90 MPH? My argument does hold value, would there be more accidents if people drove 150 MPH or 50 MPH? It's a simple answer. Point being is that an increase is speed will absolutely cause more accidents. And obviously you didn't read my post thoroughly, because I did point out that an increase to 80 MPH will create a larger differential, since there are plenty of people who will still drive 65. Increase the higher number, lower number stays the same = increased differential!

yes I do realize it is called a speed limit.. thank you for reiterating that. Now to say that all people who drive fast also tailgate is without proof as I do not tailgate and I do drive fast -- I also brake-check tailgaters --- Your 150 MPH number is an exaggeration as most of the vehicles on the road could not drive 150 if they wanted to going down a hill so it does not hold water as part of a valid argument. Part of driving is to go with the flow of traffic, Cops will ticket you for impeding traffic just as easily as if you were speeding, doing 65 in a zone that is slated for 80 is intentionally causing a increased differential in the speeds of vehicles in that area meaning that you who choose not to do the speed limit and impede traffic as the minority are causing the issue. I believe that people who intentionally cause issues and don't think that they are causing issues are asshatts, if you know that you are causing the issue and just don't care you are an asshole (points at self). not the people who are doing the posted speed limit.. (yes I know my driving 90 doesn't help but it is making up for all of the slow people :fitz: )

akavalun
08-02-2011, 08:53 AM
So one vehicle is doing 90, and I'm doing 65....an elk pops out on to the road, who has the greater chance of avoiding the accident? Its not rocket science. I'll go get a great sunset shot against the mountains..you'll be getting extracted from your vehicle with the jaws of life.....If that isn't a strong enough
analogy....

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/wcm/road_safety/erso/knowledge/Content/20_speed/speed_and_accident_risk.htm

I'm not the one who said everyone tailgates, you started the tailgating issue, claiming that its the fast drivers that hit their brakes and cause an accident because they can't react in time. I simply reused driving too close in my response.

Yes, I realize the 150-50 comparison is an exaggeration, but it proves the point that faster driving will create more accidents. Not inherently just because its faster, but also because it will create a bigger differential.

DOSS
08-02-2011, 09:04 AM
So one vehicle is doing 90, and I'm doing 65....an elk pops out on to the road, who has the greater chance of avoiding the accident? Its not rocket science. I'll go get a great sunset shot against the mountains..you'll be getting extracted from your vehicle with the jaws of life.....If that isn't a strong enough
analogy....

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/wcm/road_safety/erso/knowledge/Content/20_speed/speed_and_accident_risk.htm

Yes, I realize the 150-50 comparison is an exaggeration, but it proves the point that faster driving will create more accidents. Not inherently just because its faster, but also because it will create a bigger differential.

Just to be correct I said someone pulled a stupid.. but the majority of those in my description just had to hit the brakes and slow down due to someone not doing the speed limit.. the last person could have just been reading a book and driving and didn't see the changes around the curve until it was too late and caused the accident even though they were not tailgating.. so in fact you did bring in tailgating as that is probably your perception of the situation :)...

150 -50 does not prove that faster creates more accidents but only that the bigger the speed differential the larger the likelihood of an accident and all the more reason for everyone to go the same speed and not have someone just choose to go 15 MPH slower than everyone else.

While you are taking a picture of the sunset instead of driving even though I am doing 90 I am actually paying attention to the fact that I am driving and not the sunset and thus I miss the elk that you run into because of your perty sunset :).... these kind of arguments work both ways..

Yes speed causes exponential damage when you do get into an accident but if everyone is going with the flow of traffic you do not have the traffic speed differential to create more accidents. as most people actually do the speed limit going under the speed limit is a hazard to other people as the person going under the speed limit creates a speed differential and increases the likelihood of an accident :)

akavalun
08-02-2011, 09:16 AM
If you reread my post, I didn't say one person is driving 150 and another is driving 50, the comparison was between two separate scenarios with different speed limits.
The elk scenario is a completely legit analogy...you're response of me getting into an accident because of watching a sunset was ridiculous. I didn't say I was taking a picture while driving.

Wow, you are something special.......This will just be an endless circle....I'm out...

DOSS
08-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Wow, man, you are completely ridiculous with your arguments.....this will just be an endless circle......I'm finished.

Please explain your assertion.. you assumed something.. I corrected you.. I have seen many people reading books and taking pictures of the sunset as they are driving.. these would be just as valid of reasons to hit an elk or run into the rear end of someone as would tailgating. you have yet to prove or explane away the fact that you choosing to go 15 MPH slower than the rest of traffic creating a speed differential (that everyone in this thread has agreed to as the cause of more accidents than speed alone) is acceptable?

akavalun
08-02-2011, 09:32 AM
The analogy of the elk was a simple scenario relating to speed and the likelihood of getting into an accident. You can't bring in variables of reading a book, or watching a sunset into the equation. This thread wasn't relating to any of those variables. I assumed nothing, I simply asked a question didn't I? I have my answer you have yours. You are simply introducing variables to make your argument stronger, great science you're exemplifying here. Is it against the law for me to drive 65 in an 80? NO Is it against the law for you to drive 90 in an 80? YES So who is the one creating the unlawful, unsafe differential....ahem....that would be you.

Iceaxe
08-02-2011, 09:41 AM
The analogy of the elk was a simple scenario relating to speed and the likelihood of getting into an accident.

We are talking Interstates here.... not all roads.... and I'm all my years of driving I don't ever remember seeing an elk on the interstate. When I asked for facts to support your cause I was hoping for actual scientific studies, because the scientific studies I have seen do not support your cause. The one I have read state speed differential is more dangerous than speed alone. In other words, if everyone is driving fast and you are driving slow you are much more likely to cause an accident than an elk on the interstate.

akavalun
08-02-2011, 09:49 AM
I've seen many elk along the interstates. There are elk hit every year near the intersection of I-15 and I-70. Ok, how about deer then, doesn't have to be an elk. At 80 or 90 mph anything of reasonable size is extremely hazardous to hit. Scientific studies....did you not read the link I posted....?

DOSS
08-02-2011, 09:57 AM
The analogy of the elk was a simple scenario relating to speed and the likelihood of getting into an accident. You can't bring in variables of reading a book, or watching a sunset into the equation. This thread wasn't relating to any of those variables. I assumed nothing, I simply asked a question didn't I? I have my answer you have yours. You are simply introducing variables to make your argument stronger, great science you're exemplifying here. Is it against the law for me to drive 65 in an 80? NO Is it against the law for you to drive 90 in an 80? YES So who is the one creating the unlawful, unsafe differential....ahem....that would be you.

I brought in variables to respond to the one that you brought in and that was tailgating. If you don't want extra variables to contend with please don't bring any in, such as your elk varable, you assumed I said something about tailgating when I did not.

We are also not talking about what is legal and what is not legal.. that is yet another variable you are bringing in to support your case.

If I am driving the speed limit 80 and so is 87% of the population on the road and then you come on the road and drive 65 MPH you are creating the speed differential and thus the accident waiting to happen as we all agree that speed differential is a greater cause of accidents than speed alone.

also when determining the difference in a speed differential you would normally take the Mean of the population, in this case the mean of the population is 80 MPH and determine the difference between it and the other variables. The differance between 80 and 65 = 15 the difference in 80 and 90 = 10. with that you can easily state that 15 > 10 and 15 is a larger differential :haha:

akavalun
08-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Wow, ridiculous arguments! As I said earlier, I'm am now finished with this. Go speed all you want, get your tickets, break the law, increase the vehicle/wildlife collisions....have fun!

DOSS
08-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Wow, ridiculous arguments! As I said earlier, I'm am now finished with this. Go speed all you want, get your tickets, break the law, increase the vehicle/wildlife collisions....have fun!

stefan
08-02-2011, 10:46 AM
george carlin: "Have you ever noticed that everyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and everyone driving faster than you is an f-n maniac"

(he told that one in salt lake awhile back)

it's a strange expectation that everyone should drive the speed limit on the highway or that the speed limit should be the mean.

oldno7
08-02-2011, 10:50 AM
george carlin: "Have you ever noticed that everyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and everyone driving faster than you is an f-n maniac"

(he told that one in salt lake awhile back)

Was that before or after he died in 2008:ne_nau: :lol8:

stefan
08-02-2011, 10:52 AM

it was october 2001 at symphony (abravanel) hall

Deathcricket
08-02-2011, 10:57 AM

Your signature made me LOL so hard! :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

oldno7
08-02-2011, 11:01 AM
i think it was sometime between fall 2001 and spring 2002 at symphony hall
I'll bet he was great to see in person............

JONBOYLEMON
08-02-2011, 01:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM

I am starting to think everyones opinions are correct around here!

Iceaxe
08-02-2011, 01:49 PM

I heard he died in a car accident.... hit an elk doing 80 I believe.

:haha:

JONBOYLEMON
08-02-2011, 02:08 PM
I heard he died in a car accident.... hit an elk doing 80 I believe.

:haha:

No you didnt!:mrgreen:

dmMatrix
08-03-2011, 03:27 PM
So, back in the day I lived in Cedar City and the girl who is now my wife lived in Brigham City. That is 300 miles exit to exit. I was making this drive almost every weekend for about 4 months (in my Cummins.... ugh).

The year I was making this drive so often I perfected which areas were always being camped out by HWY Patrol and I managed to only get pulled over once that entire year. Even the time I managed to make the 300 miles in 3 hours and 15 minutes was a complete success. Now, I have no idea where the cops camp out and it seems like there aren't ever any cops around the 80 mph zones except for the spot just barely north of Beaver.

I just wish they would make it NO SPEED LIMIT in sections like Nephi to Scipio and Fillmore to Beaver and then of coarse Beaver to Cedar City. Those were the most boring.

Iceaxe
08-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Back in the days BEFORE speed limits in Nevada we made Vallejo California to SLC in 8 hours (700 miles averaging 88 mph). From the minute we hit the base of a Nevada Sierra's to the Magna turn-off that needle was never under 100 mph.

Pulled in to get gas in NV and a Hwy patrol trooper pulls in behind us, he gets out and walks around the car which was a brand new 454 Chevelle and said he had been chasing us for the past 30 miles. He said if the car hadn't of been brand new and on new tires he would have given us a ticket for unsafe conditions. In the end he just let us go with a "be careful warning".

That ended up being an expensive trip as we burned the valves in the Chevelle.

rockgremlin
08-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Hell, lets make that speed limit 90 or 100, that way we can get to these canyons even faster, hike them as quickly as possible, and get back in our cars and race home...

I like the way this guy thinks...

JONBOYLEMON
08-04-2011, 09:06 AM
I like the way this guy thinks...

So it could be a timed event!!!! You would need a common start point like the Smiths in Cedar City. But imagine the fun. Speeding to the canyon of death, then being rushed because you have 4 hours to get through the canyon, and then BASE jumping the longer raps in the canyon to speed things up, then racing back to smiths to stop the clock!!!!!

I like it!!!!!!

What could go wrong????

BLUEberryBOB
08-04-2011, 01:41 PM
I am so confused by the responses..... BBBob are you sad the speed limit is 80 somewhere? DeathCricket say wha.....? What in the world am I missing?

I drove in a couple of 80 mph zones this morning going to and from Fillmore. I enjoyed it. Felt good to be legal. :lol8:

I'm sad we don't have an 80mph speed limit.

reverse_dyno
08-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Having done a lot of driving on the largely speed limitless German autobahn, you have to drive very differently than we do on US highways. Different cars have different top speeds. I drove a smaller car, and it topped out at 100 mph. When passing trucks, you have to be careful that a BMW doing 150 mph isn

accadacca
08-04-2011, 09:34 PM
The majority of european drivers are much better then yanks. You don't get a drivers license in a crackerjack box over there. You actually have to study and show your stuff in written and a physical driving test. Most Americans (no matter the age) would not pass over there on their first try....but I did. :2thumbs:

Over here it's a joke what you see on the road and in Europe driving can be like a well played symphony.

rockgremlin
08-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Over here it's a joke what you see on the road and in Europe driving can be like a well played symphony.

Kinda like this? :lol8:

dmMatrix
08-05-2011, 02:21 PM
HA HA :lol8: What a well trained puppy