PDA

View Full Version : Juniper Tree Ruin / Butler Wash

Reddirtdawg
07-20-2011, 07:41 PM
The last post I made a while back I told the story of this ruin I had been looking for in Butler Wash for a few years.
Old thread here (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?55336-Camping-on-Butler-Wash-Road&p=457068#post457068)

I did post a shot of the arrowhead I found 'in-situ' but none of the actual ruin I found. I was really surprised that for how large it was and in Butler Wash....I have not met a person yet who has been there or even knows about it....other that the fella that showed me the one shot of it at his house. I am sure there are many folks that know about this location....but with no trail or tracks and all of the artifacts nearby....it looks like of all the ruins I have ever visited....this gets the least traffic I have ever seen.

I did get back a couple weeks ago to try and get some decent shots this time.....this is a really hard one to shoot. I had to rush as was on my way into Blanding to meet some folks I was guiding for the weekend.

The main thing about this ruin is the Juniper tree trunk / branch that is incorporated into the construction of the front wall. If you have been here before.....you would remember it just from this alone.

Deadeye008
12-06-2011, 09:47 AM
I believe you are right about this ruin being seldom visited, especially for a ruin in Butler Wash. It is listed on one of the old topo maps I have of that area but has but was removed some 60+ years ago. Definitely a unique ruin with the Juniper tree construction. Just might have to stop by this ruin again for a visit when I'm down there in January. Great pictures.

Iceaxe
12-06-2011, 05:41 PM
It is listed on one of the old topo maps I have of that area but has but was removed some 60+ years ago.

FWIW: The USGS has uploaded many of the old historical maps. You can download them for free in PDF format. Lots of Cedar Mesa stuff on them that has since been removed.

http://nationalmap.gov/historical/

:cool2:

zzyzx
12-11-2011, 02:20 PM
THx for the link, Iceaxe. :2thumbs:
I've tons of old Utah quadrangles (16gb), but the most of them has non historical features.

Iceaxe
12-11-2011, 02:39 PM
I haven't had time to sit down and plot out the points yet and see what's new, but the USGS maps for Butler Wash from the 50's and 60's are available and show a lot of ruins.

zzyzx
12-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Me too.

A better way is, go to climb-utah.:mrgreen: