View Full Version : 3D Printer

oldno7
07-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Kinda surprised no one here has one or helped design this one
I'd think some MIT grads would be all over this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboxMsSz5Aw&feature=player_embedded

Skylinerider
07-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Back when I worked in architecture we had one of our models 3d printed. It's pretty freakin' cool.

agostinone
07-18-2011, 09:49 PM
These are some of the coolest tools I use in my job. About 15-20 years ago we would have parts made by sterolithography--basically the same process as shown in the video but a laser shines into a vat of liquid plastic and solidifies the plastic that is comes in contact with. A small part, about the size of a watch would cost $1,500 and was very fragile. Now days I can get the same sized part out of laser sintered nylon for about $50 and it has nearly the same physical properties as "real" plastic.

There is about 15 different processes for 3D printing. All of them have advantages and disadvantages but none of them makes parts as good as the "real" thing--yet. The way prices are dropping on the machines and materials it won't be long until individuals can buy one, or at least get access to one. Heck, our children's high school has a 3D printer.

Sombeech
07-18-2011, 11:24 PM
A couple of the schools in my district are using these, I've been thinking of something to have them make - - - for free.