PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Narrows Top-down report, July 10, 2011

ratagonia
07-14-2011, 10:14 PM
I ran (ok, trotted) through The Narrows from the top last Sunday. Here is what I found:

1. I had never done The Narrows from the top in highish water. It was MUCH more difficult than I expected. There are many obstacles in the upper part of the Narrows (above Big Springs) that require quite a bit of hunting around to find a reasonable route. With water high, plunging into the river was not always an option.

2. There were maybe five required stream crossings that were thigh-waist high with strong current - ie, where being swept away was a real possibility.

3. I ended up taking about five swims. I would say two were mandatory. The water was nice and warm-ish, so shorts and (Sport Science) tee shirt was fine, and the air temps were high enough to not require stopping and warming up.

4. I was somewhat concerned about the other 11 hikers on the 6:30 am Chamberlain shuttle. But, I guess they do OK. It is a BIG DAY, I hope they all realize it. (Heard one party got out at 2 am).

I was hoping to match my time of 15 years ago, six hours. No way! About 15 minutes of breaks, moving reasonably well, 8 hours 9 minutes.

Tom

hike2kolob
07-14-2011, 10:43 PM
:2thumbs: I love the reports Tom. Even if I have to live vicariously.

spinesnaper
07-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Strong work. It is a very special corridor. I am always shocked to come down that wilderness river and run smack into the hoards coming up from the Temple of Sinawava.:2thumbs:

Ken

blueeyes
07-14-2011, 11:43 PM
:2thumbs: Looking forward to our two day trip in August.

Iceaxe
07-15-2011, 08:12 AM
I was hoping to match my time of 15 years ago,

:roflol:

Yeah.... good luck with that.... :mrgreen:

There are a lot of things I did 15 years ago I'd like to still be able to match.... age is a bitch.

Thanks for the TR. :2thumbs:

tanya
07-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks Tom! I have been waiting for good conditions to take my kids and their friends through there! They want to go this summer.

arnellfam
07-21-2011, 06:53 AM
Excellent info on current conditions. I can't believe the Narrows (16 miles!?) can be done in 6-9 hours. Wow :hail2thechief:

ratagonia
07-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Excellent info on current conditions. I can't believe the Narrows (16 miles!?) can be done in 6-9 hours. Wow :hail2thechief:

Kip did a 4:45 back when he was a kid...

I thought I could have made 5 hours back then.

I think my time this time was purty gud for an old man.

Tom :moses:

spinesnaper
07-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Kip did a 4:45 back when he was a kid...

I thought I could have made 5 hours back then.

I think my time this time was purty gud for an old man.

Tom :moses:

Especially considering the higher than average water level.

ratagonia
07-29-2011, 02:25 PM
bump - for Marmot on a Rock.

T