PDA

View Full Version : Conditions Cable Canyon?

optikal
07-14-2011, 01:19 PM
A group of 3 of us are looking at doing Cable Canyon in a week and a half (23rd). Anyone know what the water condition will be like in there? I looked up the flow rates of the San Rafael River and it's very high comparable to other years, but none of us have done this canyon and I'm not sure if it's one of the main drainage canyons and will thus be high or near full, or if it'll have mostly evapped off?

Still trying to nail down a 2nd canyon for our 2nd day down in the swell, any suggestions? Somewhere around a 4B/C R IV... not looking to wear wetsuits.

jon.moab
07-14-2011, 08:11 PM
A group of eight of us did Cable two weeks ago and the water was quite low. There was only one section that required swimming. No wetsuits needed at all. The large keeper pothole was bone dry and a piece of cake to get out of. There were maybe 5-6 spots where we had to get in the water.

I would recommend the Squeeze. We also did this the day before Cable and there is a bit more water, still not a lot however...

Both are great canyons!

optikal
07-14-2011, 09:37 PM
I would recommend the Squeeze.

What pothole escaping gear did you use in The Squeeze? Wondering if we really need a hooked 12ft cheater stick?

ilipichicuma
07-14-2011, 10:15 PM
What pothole escaping gear did you use in The Squeeze? Wondering if we really need a hooked 12ft cheater stick?

That wasn't necessary when we did it. A couple pot shots should do you just fine, if you ask me.Take the hook just in case, but we did it without hooking at all. We did it back in May and the water was low.

jon.moab
07-18-2011, 06:34 AM
We used two potshots and a partner climb to get out of the large keeper. It was completely dry and quite easy to get out of. definitely take your potshots...