PDA

View Full Version : Film Photos Turned to Digital

tmartenst
07-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Where do the members of this group take their film negatives and slides to be printed or turned digital? Borge Andersen? Pixels?

I have a ton of stuff to sift through but initially I need to get a few prints made for a client by the end of the month.

Are the personal negative and slide scanners good enough that I should just buy one ASAP?

Also, once made a digital file, is editing similar within LR or Photoshop or do you have other workflows?

Tom

DOSS
07-14-2011, 06:28 AM
I have had Borge Anderson and wasatch photo do them before.. Borge used to be willing to give you the files in RAW format so it was nice when using photoshop as I used the same workflow.. I honestly can't remember the exact side of the photo but I ended up with 25X30 inch prints that are still on my wall that look flawless :)

gnwatts
07-14-2011, 07:19 AM
If you are going to do a lot of 35mm negative or transparency scanning, a dedicated unit might be cheaper in the long run. It is truly an art, and patience is required. I would get them professionally scanned now, take your time and research the best unit for your needs. You can spend a lot of money on a good scanner. Do you need speed (and workflow) with less quality or vice versa? Or both?

tmartenst
07-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks! I don't plan on doing crazy volume so time and workflow is not a super important requirement. I have a loupe and lightbox so I will pick the winners and only convert them.

tmartenst
07-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Update: I took it to Pixels in Sandy. $2.50 for a high res 12,400 DPI shot (70megs). Free to put on a flash drive and another $2.50 if you want it burned to CD. I am happy with the results.

If you haven't checked them out for gear or prints, do it. They are legit.

jbdavies
07-25-2011, 08:04 AM
Update: I took it to Pixels in Sandy. $2.50 for a high res 12,400 DPI shot (70megs). Free to put on a flash drive and another $2.50 if you want it burned to CD. I am happy with the results.

If you haven't checked them out for gear or prints, do it. They are legit.

Do they do B&W also? I have a roll of B&W film that I want turned into digital copies. And is that $2.50 per picture... or for a roll?

tmartenst
07-31-2011, 10:39 PM
Yes, they are a full service professional shop so b&w or color. $2.50 per negative or slide. Not sure about if they have discounted roll pricing.

jbdavies
08-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Sweet. Thanks. :)