PDA

View Full Version : Conditions East Fork Wheeler

MtnBkr
07-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Good news, trail maintenance has started on East Fork Wheeler Creek trail. The Forest Service has moved a small backhoe, and another trail tractor(?) onto the trail and is working their way down, filling in the center erosion and putting in some water diversion earthworks.

The Google Earth view shows where the equipment is today; no workers when I went by. The signs at the top and bottom say "Men Working" and from that I think the trail remains open even when they are there.

Water continues to flow furiously down Becker, too much to cross without wading and carrying your bike. See the Google Earth view for where I tried.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldmtnbkr/home/files/Snowbasin7-11-11.kmz?attredirects=0&d=1

live2ride
07-12-2011, 08:21 AM
so you started at Wheeler, took maples, headed over on maples to basin, then did you end up coming down the porky (trail) to finsh with coming down greens then hit art nord to finish your loop. Love that ride and the water can't go away soon enough!

MtnBkr
07-12-2011, 09:37 AM
I lose track of the trail names, especially on Snowbasin. Here is what I think the names were: Up Wheeler, up East Fork, across upper Green Pond Loop, tried Needles to the lodge but got stopped at Becker ski run because of too much water, dropped down and ended up over on Maples, down Wheeler, down Ice Box where the GPS had a hiccup because of the trees and very steep narrow canyon. There is still a short hike-a-bike at the bottom of Ice Box because of high water in the creek.

gholt
07-13-2011, 08:47 AM
I just cross the creek at becker. It gets your shoes a bit wet, but it keep them from getting too hot. Nice trail. I will have to check out the Art Nord areas.

Ryan
07-13-2011, 09:38 AM
I rode down ice box Monday. It is crazy the creek actually changed its flow and is now running where the trail was. It must have got stopped and diverted because of all the trees, rocks and silt coming down. If you stop and look at it you can see where it used to flow.

live2ride
07-13-2011, 09:43 AM
I was up at basin last night and couldn't belive how nice the trails were and it seems as most of the traffic has been taking middle fork over to maples and then the overlook? I didn't run into a single person on the upward trek of greens and last chance, sunshine loop. Made it quite nice to keep the pace up and not have to worry about people stopping. I did also see the mini excavater haning on the side of the trail in Art nord. When we all meeting up and riding since we all ride up there quite frequently?

gholt
07-18-2011, 08:02 AM
Thursday night, I saw a she moose before by the bridge on last chance trail. She was right off the trail laying down resting in the shade. Good thing she did not have a calf nearby. I pedaled off as quick as I could. Since we are always riding up there, I agree, we should make a bogley trip out of it. I go up there about 3 - 4 times a week, if I can make it.

live2ride
07-18-2011, 08:45 AM
I both love and hate seeing moose up there, all depending on where they are at in regards to the trail. Two years ago on two occasions I ran into Moose right on the trail and had to turn around since they wouldn't budge and were actually walking on the trail. I love seeing them as long as it is from a distance and they werent spooked. 3 or 4 years ago at dusk I almost collided with a big full grown moose in a late season ride down art nord, luckily it scared him as much as it did I so he ran on his way, I am still a little nervous with late evening rides in some spots up there!