PDA

View Full Version : [rumor] Subway accident: Jul 10, 2011

hank moon
07-11-2011, 04:58 AM
I heard that a person (boy scout) jumped, broke an ankle, and was short-hauled out. Anyone with details? Bo?

deathtointernet
07-11-2011, 06:19 AM
Was going through Das Boot/Subway yesterday, there was a guy, middle-aged, at the bottom of the boulder jam with a broken ankle, said he was climbing the face and 'jammed his ankle in the rock, broke it and couldn't put any weight on it.' Others had already begun climbing out Russell Gulch with a Spot and cell phone to get help. Guy seemed like he was doing okay and didn't need any further help. So we continued on and later saw a helicopter flying low over the canyon, imagine he was hauled out. When we were finished there was still a lot of activity going on the KT road, several ambulances and a helicopter still operating, wondering if maybe there was more than one incident?

Incidentally, Das Boot was great. Rather not have been rained on while in it, but it was light. Subway was in great condition right till the end where some tourists were enjoying a smoke in the lower Subway. Nothing like a beautiful wilderness setting that smells like a bar.

Bo_Beck
07-11-2011, 06:46 AM
I heard that a person (boy scout) jumped, broke an ankle, and was short-hauled out. Anyone with details? Bo?

Not sure how he broke it (climbing/jumping?), but the Grand Canyon graciously brought in a ship to do a short haul. In the past we'd done short hauls from near that location, but there was enough concern that a team was brought together and put on standby in the event that we might need to effect a raise up to the rim. Fortunately the pilot was able to get in and bring the injured hiker out.

Bo_Beck
07-11-2011, 06:49 AM
When we were finished there was still a lot of activity going on the KT road, several ambulances and a helicopter still operating, wondering if maybe there was more than one incident?

Saw you when you drove by to retrieve your shuttle at upper TH! Just the one incident Jeremy.

deathtointernet
07-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Saw you when you drove by to retrieve your shuttle at upper TH! Just the one incident Jeremy.

The Kolob Terrace was the place to be yesterday, on the way down I passed Lacy on her way to Lava Point! The guy seemed like he was in good spirits about the whole thing. Told him to say hi for me if you showed up Bo.