PDA

View Full Version : Canyoneering In Korea?

agostinone
07-08-2011, 07:32 PM
I was in Taiwan and Korea on business the last couple weeks. A typhoon followed me from Taipei to Seoul so on my free days I couldn't get out to do much so I hit the gym. While pounding the miles on the treadmill I was watching the TV on the wall and they had some apparent local celeb being guided through a relatively nice slot. The guides and the celeb were asians so I figure it was somewhere local. Anybody got beta on slots in Korea or Taiwan (I'll be going back, the project is just starting)?

trackrunner
07-08-2011, 08:22 PM
to help with your search the sport is called river tracing in taiwan

i have some promising leads for canyons in Korea if you want. . .

DPRK to be specific

rcwild
07-11-2011, 01:22 PM
I have made several trips to Taiwan over the past few years to teach canyoneering courses. Contact me by email and I will provide some names and email address of canyoneers there. rcwild at mac dot com

Plans to teach courses in Thailand and Vietnam earlier this year were postponed due to my daughter's accident, but we are talking dates again. Will likely add Malaysia and Philippines to the trip. Not sure about South Korea.

River tracing is actually going UP rivers and waterfalls. The people who are starting to follow the rivers downstream are calling it canyoneering or canyoning.