PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report The Subway 07/03/11

Felicia
07-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Well, after almost two years, I finally got back into The Subway on Sunday. It was quite the adventure.

After my aggressive stance to be at the trailhead at 6:00 AM was ignored, we got a late start of 7:30 AM. Actually, I guess this was best because the two Noobs in the group arrived in Hurricane at 2:00 AM and did not get much sleep. With assistance from the staff at ZAC, I rented their 5.10s - thank goodness they fit! There was 7 of us in the group. The meet-up and shuttle went without a hitch and we were heading down the trail.

My feet did not like traveling down the slick rock and by the time we got to the top of Russell Gulch, my feet were spent. Oh well - I was not going back! It was way too hot and I was on a mission to see the pools that I had seen in the pictures that were posted from the Bogley Fest Subway trip. I wanted my own pictures!

This trip was my 12th time to The Subway, and this was the first time that I found the water was not cold enough. *LOL* The only time my feet did not scream was when they were in the water. Needless to say, I stayed in the water as much as I could.

I was not disappointed - The Subway was beautiful!!!! Because we were traveling slow, the lighting was perfect when we arrived at the last rappel. The pools were incredible. All the sand has been scoured out and they are deep! The pools still has sand at the bottom, so it does make you wonder how deep they go. I spent a lot of time in the waterfall room taking pictures. I arrived just as the sun was hitting the falls in the room. I stayed until the sun was directly overhead - I got an incredible set of photos.

The walk out was very long for me. We usually get out around 4:00/5:00 PM, but we did not get out until 9:00 PM. We then drove straight back to SoCal. The drive was brutal. After that drive, having sore feet is nothing! *LOL*

BUT - I made it!!!!!!!!!! The trip was worth each and every painful step and I will go again.

Given that I cannot seem to post pictures on this new Bogley format, here is a link to some pictures:
(link removed -- scroll down for all photos and additional photos - Thanks!!!)

And here is a link to a wonderful blog posting:

http://zionadventures.com/ZBlog/znp/a-portrait-of-zions-dramatic-subway/

Enjoy! :nod:

ps: I will add more pictures here once I figure out how to post them here - and do not tell me to check blah...blah...blah. I've done that! :ne_nau: (Beech - I will send you a screen shot that you requested.)

Iceaxe
07-06-2011, 01:42 PM

Here is one of your pictures..... just cut-n-paste....

And I love this one....

tdoughty
07-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Went thru a day before you via Das Boot and the pool pictured above was just one of some amazing scenery thru that section. If I remember correctly there was a long swimmer just before it and around the corner with super clear water and a clean sandy bottom that we just couldn't drag ourselves out of...not that it was difficult, just the opposite. Felt like we were floating in some tropical waters rather than the heart of Zion, and we just wanted to linger and enjoy....

Brian in SLC
07-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Wow, those are neat photo's. Post some more up!

Scott Card
07-06-2011, 05:18 PM
That "Dramatic Bend" blog photo is great. I have not seen that perspective before. Very cool! :2thumbs:

Felicia
07-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. There are three more cameras of pictures that I have not seen. I will add to the thread over the next couple of days.

I saw a couple of things different this trip. In the morning I saw a couple tent camping as we were walking in - around the area just before you would turn if you were descending Russell Gulch. Later in the afternoon, after the area where the second stream comes into the canyon from the right and just before the exit, a guy had set up a tent for the night. Is the Park allowing certain types of tent camping in that area now?

We did not see any rangers all day.

ratagonia
07-07-2011, 08:51 AM
I saw a couple of things different this trip. In the morning I saw a couple tent camping as we were walking in - around the area just before you would turn if you were descending Russell Gulch. Later in the afternoon, after the area where the second stream comes into the canyon from the right and just before the exit, a guy had set up a tent for the night. Is the Park allowing certain types of tent camping in that area now?

We did not see any rangers all day.

There is a 'dispersed camping area' down the Northgate Peaks Trail, but no, neither of these parties were within that area, so both were illegal!

Scott Card
07-07-2011, 12:51 PM
We did not see any rangers all day. Wait, what... Huh? What day of the week was this, what time, what was the alignment of the stars and constellations, what car did you drive, did you have a cloaking device, was there some canyon poacher somewhere else they had all converged on.... This important stuff. We need answers! You may want to p.m. sideband with your secret since there a Zion spies on this board. :fitz::haha:

spinesnaper
07-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Wait, what... Huh? What day of the week was this, what time, what was the alignment of the stars and constellations, what car did you drive, did you have a cloaking device, was there some canyon poacher somewhere else they had all converged on.... This important stuff. We need answers! You may want to p.m. sideband with your secret since there a Zion spies on this board. :fitz::haha:

Now Scott, I did not detect a drop of sarcasm. It is not like she suggested the Rangers were enjoying a thermos of coffee and powdered donuts in a parking lot somewhere. I personally hope these rangers are spending their time where visitors are concentrated (e.g. helping speeders and people lost in the camp grounds) rather than wasting their time trying to bag a stray violator like Canyonman who is out there saving lives and clearing unnecessary bolts.:nono:

Ken

Felicia
07-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Ok - here are the pictures:

spinesnaper
07-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Great photos:2thumbs:

Felicia
07-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Great photos:2thumbs:

Thank you! :nod:

abirken
07-07-2011, 09:49 PM
GORGEOUS! Oh man I want to do it over and over. :nod::mrgreen:

Felicia
07-07-2011, 09:56 PM
I got a picture of my husband! :haha:

There was a red webbing handline set up at this obstacle:

A strange angle to take a photo; but I like it.

My husband left his pack by the pools:

What struck my sense of awe the most during this trip was how clear the water was in the pools. Everything felt fresh and clean. It seems like the flooding this past winter scoured out the canyon.

Felicia
07-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Wow, those are neat photo's. Post some more up!

Thanks Brian! There were three other cameras on this trip. I have not seen the pictures yet, but I'm sure there will be more pictures to share.

Shane - I think I got it!!!!! :mrgreen:

ps: Thanks for my into to The Subway back in '05. This was my 11th trip since that adventurous meeting. :2thumbs:

JONBOYLEMON
07-07-2011, 10:10 PM
OK, I have never seen pics like this of the subway. Probably because I have never read much in the Canyons threads, but WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a place. For just some regular guy how does one end up going on a trip like this? Must start reading up on the subway now!!!!

PS, thanks for sharing these killer shots!

Scott Card
07-07-2011, 10:18 PM
OK, I have never seen pics like this of the subway. Probably because I have never read much in the Canyons threads, but WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a place. For just some regular guy how does one end up going on a trip like this? Must start reading up on the subway now!!!!

PS, thanks for sharing these killer shots! Yes you do need to read up on this and then do it. It really is a marvelous place, a place that I have gone to repeatedly even several times in one summer. You must do it top down so you can experience it all. Hook up with someone who has gone before and who knows what they are doing and you should really enjoy it.

Felecia really did capture some really creative and beautiful shots. Very nice work! :2thumbs:

Felicia
07-07-2011, 10:20 PM
There is a 'dispersed camping area' down the Northgate Peaks Trail, but no, neither of these parties were within that area, so both were illegal!

Thanks Tom - that is what I thought. By the time I was passing the guy in tent at the end of the day, I was ready to boot him out of that tent and crash for the night. :lol8:

Wait, what... Huh? What day of the week was this, what time, what was the alignment of the stars and constellations, what car did you drive, did you have a cloaking device, was there some canyon poacher somewhere else they had all converged on.... This important stuff. We need answers! You may want to p.m. sideband with your secret since there a Zion spies on this board. :fitz::haha:

:lol8::lol8::lol8: I'm taking the 5th! :lol8::lol8::lol8:

Actually, I mentioned not seeing a range this time because this is the first time that I have not encountered a ranger in all our trips through The Subway. When it was getting late, I tried to send the strong part of the group ahead to complete the car shuttle and make prior commitments timely. The permit holder, rightly so, refused to allow the group to break up until we were sure that everyone took the correct trail up and out of the Fork. When they left, I told them what to say to the ranger and where to locate a copy of the permit that was left in the car at the top, but they never saw a ranger.

I can report that the rest of the Park and the local towns were crawling with law enforcements.

Sombeech
07-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Great pics :cool2:

ratagonia
07-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Actually, I mentioned not seeing a range this time because this is the first time that I have not encountered a ranger in all our trips through The Subway. When it was getting late, I tried to send the strong part of the group ahead to complete the car shuttle and make prior commitments timely. The permit holder, rightly so, refused to allow the group to break up until we were sure that everyone took the correct trail up and out of the Fork. When they left, I told them what to say to the ranger and where to locate a copy of the permit that was left in the car at the top, but they never saw a ranger.

The petty restrictions on your permit should never keep you from doing what is best for your party. Making sure everyone finds the trail up is a good idea (though).

The permit exists inside the Park Service's computer. That paper copy... merely an annoyance. That they think it is important for you to show them the paper copy is due to a lack of preparation on their part.

T :moses:

oldno7
07-08-2011, 08:01 AM
Great pics, Felicia.

I've seen that worn out look hiking up the exit many times....:haha:

accadacca
07-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Excellent photos and happy to see that you solved your upload issues. :2thumbs:

Dig this one and others... :hail2thechief:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46086&stc=1&d=1310097324

Scott Card
07-08-2011, 11:53 AM
The petty restrictions on your permit should never keep you from doing what is best for your party. Making sure everyone finds the trail up is a good idea (though).

That they think it is important for you to show them the paper copy is due to a lack of preparation on their part.

T :moses: I disagree. You should have the permit ready for the rangers. WELL, When I get the permit, I respectfully fold it and always put the permit right in my pocket for quick retrieval. Then I rap, and swim and hike and sweat and swim some more. Then when the nice ranger asks for my permit, I reach in my pocket and wring out the fibers and hand him my permit. Granted it looks like what we used to throw on the bathroom ceilings in grade school but it is my permit.
:haha:

spinesnaper
07-08-2011, 12:56 PM
I disagree. You should have the permit ready for the rangers. WELL, When I get the permit, I respectfully fold it and always put the permit right in my pocket for quick retrieval. Then I rap, and swim and hike and sweat and swim some more. Then when the nice ranger asks for my permit, I reach in my pocket and wring out the fibers and hand him my permit. Granted it looks like what we used to throw on the bathroom ceilings in grade school but it is my permit.
:haha:

Well, at least you do not use it as bumwad before presenting it to authorities.:lol8:

Felicia
07-08-2011, 06:10 PM
A couple of years ago, I was carrying the permit. I put it right where I would be able to locate it if requested. At the end of the day, in the parking lot, the permit was requested. Of course, I could not find it. We had to wait while the backcountry staff responded to the radio call to confirm my status. We lost a valuable hour of travel time home and I went to work the next day with only three hours of sleep. BTW - the permit was in my food drybag.

Last year, I waited at the trailhead for our group to exit. Of the eight, three moved faster and arrived at the top. The ranger arrived. The permit was requested. I offered an explanation. The ranger would wait. Two more arrived - they needed to get the rentals returned and then deadhead home. Ranger wanted the permit. We all had to wait. The final three arrived at the top. The permit holder had remained with the slowest and it took time to climb the hill. Permit was requested. Only after the permit was shown, was everyone able to continue with their plans. Rule #1 - stay together had been broken that afternoon.

So now we keep a permit with us, and a copy in the cars at the exit trailhead in hopes that we can get out of the parking lot faster.

ratagonia
07-08-2011, 06:33 PM
A couple of years ago, I was carrying the permit. I put it right where I would be able to locate it if requested. At the end of the day, in the parking lot, the permit was requested. Of course, I could not find it. We had to wait while the backcountry staff responded to the radio call to confirm my status. We lost a valuable hour of travel time home and I went to work the next day with only three hours of sleep. BTW - the permit was in my food drybag.

Last year, I waited at the trailhead for our group to exit. Of the eight, three moved faster and arrived at the top. The ranger arrived. The permit was requested. I offered an explanation. The ranger would wait. Two more arrived - they needed to get the rentals returned and then deadhead home. Ranger wanted the permit. We all had to wait. The final three arrived at the top. The permit holder had remained with the slowest and it took time to climb the hill. Permit was requested. Only after the permit was shown, was everyone able to continue with their plans. Rule #1 - stay together had been broken that afternoon.

So now we keep a permit with us, and a copy in the cars at the exit trailhead in hopes that we can get out of the parking lot faster.

Were you under arrest? ie, were you not free to leave?

T

Felicia
07-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Were you under arrest?

No

I don't like confrontation. Given what I deal with day-in and day-out, this battle is too small. I try to comply efficiently and move along.

Beside - I don't want to get a reputation like Scott!!! :lol8::fitz:

Scott Card
07-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Better not talk to me. Or perhaps you could just refer to me as "Slim." They don't know what I look like. They just know....SCOTT CARD.... but Slim would throw them off.

Felicia
07-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Better not talk to me. Or perhaps you could just refer to me as "Slim." They don't know what I look like. They just know....SCOTT CARD.... but Slim would throw them off.

Ok Wilf!!! :naughty: Can you yoddle? :bootyshake:

accadacca
07-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Were you under arrest? ie, were you not free to leave?

T
Yeah, hell. What a PITA...permits. :becca:

outdoor love
07-10-2011, 09:14 AM
The guy camping that you passed on your way out was an photographer from italy who wanted to get the good light in the morning. That was the clearest I have ever seen the Subway in the 8 times I have done it! It was nice briefly meeting your group on the upper half of the subway that day! Nice pics thanks for sharing.

arnellfam
07-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Felicia, loved your photos and trip report! You mentioned being in the right place at the right time to get certain photos. What time was that? I'm hoping to get into the Subway in the next eight weeks. I tried with a group of teens in May (bottom up). Took us five hours to reach the Subway only to have to turn around because the water was too high, too fast and too cold. Your pictures are some of the best I've seen of Subway and I can't wait to venture another try!

Felicia
07-11-2011, 01:31 PM
It was nice briefly meeting your group on the upper half of the subway that day! Nice pics thanks for sharing.

It was nice to meet and chat with your group as well - it was a wonderful day!

Felicia, loved your photos and trip report! You mentioned being in the right place at the right time to get certain photos. What time was that? I'm hoping to get into the Subway in the next eight weeks. I tried with a group of teens in May (bottom up). Took us five hours to reach the Subway only to have to turn around because the water was too high, too fast and too cold. Your pictures are some of the best I've seen of Subway and I can't wait to venture another try!

Thank you arnellfam. I'm flattered. I like to arrive at the subway section of The Subway when the sun is overhead. Not sure what time this will be on the clock over the next eight weeks. Good luck and have an awesome trip. I look forward to seeing your photos. :nod:

This was my trip report from the last time I was in The Subway in 2009:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?36043-TR-Subway-07-12-09

jdgibney
07-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Those are some fantastic photos, thanks for sharing! Maybe next year I can make it back out that way and check it out with some experienced photographer/hikers!

tanya
07-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Exceptional photos Felicia!

dbaxter
07-12-2011, 07:54 AM
Great photos!:hail2thechief: Thanks for sharing! It was great to visit with you at the fest. Hope we get to do it again soon. Got your voice back yet?

OzGirl
07-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Beautiful pics, must make sure I fit Subway in next time I'm over.

Julie

OzGirl
07-12-2011, 02:09 PM
So that's what John looks like sober!
Sorry John :naughty:

Julie

Felicia
07-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks Tanya!

Great photos!:hail2thechief: Thanks for sharing! It was great to visit with you at the fest. Hope we get to do it again soon. Got your voice back yet?

I do now - I had no idea that I could be that sick and still be alive! *LOL* OK - maybe a little dramatic. :lol8: We will try to catch a meal with you guys the next time we are out your way. I want to hear all about Alaska. :cool2:

Thanks Jules! I'm sorry were not able to swing The Subway together - next time for sure! :2thumbs:

Felicia
07-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Those are some fantastic photos, thanks for sharing! Maybe next year I can make it back out that way and check it out with some experienced photographer/hikers!

Thanks! Keep us posted as to when you are returning - you never know who will be around. :2thumbs:

jpratt11
07-13-2011, 07:53 PM
The canyon still looks much to dangerous for human travel. I think they should close it down for another 3 months and see if it dries out a little more in that time. :haha:

P.S. A group of us went 5/15/10. The water level was high. Especially noticeable in Keyhole Falls. 2 people in our party decided to turn back around Russell Gulch area. On the way back they ran into rangers. The rangers asked them for a permit, but they told them it was with the rest of the party that was continuing the hike. The rangers then told them that no one that year had made it through the hike so far without at least breaking a bone. They told them we would not make it out that day, but as it was getting later in the day they wouldn't start looking for us until the morning. Short story short we were fine and the only noteworthy obstacle was Keyhole Falls. The bowling ball section could have been an issue, but I knew the bypass existed so we used that route.