PDA

View Full Version : Help Mesa Verde Backcountry

mattandersao
07-06-2011, 12:47 PM
http://www.prweb.com/releases/mesa-verde-country/colorado-hiking-outdoor/prweb8231849.htm

Hmmm this may draw me back to Mesa Verde Disney!

mattandersao
07-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Colorado’s Mesa Verde Institute Opens Four Backcountry Hikes for Summer, Fall -- Mesa Verde Country

Iceaxe
07-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Trails are at 7,000 feet, uneven and unpaved, and most include steps and ladders. Many traverse narrow paths along cliff edges and move through tight passages.

:eek2:

maybe that's why it is called "hiking". :roll:

Thank god the NPS is there to protect us. :2thumbs:

Firedancer
07-07-2011, 07:50 AM
So glad I saw this - I will be there for one day in September. Thanks!

canyonphile
07-07-2011, 07:52 AM
[QUOTE]
1. Square Tower House

IntrepidXJ
07-07-2011, 10:48 AM
My thoughts as well.

While it would be neat to see these ruins, I really can't see shelling out $20-40 for the privilege. Plus, guided tours aren't my thing.

Firedancer
07-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Wow - apparently, you guys are in the minority. The two dates I'm going to be there (mid-September) are already booked up. Bummer. I always (falsely) assume that once school is back in session the parks won't be so crowded.

canyonphile
07-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Wow - apparently, you guys are in the minority. The two dates I'm going to be there (mid-September) are already booked up. Bummer. I always (falsely) assume that once school is back in session the parks won't be so crowded.

I'm sorry you couldn't get in on one of those dates you wanted...and yeah, even though it's not my thing (having seen more remote ruins that still have intact middens with pottery sherds everywhere, parts of grinding metates and 800 y.o. corncobs still scattered about, while having the place to myself - anything the NPS has its hands in will fall short), I think it's nice that they offer these tours to people who want a little more.

If you have time and the ability to get there, I'd consider going to Chaco Canyon, in northern NM, west of Hwy 550. It doesn't have cliff dwellings, but the pueblo ruins are huge and impressive. Plus, you can hike out a few miles (with the free permit) and see this ruin - Penasco Blanco - one of the Great Houses, and is un-excavated. It's about a 7 mile RT hike, which weeds out those who don't want to walk more than 200 yards on a paved path to see something, which is most tourists:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Mf3byr8--uU/TX62_DPkV3I/AAAAAAAAKo4/PhmJKpsQ4jo/s800/DSC_0134.jpg

Mesa Verde is very neat, but the crowds are such a buzzkill....it is like Disneyland. I find visiting Anasazi ruins to be a special and spiritual experience, but you won't get that at all at MV.