PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Pine Creek without a wet suit

arnellfam
06-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Pine Creek (Zion National Park) isn't new to users of this forum and beta is widely available elsewhere on the web, so I'm just posting regarding specific conditions.

I did Pine Creek on Saturday, 6/25 with two other adults, both relatively experienced canyoneers who have done Pine Creek multiple times. Weather in Springdale, Utah was forecast for the 90s. We started at about 9:30am, somewhat earlier than most sites encourage (early afternoon), but the benefit is that we had no one ahead of us, but nearly 30 behind us (we waited around near the end and spoke to folks as they came through).

We opted to go without wet suits - board shorts\swim suits and shirtless. The water was indeed incredibly cold, but we were in and out quickly, warming up fast once out. Water depth was higher than any of our group had seen in this canyon, mostly thigh/waist level with one area that was mid-chest. Everyone behind us had wet suits and most were very glad to have done so.

We avoided what appeared to be deeper water in the bottom of the Cathedral by scooting through a window on the left about halfway down (on the right as you're looking down the rappel. On the left as you're rappelling.)

We brought 1-112ft 9mm static rope and 1-112ft pull cord and they worked perfectly for this canyon. We double roped all raps except the last one where we used the pull cord (with a figure 8 on a bight, biner clipped through, removed by the last person who carried the pull cord down with him). Piranha's, auto blocks (both for friction) and personal anchor systems also came in real handy.

It appears someone has added a new station for the last rap, a single sling around an old log. We probably would have removed it except it was in use by a group who passed us while we ate lunch. The station is inferior to the established, redundant anchor system already in place. Unfortunately, the established anchor system isn't immediately visible on the approach which is why I suspect the log station was added, but it could easily encourage its use by those who aren't aware of the more established station.

Also of note is the grotto behind the grotto where you land on the last rap. You can see into it as you come down, but I wonder how many folks take the time/effort to climb up in to see it. It was quite beautiful with a 7+ ft deep pool. We climbed in and went for a (quick) swim before heading down canyon. Also down canyon are several delightful swimming holes you can use to cool off if you're hiking on a hot day like we were.

All-in-all, Pine Creek lived up to it's reputation as a spectacularly beautiful, easy-in, moderately easy-out canyon that doesn't disappoint.
45700457014570245703457044570545706457074570845709 45710

Deathcricket
06-27-2011, 03:29 PM
OMG YOU ARE F-en CRAZY! NO WETSUIT!!!

Actually I'm just jealous because I frigging die in there, haha. Nice TR and welcome to the board. :2thumbs:

ratagonia
06-27-2011, 04:21 PM
I put in that alternative rap station about a week ago, because it raps into the AWESOME chamber underneath that big rock. You may have noticed it is a redundant anchor as it includes both the robust jammed log, and a large rock behind it. OK, partially redundant, because if the log went, the rock would too. Maybe people were using it because the rappel off it is AWESOME!!!

Tom :moses:

Scott Card
06-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Maybe people were using it because the rappel off it is AWESOME!!!

Agreed, particularly when there is a bit of a flow in Pine Creek.

arnellfam
06-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Tom,

I stand corrected! I've read enough of your stuff that if you thought it was a good station, that's good enough for me. It was the rock that concerned me, because I agree - if the log goes, the rock is going with it (can't weigh more than 150 lbs). And the chamber underneath it is indeed awesome. We climbed up in and went for a swim. I wonder if you can see into the chamber from the log station to see if there are people inside. I'll have to check that next time I do Pine Creek - just as we were leaving the chamber, small (up to half-fist-sized) rocks started falling from above right were we had been swimming. We scrambled to get clear and yelled up to notify whomever that there were people below. We didn't realize we were under the new station. Good to know though - it would indeed be really cool to rappel into that chamber.

Gary

spinesnaper
06-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Looks like a different place than early spring. Fortunately you guys don't have the massive chests of the more senior canyoneers. Not sure I would have wanted to see that topless.:haha: Nice trip report.

Ken

ratagonia
06-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Tom,

I stand corrected! I've read enough of your stuff that if you thought it was a good station, that's good enough for me. It was the rock that concerned me, because I agree - if the log goes, the rock is going with it (can't weigh more than 150 lbs). And the chamber underneath it is indeed awesome. We climbed up in and went for a swim. I wonder if you can see into the chamber from the log station to see if there are people inside. I'll have to check that next time I do Pine Creek - just as we were leaving the chamber, small (up to half-fist-sized) rocks started falling from above right were we had been swimming. We scrambled to get clear and yelled up to notify whomever that there were people below. We didn't realize we were under the new station. Good to know though - it would indeed be really cool to rappel into that chamber.

Gary

A cursory glance could rightly cast suspicion on that particular anchor - and it could have changed since I put it in. The log I think is totally solid. When we were standing there, small rocks were dropping into the pool.

Partly I selected the largest rock I could handle (about 100 lbs, I think) so it would bridge the gap between the log and the bedrock rock wall beside, so no one would "drop through" (though likely only to crotch level unless very small).

If you are swimming underneath, be sure to hoot and holler to let people know you are there. It is a false-bottom area, and people crossing to get to the regular anchor will knock rocks out the bottom. Caution advised.

canyonguru
06-27-2011, 09:19 PM
To see water at the bottom of the seccond rap. is unusual to me, but then again you said that nothing was over your chest. It has been a couple of years since i have done pine creek and i don't ever remember not having a swim or two while in the canyon. I am taking scouts down Pine Creek in August, i would love for it to be tippy top full if not a trickle would be pretty sweet. I Dont think since i have gotten out of scouting and doing canyons on my own have i warn a wet suite down pine creek, but then again i usually wait until July to get up to Zion.

ilipichicuma
06-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Looks like a different place than early spring. Fortunately you guys don't have the massive chests of the more senior canyoneers. Not sure I would have wanted to see that topless.:haha: Nice trip report.

Ken

:lol8: I hear that.

accadacca
06-28-2011, 08:29 AM
That first picture is sweet! :2thumbs:

Krrristi
08-10-2011, 08:26 PM
We brought 1-112ft 9mm static rope and 1-112ft pull cord and they worked perfectly for this canyon. We double roped all raps except the last one where we used the pull cord (with a figure 8 on a bight, biner clipped through, removed by the last person who carried the pull cord down with him).

So what you're saying is, doubling my 200 ft rope isn't going to work for me next Sunday?

ratagonia
08-10-2011, 08:53 PM
So what you're saying is, doubling my 200 ft rope isn't going to work for me next Sunday?

Yah, that will work... longest rap is <100 feet these days, especially if you use that NEW anchor on the last rap!!!
T

dustinsc
08-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Last time I was in Pine Creek I saw that log jam and thought, "that would be a fun rappel off that anchor." Someone actually just wrapped their rope around the log like you would find at the top of a climbing gym route and went down like that. That seemed like less fun.

Krrristi
08-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Yah, that will work... longest rap is <100 feet these days, especially if you use that NEW anchor on the last rap!!!
T

Thanks! It'll be my first time doing Pine Creek...will your anchor give me the full Pine Creek experience? :bandit:

ratagonia
08-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Thanks! It'll be my first time doing Pine Creek...will your anchor give me the full Pine Creek experience? :bandit:

It is no longer my anchor, it now belongs to the Universe at Large.

Be sure to check it carefully before using. If you bring a 30' sling, you can take the whole top of that giant rock.

I think it is a better rappel than the other...

:moses:

oldno7
08-12-2011, 05:46 AM
The whole rock was wrapped not long ago.............(Red even)

Sandyfeet
08-18-2011, 12:51 PM
We did Pine Creek and Keyhole Yesterday. Wednesday 08/17th.
The water in Pine was not too cold, we did it without wet suits and were fine with a 9:30 a.m. start. I had not done it in about 6 years and what surprised me is the pool at the last rappel is now a 10 foot high pile of rocks and sand.. Wow!! Pretty impressive flow going on there..We met up with 2 groups of great people while eating a snack and worked out our shuttle. I have walked halfway up to the tunnel before getting a ride in the past..
We went down the chain anchor that used to drop you in the water. All the anchors were perfectly placed and in good shape. IMHO..
Keyhole was cold and manky/stank as usual..

ratagonia
08-18-2011, 02:32 PM
We did Pine Creek and Keyhole Yesterday. Wednesday 08/17th.
The water in Pine was not too cold, we did it without wet suits and were fine with a 9:30 a.m. start. I had not done it in about 6 years and what surprised me is the pool at the last rappel is now a 10 foot high pile of rocks and sand.. Wow!! Pretty impressive flow going on there..We met up with 2 groups of great people while eating a snack and worked out our shuttle. I have walked halfway up to the tunnel before getting a ride in the past..
We went down the chain anchor that used to drop you in the water. All the anchors were perfectly placed and in good shape. IMHO..
Keyhole was cold and manky/stank as usual..

Went through Pine Creek this morning, 8/18/2011.

There are now 5 bolts for SAR before the first rappel. A group of non-helmeted persons were demonstrating that that first drop as a rappel is quite difficult. I removed the webbing from this anchor, then put a small piece of webbing on it and labelled it "SAR". If people really want a bolted anchor there, we could put one in that would make a reasonable "pre-first" rappel, but the bolts there are for something else, and make the rappel really difficult.

The rigging on the (true) first rappel sucked. Bright yellow webbing rigged in an American Death Triangle. I went back and re-rigged it after my trip through.

The rigging on the last anchor (chain? there is no chain) was sucky. When this anchor is rigged longish, it makes getting on rappel more difficult. I removed the webbing on there and replaced with a rigging tied as short as possible.

The alt anchor for the last rappel was not rigged with webbing.

The spring at the base of the usual last rappel is cranking!!! The water is delightful, which cannot be said for the water elsewhere in the canyon. The waist-deep water at the base of the first rap is skankeeeeeeeeeeeee. At the Cathedral is a short swim, and the water is somewhat rank. Water past there is not very deep.

Interesting how two anchors went from "perfectly placed and in good shape" to "sucky" in a few hours... :haha: :roll:

Sandyfeet
08-18-2011, 03:32 PM
I guess we did a lot of raps yesterday that and my faded and aged memory betrayed me ,your right of course that last rap is off webbing,,there was a chain somewhere hmmm.

Sandyfeet
08-18-2011, 03:46 PM
If the rappel is somewhat difficult to get onto I feel that adds to the appeal. Maybe that is just me. As long as there are no splinters involved...Tie in before you get on get the rush and go..

ratagonia
08-18-2011, 04:32 PM
If the rappel is somewhat difficult to get onto I feel that adds to the appeal. Maybe that is just me. As long as there are no splinters involved...Tie in before you get on get the rush and go..

Then next time... :naughty: may I suggest hooking in, then reefing out 30' of slack, locking the Pirana off and... :crazy: :stud: :slobber:

Hope you have a climbing rope for that!

Sandyfeet
08-18-2011, 06:54 PM
We did fine on our 6mm doing the dulfersitz.. :fitz: