PDA

View Full Version : News Adidas Canyoneering Shoe

Iceaxe
06-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Here is a picture of the prototype Adidas Canyoneering shoe. The expected launch for the new adidas canyoning shoe is 2012.

Adidas Hydro Pro

And here is a link to the critique of the various prototypes tested that is kinda interesting.

Adidas Hydro-Pro Report (http://www.nizzola.ch/Report%203%20adidas%20canyoning%20shoes%2022052011 .pdf)

I hope it is as good as the Nike Canyoneering shoe was and they don't discontinue them like Nike did when they learned they couldn't sell a million a year.

:cool2:

Iceaxe
06-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Shoe test, Mallorca
June 1, 2011
--------------------

Developing a sports shoe is a highly complex process. In most sports the shoe is supposed to support the athlete in exercising his discipline while tapping his full potential. What matters in outdoor sports, however, are not only the quality and function of a shoe, but first and foremost its safety features as “slippage” may have devastating consequences in the great outdoors.

Since development mainly feeds on experience, adidas has always worked closely with athletes. In this spirit, the business unit Outdoor consulted the adidas Canyoning Team for the development of their new canyoning shoe HYDRO-Pro and involved athletes Thomas Kracker from Germany, Luca und Anna Nizzola from Switzerland, Tom Zipperle from Italy as well as Chris Riepl, Alexander Riml and Ewald Holzknecht from Austria in the development process.

Preliminary stages started in summer 2010 when the perfect rubber compound for the sole was determined. Once everyone involved had approved this vital feature, adidas started producing the first prototypes in winter 2010/2011. In order not to lose too much time, the development department decided to test the shoes right away, which meant moving to warmer regions. The team opted for Mallorca where temperatures and water levels allow for canyoning as early as March.

adidas product developers, designers and marketing managers joined the adidas Cayoning Team to test the prototypes under the most extreme conditions exploring the limits of the material. While there was up to 80cm fresh snow in the Alps, the test crew was blessed with sunny weather and hiked through some of the most beautiful and challenging canyons on the Balearic Island. The Mortix with its impressive razor-sharp rock formations lead the group all the way down to the sea. With the Sa Fosca the testers explored an extremely deep, unusually tight and dark canyon. Finally, the test crew abseiled the high waterfalls of the Biniaraix. Based on the consolidated experience the shoe is currently improved before entering the long-term test phase.

„For me as a product tester it was amazing to see with how much effort and commitment adidas are developing their new canyoning shoe”, says certified canyoning instructor and mountain guide Alexander Riml from Austria. “For me one of the most important criteria during the field test was the grip of the shoe and thus the safety aspect. A shoe that does not comply with this requirement is not suitable for our sport, as the personal safety of each canyoneer depends on it. adidas has already fulfilled this condition 100 percent and wrapped remarkable functionality in an extraordinary design.” The expected launch for the new adidas canyoning shoe is 2012.

backofbeyond
06-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Have you seen the bestards?
http://www.bestard.com/ficha_bota.php?idioma=eng&id_bota=465

spinesnaper
06-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Have you seen the bestards?
http://www.bestard.com/ficha_bota.php?idioma=eng&id_bota=465

Those are cool and they only weigh 1.170 grams for the size 8.:lol8:

canyonguru
06-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Yeah those are sweet where do you get them and how much are they?

canyonguru
06-22-2011, 07:57 AM
They took the adidas through lime stone and granate canyons. i bet if they went through sand stone they would have only lasted 15 canyons. Thats all my sportiva exum rivers lasted.

Scott Card
06-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Yah, that was my thought too. How many Mae West slots have these canyons seen? None. I do, however, like the bright orange. If I had a pair of these along with my 5.10's then I could accessorize a bit more. Although my red knee pad would not go too well with the bright orange. :lol8:

Apparently we canyoneers are not too subtle with our color choice or at least that is how we are perceived. Bumble bee yellow and now neon orange.

canyonguru
06-22-2011, 06:28 PM
yeah look at the goober in the front of the group picture. i can handle yellow no problem but that orange is pretty rough. The guy probably isn't a goober but those shoes are ugly as sin. I do like the Bestards quite a bit but not for over $200 bones.

mtthwlw
06-23-2011, 08:56 AM
i can handle yellow no problem but that orange is pretty rough. The guy probably isn't a goober but those shoes are ugly as sin.

I hate the yellow, but I'm willing to live with it until 5.10 changes color schemes, which they won't.

5-10 loves for everyone to notice those shoes when the thousands of stick-people walk down the Narrows with them on, and it's like a billboard for Zion Adventure Co. "Those shoes look real comfy for this water. Do they work? Where did you get them?"

The orange Adidas is somehow worse.

I'd prefer a gray color myself, but since the 5.10 shoes work well for me, I'll stick with them.

Iceaxe
06-23-2011, 09:23 AM
5-10 loves for everyone to notice those shoes when the thousands of stick-people walk down the Narrows with them on, and it's like a billboard for Zion Adventure Co. "Those shoes look real comfy for this water. Do they work? Where did you get them?"

We have a running joke when hiking out the Narrows. Every time we pass a hiker wearing bumblebees and carrying a ZAC hiking staff ya say CHA-CHING!

It's also interesting to note that Adidas considers the 5.10 Canyoneer to be the yard-stick by which they measure their prototypes. To me that says alot about the respect given the 5.10 Canyoneers.

spinesnaper
06-23-2011, 11:11 AM
We have a running joke when hiking out the Narrows. Every time we pass a hiker wearing bumblebees and carrying a ZAC hiking staff ya say CHA-CHING!

It's also interesting to note that Adidas considers the 5.10 Canyoneer to be the yard-stick by which they measure their prototypes. To me that says alot about the respect given the 5.10 Canyoneers.

Hey your very survival depends on that souvenir ZAC hiking staff. If nothing else, it could be burned as firewood for days. Makes me smile when I see those folks. At least you know they are open to suggestion.:haha:

Ken

ilipichicuma
06-23-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm starting to feel ashamed that that was the way I did the Narrows (before I got into canyoneering). :facepalm1: Though, I have to say, that stick was pretty helpful, though, now I think about it, pretty expensive for a stick.

moab mark
06-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Seems using a zipper doesn't give much room for adjustment?

spinesnaper
06-23-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm starting to feel ashamed that that was the way I did the Narrows (before I got into canyoneering). :facepalm1: Though, I have to say, that stick was pretty helpful, though, now I think about it, pretty expensive for a stick.

We all had to start somewhere. I think my first hiking poles for the Virgin River were a pair of bamboo cross country ski poles that were never the same after that. I also purchased a pair of 5.10 shoes for the hike. This was well before they perfected the construction of the shoes (maybe 1990). The soles of the shoes delaminated during the hike from the head waters. To the credit of Adventure 16, they took the shoes back.:nod:

oval
06-23-2011, 11:36 AM
They look interesting.

One thing I wonder about is the closure system. A zipper could be a pro, or a con. The plus with the canyoneer is that the straps (as much as I hate them flapping around) can tighten the fit of the shoe. A zipper alone, on the other hand, would seem to leave the fit of the shoe at a fixed volume, not allowing you to "cinch" it up more.

Of course, this is just looking at it from pictures. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Iceaxe
06-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Hey your very survival depends on that souvenir ZAC hiking staff.

So you get to keep the stick?

ilipichicuma
06-23-2011, 03:42 PM
So you get to keep the stick?

I didn't get to keep the stick. If people are getting to keep those sticks now, I totally got shafted!

canyonguru
06-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Well being one who dosen't only do canyons i bought a pair of 5.10 Savants and just put Seam Grip all over them. They acually look pretty cool, more like they were supose to have that stuff on there. So hopefully this will help out with the wear and tear of the couple of canyons i do a year. They look like the company made them with the Seam Grip on there the way i carfully brushed it on with my tiny brush and head lamp. (got a lot of crap from my wife makeing fun of me ) but like i said they look cool.

not the best lighting but i hope this helps

spinesnaper
06-23-2011, 07:46 PM
I didn't get to keep the stick. If people are getting to keep those sticks now, I totally got shafted!

OK, I'm the idiot. I just assumed that those hippie capitalists at ZAC made these poor souls buy those sticks.:lol8:

spinesnaper
06-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Canyonguru

You might want to consider reinforcing the area that I've circled. Love my Savants but they tend to blow out early for me in this area.

Ken

jpratt11
06-23-2011, 08:37 PM
I hike 90% of my canyons in Savants and they are going strong. I think I can get 20 - 30 canyons out of then at a min. Right now. I've done about 15 on them and they are great.

jpratt11
06-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Seems using a zipper doesn't give much room for adjustment?

Quite possible there is some type of lacing/strap system under that zipper. If they are using the Fivetens as a measuring stick they would be crazy to overlook the need for a tight fit.

mtthwlw
06-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Canyonguru

You might want to consider reinforcing the area that I've circled. Love my Savants but they tend to blow out early for me in this area.

Ken

Do these Savants have the same sizing issues as the Canyoneers? I'd be interested in getting a pair for my wife. She hates her Canyoneers. She doesn't like them for the approach, says they hurt her ankles. She will often bring a second pair of shoes for the approach and Id rather she started taking one pair of shoes into a canyon.

jpratt11
06-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Mine fit my foot a lot narrower than the canyoneers. I love that since I'm rarely wearing neo socks. So they definitely fit more like a normal hiking shoe.

CarpeyBiggs
06-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Do these Savants have the same sizing issues as the Canyoneers? I'd be interested in getting a pair for my wife. She hates her Canyoneers. She doesn't like them for the approach, says they hurt her ankles. She will often bring a second pair of shoes for the approach and Id rather she started taking one pair of shoes into a canyon.

i have the same problem with the canyoneers. i thought the newer ones resolved the problem, but i now have two pairs that both hurt my ankles now... the savants are awesome compared. but they just seem to fall apart way too fast.

ratagonia
06-24-2011, 02:57 PM
i have the same problem with the canyoneers. i thought the newer ones resolved the problem, but i now have two pairs that both hurt my ankles now... the savants are awesome compared. but they just seem to fall apart way too fast.

Biting into the Achilles? five.ten had a run in my size that did that, but they don't now. If you get that, return them to five.ten, get a new pair. They are defective.

If it is another problem, well, not so clear.

T

ratagonia
06-24-2011, 02:58 PM
I hike 90% of my canyons in Savants and they are going strong. I think I can get 20 - 30 canyons out of then at a min. Right now. I've done about 15 on them and they are great.

Huh, I got about 80 canyon days out of my last pair of canyoneers. about 20 were guide days, which are easy on the feet, but the rest were "real".

Tom :moses:

canyonguru
06-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Yeah thanks that is the same spot my shoes always wear out on the outside foot. I did two coats so far and will probably add a lot more to that area, thanks for the tip. The Savants fit me quite well and i will normaly be a 12.5 or 13 in a shoe depending on what type of shoe it is. I got the 13 so i can run my NEO socks during canyons but even with out the NEO socks on they still fit quite well. Do people run the SAR Canyoneer shoe at all or was that just a special shoe. wondering if that one would fit better for people being slightly different design.

CarpeyBiggs
06-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Biting into the Achilles? five.ten had a run in my size that did that, but they don't now. If you get that, return them to five.ten, get a new pair. They are defective.

If it is another problem, well, not so clear.

T

it's where the yellow mesh meets the neoprene, on the outside of the shoe. it makes a fold that compresses against the ankle bone, and hurts like hell on long approaches....

supercj
08-12-2011, 08:51 AM
5.10 is very easy to work with. I was just at the Outdoor Retailer Tradeshow as a photographer and they are one of the nicer booths to work with. They were gonna get me another free pair, but I requested the Camp Fours. I might try them on in a few canyons. I got my Canyoneer shoe a size too large so I could wear an extra pair of socks and they still ran a little big. I put in a lot softer and thicker of a sole and it actually helped. I've never had the ankle problem though. I am assuming that the Adidas Canyon shoe wont compare, like most, but obviously it's all personal opinion and the comfort and durability of the shoe, which 5.10 has done for myself. But they do kinda suck for the approach.

supercj
08-12-2011, 10:04 AM
I've broken to many zippers in canyons and got too much sand in zippers, making them nearly impossible to zip, to ever want to buy a canyon shoe with zippers.

Deathcricket
08-12-2011, 10:33 AM
I will probably buy a pair when they come out. I'm turning into a gear junkie I swear. :lol8:

The thing that appeals to me about the addidas is the higher ankle support. That is seriously my worst fear in a canyon (twisting an ankle), and I always feel my canyoneers don't give me that support I want. And the low ankles seems to let a lot more sand and debris in the top. To be honest, I've been using these shoes more and more often. They have sticky Vibram soles for traction, high abrasion overlays for the toes, and they are super comfortable to actually hike in. Superior to Canyoneers in almost every way. The only problem is they don't drain well, but all the water eventually gets out.

http://www.pacificnorthwestoutfitters.com/servlet/the-47/Mens-Columbia-TITANIUM-Daska/Detail?site=www.shopping.com

Spidey
08-13-2011, 02:16 PM
I will be getting a pair of the Adidas in the next couple of day's. They are sending me a pair to test and report back to them on how well they worked on the CP. I will give a report as soon as I have one.

nieder81
08-14-2011, 04:07 PM
I was just out at Outdoor Retailer and got a chance to see these things. They had a couple of things I liked and one feature that I did not like. The show uses a lacing system that is similar to the quick lace system on Salomon trail running shoes. This great improved the fit over the buckle system of the 5.10. The overall fit was better at least for me. The zipper is just a cover for the laces and helps to open up the upper part of the shoe. Similar to the velcro on the 5.10. The velcro strap at the top of the shoe gave the shoe a lot more ankle support. These shoes seem a lot better for longer approaches. The 5.10's in my opinion suck for long approaches but are killer once in canyon. The biggest disappointment was there seemed to be no way for water to drain. The materials in the shoe all seem waterproof. The upper chuff is all neoprene. The materials in the 5.10 do drain. I am definitely going to pick up a pair come early spring 2012. That was what I was told when they will be shipping.

Iceaxe
08-14-2011, 06:09 PM
I've broken to many zippers in canyons and got too much sand in zippers, making them nearly impossible to zip, to ever want to buy a canyon shoe with zippers.

I've broken the buckles off 5.10's more than once....

just sayin'.....

hank moon
08-14-2011, 06:20 PM
The biggest disappointment was there seemed to be no way for water to drain

If you are in deep water, draining is irrelevant; if shallow, there is no time between steps for much water to drain. question: when (if ever) is a fast-draining shoe important? and, does one exist?

Deathcricket
08-14-2011, 11:36 PM
I think most canyons have a period of wetness where you get your shoes wet, then a period where you walk on dry land, then a period where you walk in the water, then dry land. So drainage is important for the transition period. :lol8:

stefan
08-15-2011, 10:01 AM
If you are in deep water, draining is irrelevant; if shallow, there is no time between steps for much water to drain. question: when (if ever) is a fast-draining shoe important? and, does one exist?

I think the exum ridge is pretty fast draining but it gets beaten up pretty good in scrapey slots (and so not the best rough slot shoe)

I really appreciate the ridge's fast draining and fast drying when I'm backpacking and wading (not continuously) through water. it's one of the great pluses with the shoe ... not to mention the fact that it feels similar when wet as it does dry (to me at least)

spinesnaper
02-17-2012, 08:50 PM
So any news on the Adidas canyoneering shoes?

nieder81
02-18-2012, 10:28 PM
They will available 4/10. I just tried to order the, directly from Addias and they emailed me back saying they will be available then.

spinesnaper
02-18-2012, 11:13 PM
:2thumbs:

Ken

Iceaxe
03-05-2012, 04:21 PM
I see the French have a new Canyoneering shoe out.

CHAUSSURE TRITON (http://www.vaderetro.com/catalogue/1/3/sous-vetements-chaussures-et-accessoires-canyon.html)

ilipichicuma
03-05-2012, 05:34 PM
I see the French have a new Canyoneering shoe out.

CHAUSSURE TRITON (http://www.vaderetro.com/catalogue/1/3/sous-vetements-chaussures-et-accessoires-canyon.html)

Good to see that Five Ten has set the color standard for the canyoneering shoe world. :haha:

Bo_Beck
03-05-2012, 06:19 PM
So any news on the Adidas canyoneering shoes?

I just had 2 pair sent to me and since I'm an invalid with a gimp shoulder I hooked up a friend and told him to go beat the $#!+ out of 'em' and lets see if we can break them? Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to give a bit of a report?

Iceaxe
03-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Hydro Pro ADIDAS selling in Europe.

http://www.expe.fr/chaussures-hydro-pro-p6726.html?language=en

Price : 138.00 Eu

The French page has more info, but it's in frog:
http://www.expe.fr/hydro-pro-boots-p6726.html?language=fr

spinesnaper
03-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Where are the drain holes?

PG Rob
03-27-2012, 07:42 PM
You can get them here in the US:
http://agron.3dcartstores.com/CANYONING-BOOT--HIGH-ENERGYBLACKCHALK_p_269.html

You will need to register to purchase them... They are $175

luca
03-28-2012, 02:15 PM
I've tested them for several months and I find them very good and strong. Probably the best canyoning shoes I've ever had.

ghawk
03-28-2012, 03:53 PM
These look pretty cool... but do they come in yellow? :crazy:

luca
03-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Yes ofcourse, you can have also the yellow version of the Hydro-Pro.
The Yellow one is slightly different from the red.

Scott Card
03-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Interesting looking shoes. Are there adjustable straps under the decorative zipper and cover? I have a pretty narrow foot and I tighten up my 5.10's just about all the way for the foot box. Not sure a one size does fit all.

nieder81
03-29-2012, 11:50 AM
There is a quick lace system similar to what Salomon does with their trail running shoes. This is located under the zipper. I tried one on at Outdoor Retailer. For me at least the lacing system works better then the buckles. Plus the laces come down further then the buckles do.

luca
03-29-2012, 12:33 PM
That'sright!
With this lace system you can adjust the shoe also to your narrow foot just by pulling the quick lace system. Easy, fast and reliable, and your foot doesn't move anymore inside the shoe. I received the Hydro-Pro half size bigger than Ineeded (8.5 instead of 8), but I had no problems even during the approach without neoprene socks. On winter I wear 5mm thick neoprene socks with the same shoe. I used the 5-10 for more than 15 years, and for me it was the best canyoning shoe. After 18 months of test, I have to say that Hydro-Pro is definitely better.

Iceaxe
03-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Luca, thanks for the information. :2thumbs:

I need a new pair of canyoneering shoes and think I'll give them a try.

PG Rob
03-29-2012, 01:41 PM
I need a new pair of canyoneering shoes and think I'll give them a try.
PM me... I have a code for a special price!!

luca
03-29-2012, 02:26 PM
For moreinformation have a look at:
http://www.facebook.com/SwissCanyon1