PDA

View Full Version : News Apple to 'ban iPhone gig filming'

Sombeech
06-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Not sure if I consider the Sun to be "News", but page 3 was always interesting.

Anyways...

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01328/concert_682_1328706a.jpg Ban ... Apple plans to stop iPhone users from being able to film during concerts like Take That's

[B] IPHONE users may soon be stopped from filming at concerts

DiscGo
06-19-2011, 06:18 AM
Wow.

I can't believe iPhones are so popular when there are so many restrictions for iPhone users.

Skylinerider
06-19-2011, 07:22 AM
How would it know I was at a concert, and not little Jenny's school spelling bee?

bbennett
06-19-2011, 12:01 PM
How would it know I was at a concert, and not little Jenny's school spelling bee?

"A patent application filed by Apple revealed how the technology would work. If an iPhone were held up and used to film during a concert infra-red sensors would detect it. These sensors would then contact the iPhone and automatically disable its camera function."

I just recently got an iPhone (about two weeks ago). I love it so far but when I see things like this, or the free apps at Amazon that aren't available for the iPhone, I wish I would have just gotten a Droid. There are some things that I can do on the iPhone that I couldn't do on other phones (yet) but they aren't a big enough deal for me to maintain product loyalty. Apple's going to shoot itself in the foot with restrictions that are exclusive to the iPhone. When my next upgrade is available, I'm just going to go ahead and switch to the Droid so that I don't need to worry about stupid stuff like this.

CarpeyBiggs
06-19-2011, 12:07 PM

infrared sensors at the actual concert...

Skylinerider
06-19-2011, 12:13 PM
infrared sensors at the actual concert...

Ahhh, I see. I was thinking sensors in the phone, but it's saying infared sensors at the venue. I get happier all the time that I haven't drunk the apple kool-aid.

Kent K25
06-21-2011, 02:13 PM
What's to stop me from putting my phone in airplane mode so they can't communicate with it to disable the camera?

CarpeyBiggs
06-21-2011, 04:42 PM
i believe the technology is between the cameras and the infrared sensors, not on the network itself. wouldn't matter if you are in airplane mode or not. for all you know, the technology exists inside your phone already. it's getting event organizers to put up the infrared sensors that would be the other piece....

Deathcricket
06-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Utterly bizarre. Because watching a concert on a small youtube video with those awesome Iphone speakers being streamed to your computer via 256k is totally a substitute for the concert going experience...... Maybe the numbers are dropping cause the band sucks? Ya ever think of that you stupid ass promoter? :ne_nau:

Sombeech
06-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Utterly bizarre. Because watching a concert on a small youtube video with those awesome Iphone speakers being streamed to your computer via 256k is totally a substitute for the concert going experience...... Maybe the numbers are dropping cause the band sucks? Ya ever think of that you stupid ass promoter? :ne_nau:

Quoted For Truth

This is why most media promoters/managers/hippies pulled their heads out and realized that cameras should be allowed at concerts, and now are. When somebody posts the crappy video clip / blurry photo on facebook, the fanbase who didn't go to the concert says "oh dang, I missed that!" Sales actually hit a mild spike. (mild might be overstating it....) But to think that people will NOT purchase media because they are satisfied with their 34 second clip of "bootleg video" is --- well I don't want to rant anymore.

Iceaxe
06-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Just anther reason of why I'm not an Apple fanboi.

:cool2:

IntrepidXJ
06-23-2011, 04:59 PM
You guys know that this was just a patent that Apple applied for......do you know how many patents tech companies apply for and get that are never used? No need to concern yourself over this unless it actually materializes into something real...

dmMatrix
06-25-2011, 10:58 AM
I bet it will be years down the road that you will actually be seeing this anywhere but "BIG" cities. And that is even if the patent goes through. But then again, I'm sure it won't matter down the road because people will just figure out how to hack the system or something anyways :)

accadacca
06-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Yawn...

bigred72
06-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Yawn...

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbennett
04-12-2012, 01:10 PM
I don't know if they ever went through with it but after last night I'm suspicious. I went to see Yonder Mountain String Band at the Depot (great show BTW) and I got two very good videos on my iPhone. I woke today, somehow managed to remember filming them (the IPA's were also great) and grabbed my phone to check them out. Poof! Gone. WTF? It's like I never even took the videos. I've got plenty of memory on my phone so that's not the problem and I sure as hell wouldn't have erased them but they're gone nonetheless. I'm so disappointed. :cry1:

BruteForce
04-12-2012, 06:22 PM
So, Apple wants to control what we do and how we use the phone while Android will be capturing every little bit of data about you, your photos, your text messages, etc. Time to go back to an old school flip phone.

DOSS
04-13-2012, 06:30 AM
So, Apple wants to control what we do and how we use the phone while Android will be capturing every little bit of data about you, your photos, your text messages, etc. Time to go back to an old school flip phone.

At least with Android you can just say no, don't track my data, don't sync etc.. there are also some apps that once you Root your phone you can stop all of that as well :)