PDA

View Full Version : Heads up Mueller Park

moab mark
06-18-2011, 11:14 AM
I was up riding Mueller this morning on my motorcycle and ran into a Forest Ranger. Kern River is putting in a pipe line and you are not allowed to cross it. Mtn Bikers are tossing their bikes across the 12' deep trench and then jumping across. It is a $170 fine if caught doing this. I got the impression he was heading up there to hide in the bushes and make a killing today.

Mark

live2ride
06-18-2011, 06:55 PM
I headed up there today, it says nothing of a fine but I went up to it and would not have even attempted to toss my bike and climb across it, it is more like 15 feet deep and you would need a rope to cross it and there is no way you can jump the trench, they were doing it last week but the trench was only 5 feet deep. Mueller = CLOSED @ 1.5 miles. Bummer for my saturday ride.

Sombeech
06-18-2011, 09:48 PM
. It is a $170 fine if caught doing this.

Where did you get this info?

moab mark
06-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Where did you get this info?

Strange I replied to this last night but it must not of gone thru? I heard it from the Ranger at the start of the Mueller trail. He also said if you are caught riding parallel to the pipeline they would confiscate whatever you were riding and you would have to go to court to get it back. As live to ride stated the signs do not say anything about a fine but he said it is 170.

moab mark
06-19-2011, 11:08 AM
I headed up there today, it says nothing of a fine but I went up to it and would not have even attempted to toss my bike and climb across it, it is more like 15 feet deep and you would need a rope to cross it and there is no way you can jump the trench, they were doing it last week but the trench was only 5 feet deep. Mueller = CLOSED @ 1.5 miles. Bummer for my saturday ride.
Somewhere they were crossing it on Sat Morning. I ran into a big group on the North Canyon side and they said they handed their bikes across and jumped across. They need to put in a temp. bridge for the summer. I am surprised the Forest Service is allowing Kern River to close such a popular trail.

greyhair biker
06-19-2011, 03:22 PM
If the Forest Service is fining then there should be a posting on their website regarding this closure. Kern would have a temporary easement until the project is complete. The confiscation issue sounds suspect but it is possible to have happen. The whole thing is a safety/liability issue, thus the Forest Service would have to post reference to the project but not necessarily 'sign' the area of the trail closure. (my advise is free:mrgreen:)

live2ride
06-19-2011, 09:04 PM
sucked ass waking up early in the morning but there was no way in hell that you could hand your bike across anywhere near the trail actually crosses the trail. I was there with some trail runners that didn't even have bikes and they didn't even dare to climb into the trench. It is a shame if they don't work some kind of temp bridge for such a small little part of the trail. I know money is not a concern with Kern, Barnard Pipeline is one of my customers and they have no concerns when it comes to prices etc.

MTB addict
06-20-2011, 11:37 AM
FYI, you can ride up North Canyon, up and over into Mueller. From the North Canyon trail head over to the Mueller construction is about 9 miles, 1500 ft climbing, so it's a nice 18 mile/3000 ft climb ride.:nod:

sumsh
07-01-2011, 11:47 AM
FYI, my brother-in-law and his friend got cited for crossing the pipeline yesterday. They had no idea about the construction and didn't know the trail was closed. They started on the Mueller park side, and when they got to the pipeline, they just crossed it. When they came down the North Canyon side, a ranger was there waiting for them, and gave them both a $175 ticket. Apparently, he watches through a telescope for people that cross, then waits for them on the other side. My brother-in-law is going to go to court for the ticket and contest that the signage is inadequate.

accadacca
07-01-2011, 01:02 PM
That's messed up man. Scoping them out with a telescope! :nono:

Sombeech
07-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Apparently, he watches through a telescope for people that cross, then waits for them on the other side.

Somebody take a picture of this A-hole

live2ride
07-01-2011, 02:31 PM
it says nothing about a $175.00 dollar ticket on the sign, all it said when I was there is that the trail is closed aprox 1.5 miles ahead?

j3rd
07-05-2011, 02:09 PM
FYI, my brother-in-law and his friend got cited for crossing the pipeline yesterday. They had no idea about the construction and didn't know the trail was closed. They started on the Mueller park side, and when they got to the pipeline, they just crossed it. When they came down the North Canyon side, a ranger was there waiting for them, and gave them both a $175 ticket. Apparently, he watches through a telescope for people that cross, then waits for them on the other side. My brother-in-law is going to go to court for the ticket and contest that the signage is inadequate.

Yeah that was me, we were the 6th and 7th citation he'd handed out that day. Funny thing was that he walked us over the sign and had us read it and we still didn't understand it. There is also supposed to be a sign up a the pipeline, but apparently someone keeps tearing it down (go figure). I'll see what the court has to say about my $175 ticket. Oh and if you decide to risk this and get caught and lie to Mr. Underwood (the ranger) he will issue you a $300 citation since he's watching you through his 12x scope.

accadacca
07-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Report back and let us know what the court says. :popcorn:

Sombeech
07-05-2011, 04:13 PM
If somebody gets caught while wearing their helmet cam, keep it rolling and record the convo. :roll:

bbennett
07-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Somebody take a picture of this A-hole

:2thumbs:

bbennett
07-06-2011, 07:15 AM
If somebody gets caught while wearing their helmet cam, keep it rolling and record the convo. :roll:

Double :2thumbs:

RedSpecialized
07-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Just curiuos, how does the ranger pull you over? Couldn't just not stop? I don't know? Wouldn't think they'd have anything to identify you with....? Maybe I'm wrong?

sent from Samsung Epic 4g

Sombeech
07-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Just curiuos, how does the ranger pull you over? Couldn't just not stop? I don't know? Wouldn't think they'd have anything to identify you with....? Maybe I'm wrong?

Good question, how does this interaction happen exactly?

Me? Sorry bro, can't stop, I'm filming.

live2ride
07-07-2011, 12:30 PM
he screams really load and goes waaaaawhooo waaaaahoooo waaaaahooooo. HOOOOOKKK HOOOOOnk. I would hope they put a bridge in or if you cross just make sure you keep going the entire loop and don't come back down then you would be good to go.

REDFOX
07-07-2011, 08:16 PM

Redspecialized has been riding with me when I have ditched the camp ground host at the Mueller trail head. His electric golf cart is too slow. probably has happened atleast 6 times. Maybe this super ranger with the spotting scope has a posse with tasers. :lol8:

Sombeech
07-07-2011, 08:47 PM
he screams really load and goes waaaaawhooo waaaaahoooo waaaaahooooo. HOOOOOKKK HOOOOOnk. I would hope they put a bridge in or if you cross just make sure you keep going the entire loop and don't come back down then you would be good to go.

So is it down at the bottom parking lot?